Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coolaney National MTB Centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Spotted that on Facebook alright. Hopefully they've no delays now in getting the trails sorted and opened up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Top Dog wrote: »
    Spotted that on Facebook alright. Hopefully they've no delays now in getting the trails sorted and opened up

Work has started already, and are coming along nicely, from what I'm told. Be a while before there's something to ride, but progress is progress!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Should be great for locals to get out for an oul leisurely pedal around the local forest on a Sunny Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭El Vino

Sorry if this is a dumb question but why is the word "National" in the title? Normally when you have this it means it is some sort of centre of excellence or similar as in National Aquatic Centre?

El Vino wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but why is the word "National" in the title? Normally when you have this it means it is some sort of centre of excellence or similar as in National Aquatic Centre?

Coillte had envisioned to have a few national centers throughout the country

2.5.1 National scale centres

These are the highest profile trail developments aimed at the largest possible market and are intended to be at the peak of tourism activity for off-road cycling in Ireland.

They will be the primary driver for attracting overseas visitors to come to Ireland for mountain biking. They must exceed the offering available in the UK to attract visitors to come here, be of the highest value and quality and be maintained to the highest standards.

They must appeal to both domestic and overseas visitors and be standalone, short-break destinations in their own right. They ideally will have a high level of visitor facilities, with car-parking, toilet and shower blocks and with potential to add-on café and bike hire or retail facilities.

A of national scale trail centre should consist of at least 80kms of waymarked trails with at least 4 independent waymarked loops. Our experience has shown that to provide this, sites must be in excess of 1500ha in size to ensure that trail development is not over intensified and impacting adversely on timber management, conservation or other objectives.

A national scale trail centre should consist of not less than 50% purpose-built singletrack trails providing a wide level of trail challenge ranging from class 2 to class 6 trails. The area should generally be of very varied topography with good ground and soil conditions capable of delivering cost effective trail construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭prunudo

rizzodun wrote: »

Sounds like a good objective, wonder are there any plans for the east coast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

jvan wrote: »
    Sounds like a good objective, wonder are there any plans for the east coast?
    Would that not be filled by Djouce, Ticknock & Ballinastoe?

Top Dog wrote: »
    Would that not be filled by Djouce, Ticknock & Ballinastoe?

They'd be a good starting point but nowhere near 80km of trails or a match for the likes of what they have in the U.K.
    There's nothing offical in Djouce and Ballinastoe and Ticknock only have 14 and 8km respectively.

The Slieve Blooms will about 1hr 20 mins away, close to the M7 too, offering the same scope of trails.

Rostrevor is about the same distance.

Not sure if there's plans for anything closer to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭El Vino

Not close to Dublin but on the East of the country - I always think the woods south of the Suir river near Kilsheelan) between Clonmel and Carrick would be a great location for a trail center

• Advertisement

I'd say they are failing miserably on that one..

Coillte make paper products... that's about all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

El Vino wrote: »
    Not close to Dublin but on the East of the country - I always think the woods south of the Suir river near Kilsheelan) between Clonmel and Carrick would be a great location for a trail center

As would the windfarm on Croghan Mountain which is just west of Arklow. A good 300m to 400m vertical drop in various directions, infrastructure all in place for a great up lift service. I heard there were some vague plans to build something there, not sure if anything is moving on it.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'd say they are failing miserably on that one..

Coillte make paper products... that's about all..

Well, two under construction and work done in Ticknock and Ballyhoura, with Rebel MTB getting land to build in Cork, and I believe Galway MTB are getting a dedicated place to build also.

Sure Coillte aren't the easiest to deal with and mountain biking isn't their main focus but its better than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Any idea who the trail designer is for this one?

Budawanny wrote: »
    Any idea who the trail designer is for this one?

Thankfully not the same Coillte official who did Ticknock, Geordi LaForge!

Niall Davis the boss of Biking.ie did the design I believe...

Niall Davis is doing the Slieve Blooms. Not sure the trail designer for Coolaney.

Niall Davis is doing the Slieve Blooms. Not sure the trail designer for Coolaney.

I know that Northwest MTB club have a lot of involvement in that, i'm just hoping LaForge has nothing to do with it..

Cheers lads. I dont think Geordi will allowed design anything again.. Nialls pretty handy at trail design now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Curious as to what the issue with the Ticknock trails is? Not the biggest fan of the official trails myself but thought most people were happy with them...

there grand now really for what they are meant for, but they are an aweful long way removed from what they were originally.

• Advertisement

Budawanny wrote: »
    there grand now really for what they are meant for, but they are an aweful long way removed from what they were originally.

Having only been to Ticknock recently for the first time what were the trails like before?
    Like all trail centres I think if you mix up the offical trails and enduro trails then there's more than enough to keep you happy.

steamsey wrote: »
    Curious as to what the issue with the Ticknock trails is? Not the biggest fan of the official trails myself but thought most people were happy with them...

The original Ticknock trails were designed by a non-MTB'er coillte recreation manager.

The newer designed lower trails are grand, bit more flow, they still need more signage to stop casual walkers from strolling along them in the summer.

However, just look at what they've done at the GAP bike park, much better design, more flow and variation of trails for all abilities. All in a small hillside.

The Ticknock trails are better than nothing I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

For Coolaney the trail designer for phase 1 is Hugh Clixby from clixby trail designs.

Phase 2 that 500k has just been announced for will go to tender once the funding has been awarded.

booooonzo wrote: »
    For Coolaney the trail designer for phase 1 is Hugh Clixby from clixby trail designs.

Phase 2 that 500k has just been announced for will go to tender once the funding has been awarded.

Looks like they do good work so: https://www.clixbys.co.uk/projects/2018/6/6/grizedale-mtb-trail-section

470385.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BRENT EAGLE

Anyone seen the latest photos on FB? Not looking very promising here...
    As these are only small sections of 76km network, I won't be writing the whole place off; but truly if its more of this tarmac looking walking trails then I think i'll stick to the east coast, Rostrevor, GAP etc. Clixby look like they build walking and service trails.

https://www.facebook.com/1541297972788179/posts/2219195711665065/

Look a bit tame alright, only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

Its a pity. Good to get people out and build an interest but doesn't look to cater for the people looking for more challenging stuff. Time will tell I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Their website has a map at the bottom that references black trails - I hope they are actually what people would consider black and not just blue with a few rocks thrown in:

http://coolaneymtb.com/

Reserving full judgement 'til it's open but the photos on FB really look disappointing. They talk about the tourist money this will bring in (and I hope it does) but I can't see experienced (foreign) riders coming here to ride on those trails. Are we trying to dumb this sport down or develop it?

The beginner stuff is needed of course but where is the non beginner stuff?

• Advertisement

It's very good to get mountain bikers feedback lads, the trail builders are tagged in the facebook post.

Maybe head over there and give your constructive feedback.

The trails are not finished yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭covey123

Too early to say yet what the finished trails will be like,will just have to wait and see,but I'm guessing if its going to be opened on a rolling basis,it would make sense to open the easier trails first to make the place more assessable to the masses rather than Black trails first which would limit the initial amount of visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

Reading through the fb comments doesn't give much hope

Going by those 3 FB pics, looks like first one (with bike) could be a climb to trail head/access trail, personally would prefer that to a technical climb!then as mentioned in the post, probably Red one with rocks,Blue with roller/berm

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

covey123 wrote: »
    Going by those 3 FB pics, looks like first one (with bike) could be a climb to trail head/access trail, personally would prefer that to a technical climb!then as mentioned in the post, probably Red one with rocks,Blue with roller/berm

The one with rocks isn't a red!!! It's hardly a blue - maybe a green. Even for a climbing trail, it would be sh*t. It might attract non-biking tourists but won't attract mtb tourism.

Edited to say that sounds very negative above but it's just frustrating to see that amount of money being wasted when the facilities for mountain biking in Wales/UK/Europe are so far superior to ours....and we finally have an opportunity to build something really great over here.

Maybe Coillte think we all have touring mountain bikes with panniers and baskets and leisurely cycle around their forests.
    As somebody else said though, hopefully its just a matter of them building the blue and easier trails first to get people around the mountain. Then the harder trails will be built off these.
    It will be interesting to see what they have planned for Ballinastoe and Ticknock too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    The one with rocks isn't a red!!! It's hardly a blue - maybe a green. Even for a climbing trail, it would be sh*t. It might attract non-biking tourists but won't attract mtb tourism.

Edited to say that sounds very negative above but it's just frustrating to see that amount of money being wasted when the facilities for mountain biking in Wales/UK/Europe are so far superior to ours....and we finally have an opportunity to build something really great over here.

Looks very much like a blue-trail as it's less rock garden and more paving slabs; I've got a blue-trail nearby that's more 'gnarly' than that with its rock features but they're roll-able slabs rather than rock-gardens. I've seen rougher road surfaces in Dublin. The manicured surfacing on the rest of the trail around the 'rocks' makes me suspect it's a blue-trail anyway as it all looks quite sedate. But you're right; it is frustrating to see what appears to be getting presented for the apparent outlay in time & money. It's hard to tell from a couple of separate photos so here's hoping it's just everyone getting the wrong end of the stick.

QueenMTBee wrote: »

Know what you are saying, would be great to have something like BPI but on a larger scale!
    Looking at the maps it looks like a lot of the trails start at a single elevated point so fingers crossed!

Had a look on Clixbys website,looks like they have done work here,not clear if repairs or all this trail...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WTDV2PXNhGk

covey123 wrote: »
    Had a look on Clixbys website,looks like they have done work here,not clear if repairs or all this trail...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WTDV2PXNhGk

I like the little options they give you for different lines on the same trail.

Oh dear, some narrow fire road gravel paths isn't going to attract anyone from outside the area to these trails..

I will go have a look once, but no reason at all based on what i've seen to go back to these trails after seeing them...

Is this what Coillte and the designers of these trails think MTB'ing is?

The perfect bike for this would be a Cyclocross bike from what I can see...

What a disappointment for the local community to have this White Elephant built with so many promises of increased tourism...

• Advertisement

I see biking.ie posting on Facebook they're down in Collaney marking possibilities for sorting the trails out. I've heard and read stuff but what actually has gone wrong down there? Bad planning, trail builders not up to the job or just a difference between what was envisaged and what is actually possible with the terrain they have to work with?

https://www.facebook.com/139066222779824/posts/2512435425442880/

jvan wrote: »
    I see biking.ie posting on Facebook they're down in Collaney marking possibilities for sorting the trails out. I've heard and read stuff but what actually has gone wrong down there? Bad planning, trail builders not up to the job or just a difference between what was envisaged and what is actually possible with the terrain they have to work with?

Biking.ie will save the day!

Wonder when it will open now, I heard November?

prunudo wrote: »

The local Mountain bikers were not listened too.
    Builders so far have not been up to the job.
    The project management (Sligo county council) not up to the job.
    The list goes on..

Just came across this..

https://youtu.be/XOHXD1Nf8xI

Couple of videos starting to pop up on YouTube

Don't look much different than whats in Ballinastoe to be fair. Hard to get perspective from the video of course. Considering that was shot back in March, given the rumours I'd heard I was expecting a lot worse. As they say, I'll try myself before I pass judgement.
    On a side note how are the Sleive bloom trails progressing?

Don't look much different than whats in Ballinastoe to be fair. Hard to get perspective from the video of course. Considering that was shot back in March, given the rumours I'd heard I was expecting a lot worse. As they say, I'll try myself before I pass judgement.
    On a side note how are the Sleive bloom trails progressing?

You really need to take a trip down in that case.....

You really need to take a trip down in that case.....

I don't follow, are you saying thats it worse than it looks?

I don't follow, are you saying thats it worse than it looks?

More or less, the video doesn't show in detail the situation on the ground. Hopefully it'll be rectified, but what's there isn't confidence inspiring.

Saw this posted on Facebook last night

"Whatever you've heard about the Coolaney Mountain Bike Trail to date, forget it. We've been hard at work over the past month and are honestly now stoked to be involved and excited about the future!!

When this place opens it's going to be pretty special, where on earth would you get such a raw view of the Atlantic Ocean with a ribbon trail flowing down the open mountain. Its going to be incredible!!

Trail quality is looking great now, no flat sections, no straights, no loose gravel. Camera phone doesn't do the lads work justice, fair play to them. Blue trail pictured below.

We are working closely with all stakeholders, including the local mountain bike riders, to make sure we can get the best possible outcome from this first phase of construction.

Watch this space.

#bikinginireland"

https://www.facebook.com/139066222779824/posts/2562544043765351/

• Advertisement
Advertisement