Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Ireland

Options
  • 14-08-2017 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Rant alert: Advice for anyone moving back to Ireland.

I moved back to Ireland from London after about 15 years. Do I regret it...YES. I hate it here. I am in a small town in the South. Conversations involve bitching and slagging about other people. All opinions are the same and if you deviate from the common thinking you are continually berated and harassed until you tow the line (which I don't do, making me unpopular). Passive aggressive is the norm if you don't tow the line. No matter what the subject is everyone is an expert, no matter how ridiculous their view they will not change their view unless someone they see as higher in the social scale (I appear to be very low on this scale) tells them what to think. I don't think I have heard the phrase "Actually I don't know" once since I came back. If they don't know they make it up or spout some **** they heard verbatim, If it was said in the pub it must be right.

I loved London and had a fantastic job. I only moved back here for my kids. I didn't want them educated in the UK as it is a lottery as to the pupils and teachers. In Ireland the education is more stable and you can control the whole process a lot better.

I have incredible experience in 2 fields. I was offered a number of jobs from just meeting people (I declined as I was happy where I was). I could easily get a job in London as my experiences what people look at.

Employment: My 2 fields of experience and my qualifications are no good here, despite being recognised globally. I have been told a number of times I am technically over-qualified but they have to have a certain qualification. Each role has a set set of requirements that, from feedback, are non-negational. My first job in the UK was with substance misuse. I am fully trained with recognised qualifications (course paid for by employer). The law states you can take up roles, unqualified, as long as you begin training for the role after starting. I was told that although I am over-qualified for similar roles my qualification is not recognised for the roles. Only the ftec is permitted. IT'S THE SAME THING.

In my other role I am very experienced. This is the role I was headhunted for in the UK. My experience and qualifications are more than enough for the roles I am applying for but they want random qualifications for roles I would walk into in the UK. I was offered one job only to have to chase them down after. "It's on hold at the moment. We'll contact you when we sort it out". I then saw the role advertised on a job site. Another crowd called me up (I sent my CV in for their file) a day after they received my CV. Had a great chat, asked me all about what I was doing. I then asked what the role they had was. "Ah no. We don't have anything at the moment. We just liked your CV so wanted to have a chat, you had some time in the UK I'd say" JESUS. My buddy left the job in the UK and walked into a directors position. Same experience and qualifications. And they expect you to have the training done before you start. The amount of jobs that are the same that require different courses is unbelievable. YOU WANT IT, YOU TRAIN ME. I am happy to do the training. I did 16-24 hour shifts, I did a load of online courses on my own time, unpaid work. I am happy to put in the effort but I'm not doing 200 courses on the off chance 1 might get me a job.

Trades: Idiots. I can't get 1 trade that will agree to do what I want. Them- "Ah no, I wouldn't do that now". Me - "I want it done this way". Them - "Ah now that'll cost you a lot more then". Me - It's the same amount of work and I'll get the materials" Them - "Ah well you know that's just the way it is". I learnt how to do lime plastering. I decided to get a plasterer in to do the final layer on the ceiling as it was low and I wanted it straight. I mixed the lime he plastered. I finished the last batch and came up and he was watering it down to make it easier to put on. I told him that it'll crack as it's too wet. "Na, it'll be grand". Went up the next day and it was ****, bits missed and bits of plaster fallen off as it was too wet. Had to go over it myself the next day (only paid him half, he's not happy). The walls I did are perfect. His layer cracked, cracked my first layer and the layer I put over his to cover his **** job. The sparky I got in wouldn't bury the cables for a rewire and would only agree to rewire with trunking outside the plaster. (They were brothers). The two of them lost at least £20000 of work as the whole house needs to be taken back to brick and replastered in lime and rewired. The plumber was a great worker, put in a new stove in a few hours, did it for next to nothing but left the house in a mess and broke bricks in the fireplace.

And everything has some rule or regulation attached. I have to have a licence for pissing in this country. And depending on the weather, the direction of the wind and your star sign you can ignore them. I was going to start up a business but I had to do so much work it didn't seem worth it. I had to do 3 things. 1,2,3. 3 had to be done first, but you had to have 1 done 2 weeks after or you have to start again and 2 takes 3 months to get approved. How do you get anything done. And I was advised by a number of people that to start up that type of business you have to know people and bung some money around to get anywhere. I gave up.

I could go on.

I don't want to discourage people too much. But don't let nostalgia drag you back. I would make the same decision again for my kids. But I'll die alone and angry in this wet, miserable country surrounded by the sound of squawking. Unless you hate where you are and loved life in Ireland I'd think twice. I know a lot of people regret moving back. Others love it. I said it to my dad and he said the same, he was out of place when he moved back 50 years ago. Think long and hard. If you are happy where you are stay, it might seem like a good idea but if you have something that is working keep it. Ireland has changed, the people are begrudging, petty and painful to listen to. Everything is a putdown. No "good job" for a job well done, just a put down if you make the slightest mistake. No direct challenge or feedback, just passive aggressive nonsense.

I know a lot of people will attack me for this. And I know that their are 1000's of amazing people, trades etc out there but I haven't seen it. I just don't want anyone having my experience when they could have a long and happy life wherever they are now.

I know the above doesn't read well, but it is a rant and I'm not going to correct it as the lack of coherence is about right for how I'm settling into the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Where's the advice?

This is just a rant from one person's experience, which is perfectly fine in itself but where is the advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bretty

The last few paragraphs......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Welcome to the Banana Republic Of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

You moved from a metropolis to a small town, so of course you can expect the whole "small town community" vibe.

Same with small towns in the UK, etc. I got that in Victoria, Canada, hence I prefer living in larger cities where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Sounds like you're angry about your decision/mistake to move to a small town, and then ranting about Ireland as a whole instead of realising that you got what you signed up for.

Move to a city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hey Bretty,

Welcome home - sincerely.

Its a shame that you've had a run of bad experiences since arriving back. However, my own belief is that these kind of things can happen anywhere you go. I know people living in the UK who cannot believe the amount of bureaucracy and lack of initiative experienced when dealing with 'the man'.

As to your problem with trades, most people don't like to be told how to do their job, so perhaps a little bit of ego massage might be worth trying next time.

Employers. Ah, employers. Well some of them are real sh!tes. But your own case sounds more like a recruitment agency guy just collecting CV's. Well known phenomenon.

most people I know, who returned from abroad, did so because they wanted to raise and educate their children here. Just like you. Well, you're taking care of that, so perhaps (and I know this is easy for me to say) try not to let the other stuff get in on you too much. Readjustment takes time, and as you're going to find out eventually, its YOU who'll be doing the readjusting:D .

Hang on in there, it'll come right in the end.

With my best wishes...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

sounds like you have an attitude problem.

Many of my issues are not just the small town. All my employment issues are in a big city. Being offered jobs that doesn't exist yet. Being called 30 miles for an 'interview' when they just wanted to hear my war stories. Qualifications that only exist in Ireland so that I am qualified and experienced but it means nothing because It is not the FTEC.

And I disagree a bit about the small towns. In the UK I spent time in smaller towns and they are not even a fraction in your business as they are here. There is no live and let live attitude here or anywhere in Ireland that I lived.

Don't get me wrong. Great things here. When the sun shines you see a smile on my face. The internet is faster.

I understand that I have a different out look to some, it's the spice of life. Different strokes and all that.

My post is not a dig at Ireland. I know that it is my personality that is at odds with Ireland and that lots of people love it here. But I know a few people that are thinking about returning. I'd hate to think that someone who was having a bad few months out of an amazing few years returned and felt the same as me and regretted it for the rest of their lives.

It is just some advice to give the decision a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why not move to a city like Dublin? You can't compare life in a rural Irish village to life in a cosmopolitan European (for now) capital city.

Not employment agencies, I went to the company HQ's and met the managers.

And no, I don't have an attitude problem.

It's not all bad. Just had a great life in the UK and it's not as good here. And a lot of things that are just ridiculous here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Bretty wrote: »
    And a lot of things that are just ridiculous here.

A lot of things are ridiculous in a lot of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Could you move back to London after the Kids have grown up and flown the nest?

That is a long way off. They are still very young.

Look, it's not a personal dig at any of you. It is a conflict of me v Ireland. I did say that not all are the same.

The point of my post was that if anyone is thinking of returning because of any nostalgic memories or they are going through a rough patch where they are they should think twice.

I have always had a conflict with the Irish attitude. I knew that when I came back. I have a lot of these traits myself.

And the UK was not perfect. I had my fair share of conflict there too. I am not one to suffer fools and I pay for that at times.

Take this post for what it is. A touch of advice and a rant. It was not meant to offend although I can see that it may be deeply offensive to some. However I am able to look at myself and see that some of the issues are mine. I could acquiesce but I fundamentally disagree with bitching about people and agreeing with nonsense for the sake of it.

Again, I don't mean to offend and I apologise if you are. However I know the truth that is in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

It was just a thought
    BTW I'm a "blow in".Originally from the UK
    Hope it all works out for you
    Regards...

I appreciate the thought.

My MIL claims she is still considered a blown where we live and she moved to the town 50 years ago.

It'll work out, it always does. Just a clash of me v Ireland and I assume that a land mass will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

has your view changed in the last near year?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

I'm moving back to Ireland next month after almost five years in the UK. At first I was excited about it, now I feel like I'm dreading it and have no idea why!! I have a job lined up, but I feel I won't fit in back in Cork. I could be just overthinking everything, but it's hard not to.

Advertisement