Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shear grab

• 18-11-2019 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey folks

On the lookout for new shear grab
    Have new silage pit with wide pitface so the tine grab is no more good

Loader is on 7840 tractor
    Pit is very short distance to the shed
    Would 4ft 6in be the max

Just wondering what are the best brands out there and ones to avoid

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

ozil10 wrote: »
    Hey folks

On the lookout for new shear grab
    Have new silage pit with wide pitface so the tine grab is no more good

Loader is on 7840 tractor
    Pit is very short distance to the shed
    Would 4ft 6in be the max

Just wondering what are the best brands out there and ones to avoid

Thanks

I'd look at a five foot grab at least, ya won't get as much into the shear grab as the tine, bought a redrock last month, it's 5'8 on a telehandler and it's plenty big, prodig, quike and redrock is what we looked at, nothing between any of them in my opinion but others might disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ozil10

Would the 5ft be putting too much pressure on the tractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

I thnk it depends on oil flow really, I'd think the tractor itself would handle it no problem, but if it's slow to close with the tine grab it'll be twice as slow with the shear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

You are better off with a 5' grab filling it 80% than a 4'6" filled completely.

For 2 reasons

In order to completely fill a grab you have to drive into the pit quite hard. And when emptying it there tends to be silage stuck at the cranked part of the tines.

Secondly you'll move across the pit faster with a 5'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

With the pit beside the cows feeding area,I'd go for the 4'6
    The difference in feeding time will be marginal but you are putting a lot less pressure on the tractor and oil flow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Would have thought the weight of the full grab was the issue more than the oil flow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I'd be thinking 5ft would be the max for a tractor loader. Have an old jcb 412 here with a 6'6 grab and if you took a grab from the top of the pit and dropped it too fast or jerky the rear would be bouncing

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ozil10

Would a weight on the back of the tractor be a help also
    Cheers for the replies
    Any brands you would recommend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Would have thought the weight of the full grab was the issue more than the oil flow?

I covered that in the catch all 'less pressure on the tractor ' :D
    Yes a weight is essential

Advertisement