Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maybe I’m being to sensitive?

Options
  • 02-11-2019 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Obviously this isn’t a new arrival but it’s really starting to annoy me how the vegan side is portraying farming.... it’s always in the worse possible light that they try to convey their opinion

One post I say was all about the valve being taken from it mother and how cruel that is and such, but did they ever think maybe the calf wasn’t been cared for.

Obviously there will be some places where abuse happens! That the same with all businesses! But I hate the painting of a way of life that Ireland has been born on is being slaughtered...

I’m all for climate change, but a vegan was ranting about how animals are treated and what they do to the clime while flying on a plane all around America?

Are people so much involved in their own world that they have no perspective at all...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Bit like the rest of society vegans fall into two groups. Those that do their own thing and keep to themselves or the arsehole type who are all mouth and no brains, extremists, fascists actually.

Veganism is no more in tune with the climate or biodiversity than the farming of animals is.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

_Brian wrote: »
    Bit like the rest of society vegans fall into two groups. Those that do their own thing and keep to themselves or the arsehole type who are all mouth and no brains, extremists, fascists actually.

Veganism is no more in tune with the climate or biodiversity than the farming of animals is.

I just find it mad that they completely ignore that if it wasn’t meat that produced to the max that anyone can(hopefully in the best manner possible) with animal welfare in the front, that all this would just turn to try mass produce vegetables.... Irish farms I think are one of the best for animal welfare, it’s our hertitary and history so I would hope we can do the beat for everyone....

But these vegans and whatever else are just a bit mad imo!
    Have no issue with someone making the choice and just getting I. With life, but it losses me off with all the social media **** without really knowing the truth!

As I mentioned es I also find it maddening that farmers seem to be getting blamed.... I wonder how many cows have to let off emisión to cover a jet or a manufacturing plant or a oil rig!

Everyone has a part to play, but blaming one doesn’t solve the issue, it just hides it

Sorry a bit of a rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Live and let live is my motto - don't try to shove religious, moral/ethical beliefs down another's throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

For a start it's 'too'.

Branding farmers as thick uneducated morons is a favoured tactic.

I am aware the poster could be a plant(!).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭Base price

riemann wrote: »
    For a start it's 'too'.

Reckon so after viewing this other thread that OP posted on F&F shortly after ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111664275&postcount=1

• Advertisement

jus_tin4 wrote: »
    I just find it mad that they completely ignore that if it wasn’t meat that produced to the max that anyone can(hopefully in the best manner possible) with animal welfare in the front, that all this would just turn to try mass produce vegetables.... Irish farms I think are one of the best for animal welfare, it’s our hertitary and history so I would hope we can do the beat for everyone....

But these vegans and whatever else are just a bit mad imo!
    Have no issue with someone making the choice and just getting I. With life, but it losses me off with all the social media **** without really knowing the truth!

As I mentioned es I also find it maddening that farmers seem to be getting blamed.... I wonder how many cows have to let off emisio cover a jet or a manufacturing plant or a oil rig!

Everyone has a part to play, but blaming one doesn’t solve the issue, it just hides it

Sorry a bit of a rant!

No more than every farmer is a thick uneducated moron not every vegan goes about shouting from the roof tops about it nor abusing farmers either.

I think it’s important to acknowledge that.

The extremists are a different matter and their fascist rhetoric needs to be called out each time for what it it, much of it borders on hate speech against farmers. We do need to look closer to home and call out farmers who don’t farm to the appropriate standards though, they just give these extremists a stick to beat us with.

Some of what is talked about I would agree with.
    I don’t like caged chicken farming.
    Intensive pig units
    Permanently housing of cows
    Live shipment of calves/cattle isn’t great animal welfare either, videos of failures in the system are all too common.

But the alternative is good animal farming not no animal farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 crunambo

Wha do you mean by “I’m all for climate change”???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

A Friend of mine who went down a strong vegan road for a year or so, we both had reasonably civil and interesting conversions about the whole topic in fairness. He knew his stuff about nutrition, and he made a good effort to balance out anything he was lacking in the vegan diet etc, however that didn't stop him eventually shedding 10kg or so that he didn't hugely have to shed, he started back with eggs 1stly, then scrapped the whole vegan diet fully. And he admitted to me afterwards that he found his old vegan community (which was part of his work also) extremely unsupporting at the time, and it was a near cult alike exit for him, that it defo wasn't the vegan diet, instead other issues with him etc etc.

So yep I don't see the whole thing as much more than a cult, I'll happily have a civil argument with whoever of why I certainly don't agree with any sort of strict vegan diet, instead I'll always encourage the other people to go study the facts, and form theirown world/environment opinions rather than latching onto bandwagons like veganism at the min.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

crunambo wrote: »
    Wha do you mean by “I’m all for climate change”???

Ah it's just probably Leo Varadkar buttering up the electorate for the elections..:pac:

Timmaay wrote: »
    A Friend of mine who went down a strong vegan road for a year or so, we both had reasonably civil and interesting conversions about the whole topic in fairness. He knew his stuff about nutrition, and he made a good effort to balance out anything he was lacking in the vegan diet etc, however that didn't stop him eventually shedding 10kg or so that he didn't hugely have to shed, he started back with eggs 1stly, then scrapped the whole vegan diet fully. And he admitted to me afterwards that he found his old vegan community (which was part of his work also) extremely unsupporting at the time, and it was a near cult alike exit for him, that it defo wasn't the vegan diet, instead other issues with him etc etc.

So yep I don't see the whole thing as much more than a cult, I'll happily have a civil argument with whoever of why I certainly don't agree with any sort of strict vegan diet, instead I'll always encourage the other people to go study the facts, and form theirown world/environment opinions rather than latching onto bandwagons like veganism at the min.

Veganism is a moral decision based on their personal viewpoint and not based on the best nutritional diet for humans, its not what is best for biodiversity or climate either.

I respect the decision, as long as Vegans respect my decision to farm animals and consume animal products..

Thats the key, respect has to be shown in both directions.

They can't expect respect for their decision if they go about bad mouthing farmers, good farming practice or anyone who isnt Vegan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

riemann wrote: »
    For a start it's 'too'.

Why would a plant be using a forum. They are more likely to be in a field somewhere.

I'll get my wellies :)

For the record. I think the only way to solve the vegan problem is to give them a nice T bone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I got duped into watching gamechangers on Netflix last night, its advertised as sports nutrition however its just pure vegan propaganda. Anyways there is a "scientific study" half way though where 3 professional sports athletes are fed a meat supper, that night they have the strength and duration of their erections measured that nights sleep hahaha, the next evening they are feed a plant based supper, and same measurements again, and wow its a miracle their boners are 10% stronger and last 300% longer hahaha. How on earth are people gullible enough to fall for that sort of fake science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Let's not be laughing at vegans..... They're people too....... I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I got duped into watching gamechangers on Netflix last night, its advertised as sports nutrition however its just pure vegan propaganda. Anyways there is a "scientific study" half way though where 3 professional sports athletes are fed a meat supper, that night they have the strength and duration of their erections measured that nights sleep hahaha, the next evening they are feed a plant based supper, and same measurements again, and wow its a miracle their boners are 10% stronger and last 300% longer hahaha. How on earth are people gullible enough to fall for that sort of fake science.

:eek:
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Might be true... Probably bollocks...
    But it is hard work digesting a large amount of meat... I do know a girl who won't eat meat the day before a competition, cos"it slows her down"
    , if I have a large steak late at night I'll wake up in the middle of the night sweating...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Of course vegan erections last longer sure they don't have the energy for sex feckin erection would last till their blood anemia cuts in.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Do vegans use pest control and if they do then what methods?

Markcheese wrote: »
    Might be true... Probably bollocks...
    But it is hard work digesting a large amount of meat... I do know a girl who won't eat meat the day before a competition, cos"it slows her down"
    , if I have a large steak late at night I'll wake up in the middle of the night sweating...

My eldest is very careful in the days up to major competition. Not regarding meat specifically but the energy required to digest food is significant, proteins in particular are slow and hard to digest, thus are good before drinking as the stay there and block alcohol absorption or at least slow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,638 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Wasn't Yussein Bolt's legendary activities both on and off the track powered by chicken nuggets??:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Wasn't Yussein Bolt's legendary activities both on and off the track powered by chicken nuggets??:D:pac:

Not really meat though are they :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I watched that the weekend myself after hearing 4 of the younger lads at work talking about it and how they were going to cut down on meat because of it.. Some of there friends are going vegan.. Now these lads are all rural lads working a physical job and playing sports so not your typical vegan or climate activists which made me stand up and take notice. I can see how young lads would be convinced by it especially if they have no vested interest in farming.

Same thing with all these climate programmes on rte this week its being presented as fact that meat and dairy is bad without dispute.. They replaced dairy with almond milk tonight, meat with more fruit and veg including mangoes and peppers all imported.. Like are they right I don't know my facts well enough but surely to god there is a huge carbon footprint in growing nuts to make milk, packing and shipping all over the world.. Likewise veg they claimed was better because of all the fertilisers used to grow grass to feed to animals but I doubt all these imported veg are organic..
    I really feel the farming lobby needs to wake up and start getting the counter arguments out there.. Start by informing us farmers of the facts instead of the rubbish leaflets sent out every month by teagasc.. Where's our netflix docs, YouTube videos, that's where the battleground is not standing outside factories..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I watched that the weekend myself after hearing 4 of the younger lads at work talking about it and how they were going to cut down on meat because of it.. Some of there friends are going vegan.. Now these lads are all rural lads working a physical job and playing sports so not your typical vegan or climate activists which made me stand up and take notice. I can see how young lads would be convinced by it especially if they have no vested interest in farming.

Same thing with all these climate programmes on rte this week its being presented as fact that meat and dairy is bad without dispute.. They replaced dairy with almond milk tonight, meat with more fruit and veg including mangoes and peppers all imported.. Like are they right I don't know my facts well enough but surely to god there is a huge carbon footprint in growing nuts to make milk, packing and shipping all over the world.. Likewise veg they claimed was better because of all the fertilisers used to grow grass to feed to animals but I doubt all these imported veg are organic..
    I really feel the farming lobby needs to wake up and start getting the counter arguments out there.. Start by informing us farmers of the facts instead of the rubbish leaflets sent out every month by teagasc.. Where's our netflix docs, YouTube videos, that's where the battleground is not standing outside factories..

Is there any counter arguments, Farmers are too busy fighting among them selves now, you see what goes on here, they seem to have made a conscious effort to undermine our only lobby group as well as Bord Bia....... They're certainly not going to be any help to them. As I said, farmers are author of their own demise now, sad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭amacca

there seems to be a big issue with how ag emissions are calculated ...their accuracy/validity......does farming get any credit for sequestration, are hedgerows included, is farming here charged for maize etc grown intensively in other countries where slash and burn is used? .... if farming went more extensive here (which Im thinking of doing for ecomomic reasons) would any credit be given for that?

as an aside will the max production at any costs food harvest 2020 foodwise pricks and their ilk bear any responsibility or any costs for their either greed or shortsightedness....they hold themselves up as the "experts" yet I wouldn't trust them to run a piss up in a fully stoked unsupervised brewery with no security system........its not right the agenda they push doesn't have consequences for them imo

there also seems to be an issue with a majority of people not realising how damaging and destructive it would be to the environment if everyone switched to a plant based diet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Hit the nail on the head. After watching the programme I couldn't believe what the dietician was saying, if you look up his name his a vegan activist. I met up with friends this evening, their all from a rural background and the main topic of discussion was climate change and veganism. We need now more than ever, good PR. People who can fight our corner using facts and figures without the need of twine to hold up their pants or chewing on a stalk of straw. We're a minority in the country and the world, we're the easy target now. We have to fight for our survival and our right to farm the way we see fight inside the parameters already set by the great EU. We're the easy target, not the holiday abroad, the excessive clothes shopping or big gas guzzling jeeps that people drive around for status instead of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Hit the nail on the head. After watching the programme I couldn't believe what the dietician was saying, if you look up his name his a vegan activist. I met up with friends this evening, their all from a rural background and the main topic of discussion was climate change and veganism. We need now more than ever, good PR. People who can fight our corner using facts and figures without the need of twine to hold up their pants or chewing on a stalk of straw. We're a minority in the country and the world, we're the easy target now. We have to fight for our survival and our right to farm the way we see fight inside the parameters already set by the great EU. We're the easy target, not the holiday abroad, the excessive clothes shopping or big gas guzzling jeeps that people drive around for status instead of use.

RTE need to be taken to task for this type of tabloid TV. As far as I'm aware they are supposed to provide a balance of views in their programming. Instead we have RTE employing an UK plant food activist as a nutrition guide for these programmes which on the face of it is little different to only interviewing the DUP about politics.

They've even put up a planetary diet guide by the same eejit which is entirely plant based and which includes well known food grown here such as Yams and Chickpeas - but bizarrely not even following the reductionist promotion of eating less meat etc of the now debunked Lancett EAT planetary diet.

And the problem with these rubbish partisan programmes? We are paying for RTE to make these programmes and paying participants €2000 a pop for going along with the bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Supposedly James Cameron has $140 million invested in a pea protein company in America. Might be a little biased...

davidk1394 wrote: »

He’s a “researcher in population health” not a dietician. He’s also a prominent vegan activist so no matter what he was only ever going to give one message no matter what the question was.
    Like the old saying, “when your a hammer, everything is a nail”

While dieticians advocate eating less meat in relation to current consumption they do not recommend excluding either meat or dairy from the general populations diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

wrangler wrote: »
    Is there any counter arguments, Farmers are too busy fighting among them selves now, you see what goes on here, they seem to have made a conscious effort to undermine our only lobby group as well as Bord Bia....... They're certainly not going to be any help to them. As I said, farmers are author of their own demise now, sad again.

The problem is our lobby is burying their head in the sand. All IFA candidates saying derogation has to be protected at all costs.
    The more they dig in over points like that the more all farmers are opened up to being undermined by environmental groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Supposedly James Cameron has $140 million invested in a pea protein company in America. Might be a little biased...

Looking to coin it off the "saving the world" rhetori, same as most of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The problem is our lobby is burying their head in the sand. All IFA candidates saying derogation has to be protected at all costs.
    The more they dig in over points like that the more all farmers are opened up to being undermined by environmental groups.

It all could be indefensible, The president will have very little say, I laughed when everyone thought that Joe Healy would save the west, they have nearly no say, The president needs to be articulate and think on their feet with the media and as far as I'm concerned Joe delivered that.

Advertisement