Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What months are nest-building season for wasps?

Options
  • 17-05-2021 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

(Let me know please if there's a more suitable forum for this question!)

Would wasps usually have their nests all built by now, or are they just getting started maybe?

the end of our garage is quite open awaiting some repair work at the moment, exposing a few nice cosy spots up between rafters of the ceiling and garage roof ........where I just happened to see a wasp fly in yesterday.

I hung about for minute or so, didn't see him come back out of any holes in the ceiling, or notice any other wasps coming and going , but am bit worried now it might be the beginnings of a nest being built

So I'm wondering... what time of year does nest building typically begin or finish? as in if there's no wasp nest built there by now, does that mean there's unlikely to be one this season?
    The garage connects to kitchen so it's very much part of the house as opposed to having a wasp nest outside in a shed. Just trying to figure out if I might need to do anything soon before it becomes bigger problem maybe

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

There's currently a Wasp building a nest above my door - so they're building now for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I had a Wasp build a nest in my attic a few years I am into amateur radio so I had a hole for a cable which was not in use and they used that one to get in, sadly I had to call in a guy who injected a white powder in the nest and that was it, I hated having to do this but they were flying around in the attic and coming into the house if we left a window near the nest open. I would have done nothing if the nest had been outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

There's currently a Wasp building a nest above my door - so they're building now for sure.

Ok thanks, will have to look into it more now i guess. Hopefully if it's early stages they can be discouraged from nesting with powder or something , instead of having someone out and tearing chunks of ceiling down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Ok thanks, will have to look into it more now i guess. Hopefully if it's early stages they can be discouraged from nesting with powder or something , instead of having someone out and tearing chunks of ceiling down

You can purchase that powder in Woodies it kills them all in around an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I had one attempt to build a nest in my shed a week ago... I knocked down the initial start of the nest, she came back and started another one then... Which I knocked down also. I ended up killing the wasp at the point... As much as I didn't want to, I wanted no nest in my shed more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

mloc123 wrote: »
    I had one attempt to build a nest in my shed a week ago... I knocked down the initial start of the nest, she came back and started another one then... Which I knocked down also. I ended up killing the wasp at the point... As much as I didn't want to, I wanted no nest in my shed more.

yeah I definitely dont want to risk them setting up home in whats effectively indoors part of the house , coz they'll end up coming into the kitchen whenever we're going in and out of the garage

Advertisement