Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you ever late for an interview?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I was never late but when I was younger and less responsible, I once showed up for an interview hungover. I have a tendency to talk an awful lot of shyte when hungover. I was 21 and just moved to London and was being interviewed for a reservations job in a hotel. The woman interviewing me (who was also Irish) asked me what I thought my previous boss said about me when she rang for a reference.

Without thinking, I came out with "oh did you ring Mark? what did he say?" :o This threw her for a second and she said that she hadn't actually rang him but what did I think he would say? I gave an answer and we had a good laugh about it and I got the job! I was pretty naive back then and she recognised I wasn't being intentionally disrespectful but I'd never say anything like that again. That was probably my worst booboo in an interview.

That was a stupid question she asked anyway. I was asked how my friends would describe me in an interview before...glad I didn't get that job. Idiotic question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I was late for one in Dublin on the day of these floods: https://www.epa.ie/pubs/reports/water/flows/Flooding%20on%20the%20East%20Coast%20-%2024th%20October%202011.pdf. The interview was in a far-flung place. I was not only late but looked like a drowned rat. They were kind of dicks about it. Anyone who was in Dublin that day knows how bad things were. Two people died. And it wasn’t forecast to be that bad which was why I went in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I received a great bit of advice years ago...that when a company is interviewing you for a job, they are doing so to see if you are the best, ideal candidate and a good fit to work for them.... during the interview you need to be evaluating them too.... are they going to be an ideal, fair and respectful employer? how have they treated you in the interview ? Left sitting for a crazy amount of time to wait ? how were you welcomed at the reception checking in for interview ? That goes a long way to indicate the lay of the land.. you need to be evaluating them too.. you are going to be good enough to make yourself available to work for them... that’s the focus rather then you being lucky and fortunate to have received a chance to interview or receive an offer....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I’ve never been late for an interview but over the 20 year career of being a manager I interviewed numerous people. If anyone was running late and got in touch, it was never an issue. Nor should it be.

If someone is unforgiving about genuine reasons being late, imagine what other pedantic behaviour and practices they have. It’s an alarm bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I had a job interview 2 weeks ago. Researched the company and tried to prepare for the questions. A lot of sites say you should be there 10 minuted before the allotted time. So I arrived almost exactly 10 minutes prior and was told to take a seat. Fecking 40 minutes later the HR lady comes out to me and didn't say a word about her tardiness. I think you should be on time and I agree it looks bad if you are late but its swings both ways. Very unprofessional when an employer leaves you sitting for 40 minutes waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

faceman wrote: »
    I’ve never been late for an interview but over the 20 year career of being a manager I interviewed numerous people. If anyone was running late and got in touch, it was never an issue. Nor should it be.

If someone is unforgiving about genuine reasons being late, imagine what other pedantic behaviour and practices they have. It’s an alarm bell.

True. In hindsight, I’m glad I didn’t work for people who were miffed at me arriving late because of truly treacherous weather.

I had a job interview 2 weeks ago. Researched the company and tried to prepare for the questions. A lot of sites say you should be there 10 minuted before the allotted time. So I arrived almost exactly 10 minutes prior and was told to take a seat. Fecking 40 minutes later the HR lady comes out to me and didn't say a word about her tardiness. I think you should be on time and I agree it looks bad if you are late but its swings both ways. Very unprofessional when an employer leaves you sitting for 40 minutes waiting.

This, that there was no apology and brief explanation as to why you are sitting there for 40 minutes is shîtty behavior.

Around 6 and a half years ago, I worked for a company who moved people between sites/factories pretty frequently. I got a call that I might be needed in a factory which was about 60km from where the office was. I had never been there before, but was told the managing director of my company was coming along to meet the manager too, so we agreed I'd drive behind him.

The MD changed his mind, and I left to drive basically an hour's drive in 40 minutes. Was late getting there, but rang my contact to say I'd be late.

I had been told that I was meeting with a manager on the site, but wasn't told it was an actual interview - again, normal process with that company was to drop in to a new place as the work required it.

Walked in late, apologised, was handed a copy of my cv to my surprise. Did the interview, got the job. Still work there (but for the factory company now) 6 and a half years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Strumms wrote: »
    This, that there was no apology and brief explanation as to why you are sitting there for 40 minutes is shîtty behavior.

I'd have expected an update,an apology and an offer of a cup of tea while that wait was going on.

To thine own self be true

I'd have expected an update,an apology and an offer of a cup of tea while that wait was going on.

Same, it’s a respect thing. Everyone should want to work for a company that will respect them from minute one of them ‘getting to know’ one another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Something like that shouldn't have happened but I know of one incident where it did and the recruitment agent in the middle was the one who had gotten the time wrong.

Company didn't know effectively that the person had expected to be interviewed half an hour earlier, they just thought they were extra keen, which can happen a in interview scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I sometimes interview potential candidates in work. We had a young chap in last year who phoned to say he would be 15 mins late as the traffic was bad. Fine with me - Sh1t happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yes was late once. I had misheard the time he arranged it on the phone. Luckily I was there really early(or what I thought was early) to go over some interview questions in my mind and then he rang me asking where I was. We just joked about it and it was fine, I guess he didnt mind seeing as he knew I was just downstairs waiting the whole time and it was a misunderstanding, not lateness.Anyway still got the job, so I dont think its that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Yes I was about 15 minutes late for the interview for my current employer. It's in Sandyford business district and I just couldn't find anywhere to park there (the company has parking but assigned to employees - no visitor parking). I explained the issues I had finding somewhere to park and they had no problem with it. Anyway, got the job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Was over an hour late for an interview. ****head I worked with wouldn't let me leave until I had something completed. I was too junior and young to have the balls to just walk out. Didn't get the job but left the other one soon after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Greyfox wrote: »
    I'm always late, every job/college/school ive had have warned me about been late but I've never been late for an interview, there too important and compeditive to ever take such a risk. Been late is usually a clear sign that your not to bothered about the job

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah once, I live in Sydney and went for a job interview about 4 years ago. It was the middle of Australian summer and on this particular day was about 38C outride. Had the interview at 2pm so around the hottest time of the day. I left the place I was working in around 1 and in my infinite wisdom decided it would be a good idea to change into my suit inside my car which was like a sauna, well into the 40’s inside. Anyway, I get it on with the help of the aircon pumping out full blast and make my way to the place.

The company was located on a fairly busy road and if you missed the turn into their car park you’d have to loop around a block again which could take another 10-15mins with traffic. I decided to just go to the large shopping centre down around the corner and park up there. By the time I navigated my way out of there and into the searing heat outside, it was pushing on 1.50. The walk was a good 15-20mins away so I knew I was going to be late. The pre interview nerves combined with the unbearable heat and the realisation that I was going to be dead late had me panicking and bucketing sweat. At one point I started sprinting up the road to try make up the time. Must have been some sight seeing this clown in a suit in 38C weather legging it up a road.

Finally got there around 2.10, red as a tomato, sweat absolutely p!ssing out of me and I was shaking. It must’ve been 15mins or so into the interview when I only began to stop sweating. Kept wiping the sweat off my forehead with the sleeve of my suit jacket every ten seconds which, at this point, was soaking wet.
    The interview itself didn’t go too great and to the surprise of nobody, I ended up not being offered the job. Still cringe when I think back to it!

I was late about 5 minutes for a panel interview at a university, height of summer and misjudged the traffic. I ran the last 5 minutes to make up some time. I arrived flustered, sweating and panted through an opening presentation. It was neither a good look or a decent presentation.

And no, you don't need to ask :D

Edit - just read Cake Man's post, and yeah brings back memories, I did the whole wiping my hand across my brow several times thing too. Fupping ridiculous situation, can laugh at it now. Then, not so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I've done a number of interviews and I can honestly say I've never been late, I think if you want a job you'll prepare properly for it and part of that preparation is getting there in time, do a trial run if you have to.

If I'm 30mins away from my place of interview I'll leave 1.5hrs in advance, this gives me plenty of time if something goes wrong. And if you get there an hour early, then sit in your car or a cafe etc and revise some notes.

Make the effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭jacool

I was a few minutes late once for the second interview.
    Had all the homework done as per first interview. Came back early for second to find visitor's car park full (where I had parked in round 1).
    Drove out to abandon car on main road and found sign for second car park round the back of the site.
    Was legging it back around when saw interviewer going out to security to see if I had picked up my badge!
    Got the job, but goes to show, something can go wrong even if you think you have it all sussed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

I cancelled one interview because I was already 20 minutes late for it. I was out of work and needed a job badly but I got caught in traffic jam.
    After they called me twice asking me politely but impatiently where the f*ck I was while I was still a good 15 minutes away I told them I was turning around and going home.
    I apologised for wasting their time and thanked then in a genuine manner for considering me for the position but it was obvious that if I couldn't make the interview in good time then there is no way I'd be able to make it in to work reliably from where I lived. I had recently bought my home and I wasn't going to move or do a three hour commute each day.
    Traffic jams are, were and will always be a scourge on Dublin reducing quality of life for all who live and work there.

jacool wrote: »
    I was a few minutes late once for the second interview.
    Had all the homework done as per first interview. Came back early for second to find visitor's car park full (where I had parked in round 1).
    Drove out to abandon car on main road and found sign for second car park round the back of the site.
    Was legging it back around when saw interviewer going out to security to see if I had picked up my badge!
    Got the job, but goes to show, something can go wrong even if you think you have it all sussed!

Congrats, always great to get the job.

I know things can go wrong, if someone was unfortunate enough to end up in a crash for example then you'd almost certainly miss the interview.

But again I like to do a lot of forward planning when I'm going for interviews, if a car park is full you should have plenty of spare time to use another car park near by, which preferably you'll have sussed in advance.

Anyway I don't think interviews mind someone being a couple of minutes late, but it should be avoided as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Once yes because I couldn’t for the life of me find the place

rivegauche wrote: »
    I cancelled one interview because I was already 20 minutes late for it. I was out of work and needed a job badly but I got caught in traffic jam.
    After they called me twice asking me politely but impatiently where the f*ck I was while I was still a good 15 minutes away I told them I was turning around and going home.
    I apologised for wasting their time and thanked then in a genuine manner for considering me for the position but it was obvious that if I couldn't make the interview in good time then there is no way I'd be able to make it in to work reliably from where I lived. I had recently bought my home and I wasn't going to move or do a three hour commute each day.
    Traffic jams are, were and will always be a scourge on Dublin reducing quality of life for all who live and work there.

I worked a lot in Dublin city as a contractor during the recession and the traffic was ok, probably because I was driving a van and was able to be in there for 6.30am and got going no later than 4pm. Also there wasn't as much traffic on the roads.

But only last year I worked in an office in the city centre commuting by bus and it was a living nightmare. I live about 15 miles outside the centre and it took 1.5hrs door to door, I couldn't get out of there quick enough. Some people had the same commute time as me but said they loved working in the city, so they didn't mind.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but I got a better paid job this year that's 15min drive away now. Happy days :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

kippy wrote: »
    How would you deal with it if the roles were reversed?

In my position the roles could never be reversed in a like-for-like basis.
    That is to say, I would be interviewing a candidate who has already passed two interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm always on time. I hate tardiness. Whether it was school, college, job interviews or a job, I'm always on time. But that's just me.

If I was interviewing someone and they were late, I would certainly not hold that against them, or refuse to interview. The company could lose out on an amazing candidate because they got on their high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Your Face wrote: »
    In my position the roles could never be reversed in a like-for-like basis.
    That is to say, I would be interviewing a candidate who has already passed two interviews.

Thats not what I asked you, but fire away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

rivegauche wrote: »
    Could you have went along for the interview experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Interviews can be tough enough, but if nothing else be bloody sure to control the controllables!

Be there on time, dress appropriately and be sure to have memorised the interviewers' names. Smile at/greet everyone you encounter and so on. Have done countless interviews on both sides over the years, and the amount of people who can't even do all of the above is astounding. Why make things hard on yourself?

Its not too difficult in this day and age with Google Maps and so on, to plan your route to a tee. You're far better off sitting in a car than sitting at home going over your notes. If you need to get public transport, get an earlier/train bus and sit in a coffee shop if you have to. If you can at all - take the day off, work at home, call in sick, whatever - don't be in a position you're rushing to your interview destination from your existing place of work, and you turn up with your jacket hanging off you and shirt half tucked in. It happens and looks absolutely terrible.

However as has been mentioned, don't turn up too bloody early either! Its annoying for the company having someone just sitting around for ages beforehand. Turning up to the company itself 10 minutes early is the ideal in my view. They'll often see you a bit earlier too if they can

Of course things happen, accidents and so on, but once someone rings ahead in advance, most companies should be absolutely fine with that I imagine

That said its generally always more than one round of interviews anymore, so if you're well on time and presentable for your other interview(s) it should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

On another note, and from speaking to others also, the amount of interviewees who will direct all of their answers towards the more senior interviewer is astounding, no matter who the question comes from.

There'll generally be a HR rep involved or a junior on the team you're joining, give them as much attention as you can also.

Oh and no thank you notes or emails after the interview!! You have enough time to thank them in person when the interview concludes. The same goes for sending emails looking for a follow up, a day after the interview. The process can take time - respect that! If you're a viable candidate they're hardly going to forget about you, they will get back to you

Advertisement