Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are good materials to read about Heritage Tourism cases?

Options
  • 26-03-2013 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

An example of a heritage tourism we were told about in college was when the Enniscorthy museum was opened it was decided to not show the 'pike' as it would be 'offensive' to the British.

I suppose Skellig Michael would be a Heritage Tourism case too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

An example of a heritage tourism we were told about in college was when the Enniscorthy museum was opened it was decided to not show the 'pike' as it would be 'offensive' to the British.

I can't believe that. Why not cover the GPO and/or Kilmainham with big tarpaulins then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

......... it was decided to not show the 'pike' as it would be 'offensive' to the British.

That sounds like an urban myth to me.
    Heritage Tourism cases have to include the difficulties surrounding the various Heritage Centres - Blaskets, Cliffs of Moher, etc. They are well documented. What could be much more interesting and productive would be to study those communities that have come together to produce books on 'local history'. There is one village in Tipp that produced their history in THREE volumes! The next step for those local groups would be to use their books as the basis for 'heritage' tourism, with professional assistance and funds, instead of the Govt wasting a bundle of mis-spent money on their propaganda that is the 'Gathering'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why would a pike be offensive to British tourists?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

A thread on our history being manipulated to suit political correctness is a good idea- the title may need to be changed to make that more clear but perhaps the OP might do that, if in agreement.

I was at the much vaunted Titanic museum in Belfast recently and noted that there was very little mention of the religious discrimination that took place in Harland and Wolff, nor of the shipyard strikes. To me a museum should tell the history of a place honestly, warts and all. The Titanic museum disappointed me in this regard. If they miss out on an aspect such as that then what else did they miss out. If a museum choses to leave out aspects of history they are distorting what is exhibited, and at a certain stage they can then be accused of being fictional rather than true.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

To clarify about the 'pike being offensive to the British' it was something to do with the Enniscorthy Museum I learned it in my b.a. in Heritage Tourism. I think there was some politican called Avril...something apart of it? I forgot the persons name.

I just have an interest in Heritage tourism problems I suppose but that titanic
    case sounds like a good one (to write about that is).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

To clarify about the 'pike being offensive to the British' it was something to do with the Enniscorthy Museum I learned it in my b.a. in Heritage Tourism. I think there was some politican called Avril...something apart of it? I forgot the persons name.

That can only have been Avril Doyle (Belton). (FG, MEP) It certainly is not the type of view/comment she would have held, given her record/pronouncements.
    You got it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Whilst not a museum in Ireland, I was at the 'Battle Box' (the WW2 underground command centre) in Singapore a few years ago. It had a display with a timeline account of the career of a certain AE Percival. Curiously, it omitted all details of his time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

That can only have been Avril Doyle (Belton). (FG, MEP) It certainly is not the type of view/comment she would have held, given her record/pronouncements.
    You got it wrong.

Unfortunetly I dumped my notes to make up space for my study I must go and see if I can clarify my facts.

Advertisement