Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sheep Photo Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Sorry :o

Hanging around Cavan for the week, so was being nosey to see where you were ;)

working there is bad enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Hope you are bringing all your own sandwiches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

razor8 wrote: »
    working there is bad enough!
    Hope you are bringing all your own sandwiches!

Now now lads :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

Sorry :o

Hanging around Cavan for the week, so was being nosey to see where you were ;)

hitting up there for a function in the next week or so ,

Radission Blu hotel, havent a clue of it's location

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

excuse me........... Leitrim born and bred!

On my way up there for the weekend, besides bringing an umbrella:D is there anything on in Leitrim worth going to Sunday anywhere or decent hikes???

• Advertisement

jomoloney wrote: »
    hitting up there for a function in the next week or so ,

Radission Blu hotel, havent a clue of it's location

possibly Drumshanbo id say

Carrigallen mart? On Saturday.
    Also check out the "Cornmill" theatre and see if anything is on. Great little theatre, and you have Charlie Farrelly's folk club/pub across the street for afters. Should you be that end of the county.

Cran wrote: »
    On my way up there for the weekend, besides bringing an umbrella:D is there anything on in Leitrim worth going to Sunday anywhere or decent hikes???

I get it hard to walk to car so i wouldnt really know, there is walking trail in Blacklion. Its a global Geopark i believe

link below
    http://www.cavan.ie/marblearchcavesglobalgeopark/file/%2061683%C2%AD5%20FI%20Geopark%20Map%20DL%20Flyer%20Proof%20N5_1.pdf

bring a pair of waders too, you wouldnt be used to soft ground!

Check Marble Arch caves are open, usually close winter and open St. Paddy's day. You don't want to be underground down there when rain forecast.!

never thought of that, he would be fairly cursing me if he landed up there and no show!

• Advertisement

If he was that far, tip on to Enniskillen Castle and check out the Museum, although most things closed Sundays in Northern Ireland. Or bring the trailer and a cube, get 1000 litres Kero for 600 euro. :)

thought would bump this up a bit. Some Charollais x Mule ewe lambs think they were 4 months old when taken off to the mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

thought would bump this up a bit. Some Charollais x Mule ewe lambs think they were 4 months old when taken off to the mart

nice lambs, look the part anyway

These are due to lamb in a fortnight
    2013-12-03 09.07.29.jpg

2013-12-03 09.07.57.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

rancher wrote: »

Prolapse problem?

Prolapse problem?

No problem with those harnesses though, worth their weight in gold

nice lambs, look the part anyway

These are due to lamb in a fortnight
    2013-12-03 09.07.29.jpg

2013-12-03 09.07.57.jpg

some carrying 4 ?

think one of the rams i bought off you was a quad,

jomoloney wrote: »
    some carrying 4 ?

think one of the rams i bought off you was a quad,

Yes they are prolific, Trying to lamb in December you need a certain amount of PMS to help conception, we only give the minimum and still seem to have triplets and quads, nine there in 40
    Was wondering how you knew the quads as I couldn't see them, the numbers written on their backs is just identifying for mating, the number of lambs is the green dots

Yes they are prolific, Trying to lamb in December you need a certain amount of PMS to help conception, we only give the minimum and still seem to have triplets and quads, nine there in 40
    Was wondering how you knew the quads as I couldn't see them, the numbers written on their backs is just identifying for mating, the number of lambs is the green dots

my mistake,

saw a lady with a 'orange 4' , who appears to be quite heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

No problem with those harnesses though, worth their weight in gold

The harness should work well. We make something similar with rope.
    However I still would prefer not to have them prolapse and as a general rule I would probably cull her unless she is a very good ewe.
    We have a good texel ewe that prolapsed last year with her first lamb but we chanced her again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I will see your 9 in 40 and raise you 11 in 21 on triplets Rancher. How will you manage the triplets after lambing by the way I have been told to get a ewe2 feeder do you know anything about them?

• Advertisement

grassroot1 wrote: »
    I will see your 9 in 40 and raise you 11 in 21 on triplets Rancher. How will you manage the triplets after lambing by the way I have been told to get a ewe2 feeder do you know anything about them?

I have a sturdy feeder super yoke raised 30 pets on it last year, never been successful with pets before

grassroot1 wrote: »

We just use the bucket with the teats at the bottom and cold milk ad lib, I'd say the ewe 2 would be good at the start with the warm milk, but we never saw any real need for the milk to be warm after 2or 3 days.
    We cross foster a lot of lambs in the main flock but none in the purebreds
    These are the guys that were left inside all their life for a trial, cost €63 to rear and made €99 in august
    102_0210.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I have a sturdy feeder super yoke raised 30 pets on it last year, never been successful with pets before

This yoke?
    http://www.sturdyproducts.com/products/farm-and-equestrian/farm/sturdy-animal-surrogate-feeder

where did you get the harness for the prolapse rancher? normally stitch here and then down the road at end of year

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wooly Admirer

We just use the bucket with the teats at the bottom and cold milk ad lib, I'd say the ewe 2 would be good at the start with the warm milk, but we never saw any real need for the milk to be warm after 2or 3 days.
    We cross foster a lot of lambs in the main flock but none in the purebreds
    These are the guys that were left inside all their life for a trial, cost €63 to rear and made €99 in august
    102_0210.JPG

Hey Rancher - do you mind me asking where you got those meal feeders from and a rough cost? They look a good job.

where did you get the harness for the prolapse rancher? normally stitch here and then down the road at end of year

We get them in the local veterinary place, vetfarm Mullingar or midland vet Tullamore or get them online on Fane Valley. The ritchey ones are by far the best.
    Used to use retainers here and it irritated the ewe if it was in a while and she'd get an infection. The harness seems to stop them forcing as well.
    In a bad one I'd put a retainer in as well and take it out after 24 hrs,
    Ewes are able to lamb through them but I've had a lamb hung by the legs by one but he got over it.

W.A. those feeders are here 20 years, so wouldn't have a clue where I got them but here's a website,
    http://www.wydaleproducts.co.uk/products/prod/9/SmallPelletFeeder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Todays plan went to sh1t after having to tag along on a wile goose chase and wasting the morning. So, instead I gathered up my massive flock and dosed, bolused, and branded everything.

Replacements are just that, decided I'll keep them at home for the Winter and let them off to the hill with the ewes and lambs next Spring.

The rest are all hopefully knocked up and will churn out millions of lambs for me next year. First time using raddle, could have attended to it a bit better to be honest. Think maybe just use two colours next year.

A lot of improving to be done, but STAP has been a great help with motivating me to get on with that job.

We get them in the local veterinary place, vetfarm Mullingar or midland vet Tullamore or get them online on Fane Valley. The ritchey ones are by far the best.
    Used to use retainers here and it irritated the ewe if it was in a while and she'd get an infection. The harness seems to stop them forcing as well.
    In a bad one I'd put a retainer in as well and take it out after 24 hrs,
    Ewes are able to lamb through them but I've had a lamb hung by the legs by one but he got over it.

W.A. those feeders are here 20 years, so wouldn't have a clue where I got them but here's a website,
    http://www.wydaleproducts.co.uk/products/prod/9/SmallPelletFeeder[/QUOTE]

mullinahone co op would have the harness as well , or any stores that deal with them could source it for you

we prefer the rope as you make it to exactly fit the ewe ( I know the harness is adjustable ok )

also depending on the severity of the prolapse or forcing you tighten or loosen to suit

the twines off the large square bales are ideal, just when opening cut at the knots , so to avoid maybe having knots hurting the sheep under her flank etc ...

as stated they will lamb unaided (most of the time any how :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Belt up, ewe!

Advertisement