Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thermodynamic solar panels

• 16-10-2019 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi

Thinking of getting them and using them for heating hot water and might try heating the house.

looking for some honest feedback where they worth the cost, any issues with set up etc did the do what the said they would do?.

any feedback much appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Hi

Thinking of getting them and using them for heating hot water and might try heating the house.

looking for some honest feedback where they worth the cost, any issues with set up etc did the do what the said they would do?.

any feedback much appreciated

thanks

Just do a search on here and then run a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

What is your current heating system? Do you have separate zones for heating and hot water?
    How much do you spend a year on heating?
    How much do you spend a year on electricity?

Personally, I would go with Solar PV in place of solar hot water as electricity costs 3-4 times per kWh as gas heating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Alkers wrote: »
    Personally, I would go with Solar PV in place of solar hot water as electricity costs 3-4 times per kWh as gas heating.

A lot of flawd logic in your argument.

Let's go with an example of a 4+ family that use a lot of hot water (if you don't, then do not go solar thermal). Almost 100% of your solar thermal production is self-consumed. It is also very efficient. You get many times the equivalent kWh from a solar tube as from the same square meter of solar PV. And with solar PV, you only typically self consume 10-20%, the rest goes back to the grid for free. Unless you have a battery, but these are extremely expensive

In practice, it depends very much on what subsidy system is in place. Currently with the extremely generous subsidy for solar PV with battery, such a system looks favourable

The OP is mistaken though if they think they can use solar thermal for heating their house. That won't work. When you need heating your house most, solar thermal production is typically near zero

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Nanotechnology..

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

unkel wrote: »
    And with solar PV, you only typically self consume 10-20%, the rest goes back to the grid for free. Unless you have a battery, but these are extremely expensive

Unkel, agreed in the main but self-consumption rate will also be much higher if you have an electrical heating system; an EV will also help. I've both (an A2W and an EV) and was at 67% self-consumption (and 24% self-sufficiency) last year.

Not that I'm against export, by no means.

Aligning PV with an electrical heating system and EV seems to me the way to reduce the footprint. Although heat pumps are really expensive and the energy-mix in grid power is for now still a massive issue for both A2W and EV.

• Advertisement

Coltrane wrote: »
    Unkel, agreed in the main but self-consumption rate will also be much higher if you have an electrical heating system; an EV will also help. I've both (an A2W and an EV) and was at 67% self-consumption (and 24% self-sufficiency) last year.

Not that I'm against export, by no means.

Aligning PV with an electrical heating system and EV seems to me the way to reduce the footprint. Although heat pumps are really expensive and the energy-mix in grid power is for now still a massive issue for both A2W and EV.

PV is 5kWp east west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Disagree regarding the energy mix comment, the Irish grid is pretty good already and C02 intensity is reducing every year.
    EVs and heat pumps offer great benefits to human health from improved air quality where people live.

air wrote: »
    Disagree regarding the energy mix comment, the Irish grid is pretty good already and C02 intensity is reducing every year.
    EVs and heat pumps offer great benefits to human health from improved air quality where people live.

Agreed that things are improving (N.B. Moneypoint) but last time I checked in on it renewables accounted for only 20% of primary-fuel inputs in Ireland. A greater % of outputs with their better efficiency but that doesn't help what goes into the mix.

I can help this locally with my PV.

And I agree with your point about location, especially when it comes to diesel cars in our cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

unkel wrote: »
    A lot of flawd logic in your argument.

Well it wasn't really an argument, my recommendation would depend on the OP's responses to the few questions I posted before I stated my own personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

What is your current heating system? oil, stove back boiler
    Do you have separate zones for heating and hot water? no
    How much do you spend a year on heating? oil e1500
    How much do you spend a year on electricity? about e1500-1700

• Advertisement
Advertisement