Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep giving old Hepavac P

Options
  • 16-11-2019 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hey my father who is getting forgetful gave about 15 lambs old Hepavac which has been opened about 4 months. Will it kill the lambs? It was in the fridge and the top of it was taped. The new bottle was right beside it, it's my fault removing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Hey my father who is getting forgetful gave about 15 lambs old Hepavac which has been opened about 4 months. Will it kill the lambs? It was in the fridge and the top of it was taped. The new bottle was right beside it, it's my fault removing it.
    I don't think you have anything to worry about other than the opened bottle of vaccine is most likely useless so the lambs will not have any protection.
    You would be better off vaccinating them again from the new bottle. The data sheet: https://www.agridirect.ie/product/heptavac-p-plus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Certainly won't kill them anyway. As said, it may be less effective, but it's hard to say. Maybe it was fine if stored in the fridge with the top sealed. I'd be inclined to wait a while before doing them again with fresh stuff, in case of overdosing....

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

I would be more concerned if they were not done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In general vaccines are harmless. I have seen lads try to save vaccines like that. It really only works if you use a clean needle to draw vaccine doses all the time and even them I imagine that the vaccine only holds for 7-10 days. Wax of a candle is better than sellotape. In general vaccines doses are small in size 1-2cc. At worst the vaccine will cause an abscess IMO. I redo them and not worry about it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

My understanding is that vaccines vials are vacuum sealed, and it's the outside air entering the vial using the draw off needle that affects the life of the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

My understanding is that vaccines vials are vacuum sealed, and it's the outside air entering the vial using the draw off needle that affects the life of the vaccine.

Yes but containments also effect them. If you keep drawing using a needle that is being used to inject animals pieces of meat, blood skin and hair enter the bottle and contaminate the vaccine. It was a vet that recommended that a clean needle be used to draw the dose if you are not using all at once.

This will be useless with two part vaccine such as those for IBR

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Thanks for the helpful information everyone. Yeah I'll leave them a couple of weeks and I'll do them myself. Glad they won't come to any harm.

Advertisement