Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the East Midlands

Options
  • 08-05-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I'm currently living and working in the West Midlands just North of Birmingham and have been offered a new job which is based in the East Midlands so I will be looking to move in the not too distant future.

The new job will be based near East Midlands Airport but as I have a car I would like to move somewhere that has a social life and possible play a bit of GAA.

For anyone that has local knowledge would I be better off looking at Derby or Nottingham (both have a commute time of 20 mins) ? Any details on decent areas would be much appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Nottingham has a few edgy suburbs like St Anns with a criminal element apart from that it's mostly fine, Derby has decent pubs and a brewing tradition, the two cities are only about 15 miles apart with regular buses so you have the best of both worlds.

You've got to learn 'A'right mi duck!' as a greeting as well btw :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

it "eh up me duck" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Thanks for the reply lads.

Ya, I've already heard the "eh up me duck" expression whilst I was here. Possibly looking at Long Eaton ish area from what I have heard it is decent enough. Either than of possibly looking at Loughborough all I know is that there is a decent Uni there.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I'd be choosing either Leicester or Nottingham and would give Derby a wide berth.. Leicester has a GAA team Naomh Padraig. Loughborough has nothing going on at all in terms of nightlife unless you're a student. No gigs or culture to be found! Nottingham's a big city so there's always more going on there, though not sure if they've a GAA team. There's a good train service between Nott and Leicester too.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

possibly looking at Loughborough all I know is that there is a decent Uni there.

There is a Uni there - Not sure about decent though.... Cambridge or Oxford have nothing to worry about....

As in " Three " C" s and a "D" ? - You won't even get into Loughborough with results like that ! " :)

• Advertisement

Decided to settle for West Bridgford near enough the center of Nottingham whilst being on the right side of the city to get to work. Already been in touch with the GAA club there :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GK125

Thinking about moving over to Nottingham anyone any advice on what the job scene is like or could anyone help me out and many Irish people in Nottingham??

• Registered Users Posts: 41 funkypumpkins

GK125 wrote: »
    Thinking about moving over to Nottingham anyone any advice on what the job scene is like or could anyone help me out and many Irish people in Nottingham??
    Nottingham is big enough so jobs would be easier to come across. I live in Derby and would avoid. Nottingham is easier to live in and a lot more going for it. There is GAA and Irish expat stuff in Nottingham anyway

Nottingham is big enough so jobs would be easier to come across. I live in Derby and would avoid. Nottingham is easier to live in and a lot more going for it. There is GAA and Irish expat stuff in Nottingham anyway

Wow, hard to believe its 5 years since I started this. I moved to Nottingham as at the time as I knew another Irish lad through the multinational I worked for at the time that was looking for a housemate.

Roll on 5 years and I am still here although just to the south side of Nottingham. Nottingham was recommended to me by a lot of people in worked with over Derby and Leicester.

Job wise far better than Ireland in my experience with regards pay, perks and hours. Irish companies have a gulf to cross to be anywhere competitive as I've had a few internal recruiters contact me directly via LinkedIn.

What industry is the OP looking at working in. Brexit is having some impact on some businesses as they scale back on investment and recruitment to see what happens.

Advertisement