Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores

Options
  • 05-11-2019 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭

I had an hour this evening and I said I do a analysis on the stores I bought this year for finishing next year. In total my figures are as follows I have 69 stores for next year, I have done an estimate of there weight at housing this week and have done costings at them going into the shed. There are

43 FR
    6 CH
    10 AA/LM
    10 HE

Average weight at purchase was 359 kgs and they cost 574 euro inc fees and transport or 1.6/kg

They have been on average on the farm 75 days before housing if I cost that at 35c/day they are standing me approx 601 euro at housing. I have averaged them at 421 kgs each and at housing they are costing me 1.43/kg

I have done a projection on what they will slaughter at
    FR=330kgs
    HE=330kgs
    AA/Lm=310 kgs
    CH=365 kgs

I have done a cash projection at a base of 3.7/kg average next year and at 3.5/kg
    @ 3.7/kg they will average 1199/head
    @3.5/kg they will average 1127/head

Generally my costs run around 350/head for a 12 month turn around

If the average slaughter weight drops or is above by 10kgs/head It effect the price by about 35-37/head.

Looking at the stores this year compared to other years as I have stopped buying a few weanlings I expect that these will slaughter 20-40 days layer than usual.

Any taughts

Slava Ukrainii

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

How many months old are these?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

How many months old are these?

About 20-21 months old on average.

Slava Ukrainii

Do you have a favoured processor for these? Kepak like the angus I supply them. But I am not sure about how the like overage cattle.

Do you have a favoured processor for these? Kepak like the angus I supply them. But I am not sure about how the like overage cattle.

With friesians you have to shop around as at times flat pricing goes on. It getting more and more critical to slaughter sub 30 months so if possible get them out then.

Slava Ukrainii

What is your meal bill like? Do you have a bin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

😬

What is your meal bill like? Do you have a bin?
    Yes I have a meal in. Stores get no ration over winter only middling quality silage. Ration is fed for 6-10 weeks pre slaughter 3 kgs/head. Some Friesians went this year with only 4 weeks feeding.
    Average would be 35 euro /head approx for cattle killed before September.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭squinn2912

How long will you have them? I’m not sure I’ve picked that up right. Looking like 12 months so cost about €925 and hopefully they’ll make 1200 leaving €275 for you?

squinn2912 wrote: »
    How long will you have them? I’m not sure I’ve picked that up right. Looking like 12 months so cost about €925 and hopefully they’ll make 1200 leaving €275 for you?

I be sending them for slaughter from mid June on I expect to have over 50 gone by September 1st. I be hoping that if prices are at that level that those will be the figures.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Best of luck. But lm out. (Dragons Den)

• Advertisement

I be sending them for slaughter from mid June on I expect to have over 50 gone by September 1st. I be hoping that if prices are at that level that those will be the figures.

Are my sums right or have I missed something? If they were all to leave that then you’d be looking at 18k I think. Based on getting them away after a year. After that I see the mention of 20 days at 35cents is €7

Are my sums right or have I missed something? If they were all to leave that then you’d be looking at 18k I think. Based on getting them away after a year. After that I see the mention of 20 days at 35cents is €7

The 35c/day is what I consider my costs to be to get them into the shed from the time I bought them. It's just to give an idea of the cost/value of buying early as opposed to late in the year.The average animal was bought 75 days pre housing. So it added 26 euro to the cost as opposed to buying similar store's to what I bought nearer housing. Early next summer with heavier store's grass costs climb to 50c/day. Overwintering costs are sub 1euro/day. Add dosing vetinary, pre sale ration transport/ sales and buying costs and my projected costs are 350/ year. To achieve a 12 month average turnaround I need 50% gone by August 1st and everything slaughtered by the end of September approximately given that first sales start in June

I gave the projected sale value off an average base price 3.75/kg with new QA bonus of 20c added. I have given projected DW''s and worked off what I think there projected grades will be. 2.75/kg would require a base of near 4/kg in late May/early June to an Autumn base of 3.5/kg. Not too sure if that is attainable but I have also given projections on how 10c/kg or 10kgs extra/less will effect price.

While 18k might seem the profit It would all depend on store replace price next summer/Autumn. This is effected by price but also there availability and my ability to buy them nd have grass for them.

However you have to remember I am on good quality land and I am buying a store in mid summer that demand is poor for.. TBH all this is is a projection. Given that we all buy and sell cattle it a business plan based on that

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Think you mentioned before that you give animals a shake of a mineral over the winter. I let stock have a beef mineral lick. Is it a waste would you think ? Also any point in throwing stock 1/1.5 kg of barley over winter or do you beleive maximum benifit from meal is at grass ?

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Think you mentioned before that you give animals a shake of a mineral over the winter. I let stock have a beef mineral lick. Is it a waste would you think ? Also any point in throwing stock 1/1.5 kg of barley over winter or do you beleive maximum benifit from meal is at grass ?

Minerals licks are an expensive way of feeding minerals. They are especially expensive in sheds as cattle are bored and will use the luck for the sake of something to do. Bagged minerals work out much cheaper. I bought 10bags +1free for 19/bag. An animal recieving 80gramms/day is costing 5.5c/day.
    In general a bucket will costuchbtge same as a back but a pen of cattle will use it in a week's at a cost of 30-40c/day.

My thinking on rations is that cattle at present prices are at Brest breaking even with flesh gained by feeding it. I feed on grass to get FS and nothing else.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Bass
    if I might question you a bit further if you are buying 75 days before housing and your animals do .75 kg ADG thats an extra 50 odd kilos for 35 euro.
    So say 75 euros worth of animal for 35 euro so its an advantage to you rather than a cost if I explained it correctly!!
    Please delete the thread or everyone will copy you...

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Bass
    if I might question you a bit further if you are buying 75 days before housing and your animals do .75 kg ADG thats an extra 50 odd kilos for 35 euro.
    So say 75 euros worth of animal for 35 euro so its an advantage to you rather than a cost if I explained it correctly!!
    Please delete the thread or everyone will copy you...

It is not the fittest, the fastest or the most intelligent that survive but rather those that adapt. I will adapt.

To answer your question yes its an advantage. Most will think it is cheaper to buy in late autumn. On a price/kg basis yes it is. I have a picture of three store in the November photo competition. I bought 6 of them at 360 kgs average in late May. Now they were value the day I bought but today across the six I think ( I may be wrong) they are above 500kgs average. Too many finishers are caught in the 60-100 day system. or a calf to beef system.

Two sharp men were making excuses today one lad sold summer store that left less than 100 each. The other lad sold over 30 months (used to draw payment) cattle that left less than 200 each. As I said to one of them if any animal leaves less than 500 each I question why I bought them. Yes I make mistakes but I understand that I need 350/head to break even.

Will some lad copy my system he is more than welcome to, but to survive he need to adapt every 2-3 years,

By the way I could look a right idiot this time next year if assumptions are incorrect.

Slava Ukrainii

It is not the fittest, the fastest or the most intelligent that survive but rather those that adapt. I will adapt.

To answer your question yes its an advantage. Most will think it is cheaper to buy in late autumn. On a price/kg basis yes it is. I have a picture of three store in the November photo competition. I bought 6 of them at 360 kgs average in late May. Now they were value the day I bought but today across the six I think ( I may be wrong) they are above 500kgs average. Too many finishers are caught in the 60-100 day system. or a calf to beef system.

Two sharp men were making excuses today one lad sold summer store that left less than 100 each. The other lad sold over 30 months (used to draw payment) cattle that left less than 200 each. As I said to one of them if any animal leaves less than 500 each I question why I bought them. Yes I make mistakes but I understand that I need 350/head to break even.

Will some lad copy my system he is more than welcome to, but to survive he need to adapt every 2-3 years,

By the way I could look a right idiot this time next year if assumptions are incorrect.

Fair play to you putting yourself out in the open like that! 500 is a lot to expect but you know your game very well. At the moment we have a lot of extra feed so I was thinking of buying a few to eat it but no point unless they would leave anything otherwise it’s just work

Fair play to you putting yourself out in the open like that! 500 is a lot to expect but you know your game very well. At the moment we have a lot of extra feed so I was thinking of buying a few to eat it but no point unless they would leave anything otherwise it’s just work

The first thing is you need to be able to get animal performance. No point in putting 150 kgs on cattle over a grazing season you need to be getting 200kgs +. Every cost need to be looked at and you need to stop bidding when the margin is no longer there.

However stores are becoming scarce again they will climb in price from now on. It's easier to get a 600euro store to 1100 than it is to get a 900euro store to 1400. A big change is that sine BSE has been eradicated you get less stunted runtish cattle when you buy poorer quality lots.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You'd hardly get a bad dog for €600 round here.

But l 100% agree with your valuations and where things need to be.

Muckit wrote: »

As a rule of thumb I’d have thought an animal should be making £1/day on farm

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »

Bad dogs can be where the money is

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Talked to a couple last week, who went to Australia for almost a month to see family etc,.
    Paid €32 per day, to have their dog and cat taken care of in one of those kennel / cattery places!!!! They had to supply the food on top🥶.
    Jeez .... who would be arzing with cattle??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

True and if the bad dog is cheap enough you might be able to get two of them for the price of a good one. Plus if he isn't badly treated when young they can turn out ok. Had 7 FRs bought last December 400gks at €530 average €1,078 last week. Once they got their first dose you could see them improve every week.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    True and if the bad dog is cheap enough you might be able to get two of them for the price of a good one. Plus if he isn't badly treated when young they can turn out ok. Had 7 FRs bought last December 400gks at €530 average €1,078 last week. Once they got their first dose you could see them improve every week.

They probably killed 340 kgs DW so gained 280-289 kgs LW in 11 months better than 0.8kgs gain/day. 540 euro gross margin and more than likely over 30 months and O- grading or worse.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    At best you probably had 250 out of them net but more than likely 200. Not bad going for almost 12 months and fellas be laughing at you in the mart why are you buying those yokes. You probably had more and far less hassle than the guy who has tied up his money in a suckler cow and a fancy 900e weanling for his efforts.
    I have nothing against suckler farmers but just showing that there is more and better outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

There is as much in a friesian (if not more) as any but they have to bought at the right money. Bought a load of hungry yearlings off a dealer one spring a few years ago. 50/50 p’s and o’s. they done .98kg a day on grass for 200 days. Was happy with that but I paid too much for them.
    If we were all buying stores in the summer to kill the following Summer there’d be nothing in it for anyone either. The way I see the thing at the minute one man has to make a loss for the next lad to make anything.
    Bought 8 forward store limousine bullocks at the end of the mart last December. Killed them in June without meal and made 600 gross margin on them. I made a nice twist on them. The lad that reared them for nearly two years probably lost money on them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Cavanjack wrote: »
    There is as much in a friesian (if not more) as any but they have to bought at the right money. Bought a load of hungry yearlings off a dealer one spring a few years ago. 50/50 p’s and o’s. they done .98kg a day on grass for 200 days. Was happy with that but I paid too much for them.
    If we were all buying stores in the summer to kill the following Summer there’d be nothing in it for anyone either. The way I see the thing at the minute one man has to make a loss for the next lad to make anything.
    Bought 8 forward store limousine bullocks at the end of the mart last December. Killed them in June without meal and made 600 gross margin on them. I made a nice twist on them. The lad that reared them for nearly two years probably lost money on them.

+1 on there not being a margin for more than one operater. The only way to make a turn on any cattle atm is for either the buyer or seller to get burnt, in other words for you to make money the previous man has to lose it. This is only business of course but it's not sustainable in the long term, once bitten twice shy comes to mind. You can only squeeze so much out of anything before there's nothing left and the weanling, store and indeed fat cattle producer is fast approaching this point.

On the face of it it seems very short sighted of the processor's to put such a strangle hold on there primary producers, there current treatment of the beef producers is jeopardizing future confidence and supplies. I'm undecided as to whether they (factories) are simply showing reckless bravado in an attempt to sink the boot in us (farmer's) when we're down or whether they can import sufficient amounts of product and are prepared to continue without us if necessary. Either way anyone that thinks that the current status quo can or will continue is misguided imo. All facet's of the beef production cycle are equally in danger and we're too busy bickering amongst ourselves to see who's really pulling the rug out from under us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

+1 on there not being a margin for more than one operater. The only way to make a turn on any cattle atm is for either the buyer or seller to get burnt, in other words for you to make money the previous man has to lose it. This is only business of course but it's not sustainable in the long term, once bitten twice shy comes to mind. You can only squeeze so much out of anything before there's nothing left and the weanling, store and indeed fat cattle producer is fast approaching this point.

On the face of it it seems very short sighted of the processor's to put such a strangle hold on there primary producers, there current treatment of the beef producers is jeopardizing future confidence and supplies. I'm undecided as to whether they (factories) are simply showing reckless bravado in an attempt to sink the boot in us (farmer's) when we're down or whether they can import sufficient amounts of product and are prepared to continue without us if necessary. Either way anyone that thinks that the current status quo can or will continue is misguided imo. All facet's of the beef production cycle are equally in danger and we're too busy bickering amongst ourselves to see who's really pulling the rug out from under us.

May well be the end goal of the factories and retailers to squeeze the Irish farmer out of existance and then they have free reign to import all the beef they need for much less, works out cheaper for everyone to squeeze until we can take no more rather than paying us to use our land as a carbon sink a la the 5% reduction in nitrates via the BEEP scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

To be honest though lads - farmers have been beating the same drum of ‘we can’t afford to keep doing this’ for a long time, and guess what - lads are still farming. The line of ‘only profit for one lad in an animal’ has been going for a good while, it’s not new...

Then there is another thread on here, where a few people have said farming isn’t all about the financials...

Farmers say they can’t afford to keep doing it, then use non-financial, sentimental reasons to justify doing it. And round and round we go... The factories know this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

kk.man wrote: »
    At best you probably had 250 out of them net but more than likely 200. Not bad going for almost 12 months and fellas be laughing at you in the mart why are you buying those yokes. You probably had more and far less hassle than the guy who has tied up his money in a suckler cow and a fancy 900e weanling for his efforts.
    I have nothing against suckler farmers but just showing that there is more and better outside the box.

Ah you are right. I am never to fussed about what I buy once I think there is a turn in them. I have suckler cows too and I sell most of them off as store heifers or forward store bullocks as my land just wouldnt but the fat on Lm without meal but it will on Fr, AA Hex. Them Fr were killed just under 30 months and 4 of them graded O's so they done ok in my book. I think if people work to the strengths of their own farm & let others do the trend setting then you will make money.

Advertisement