Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow scratching brush

Options
  • 15-11-2019 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    We are looking at getting a motorised cow scratching brush,
    The dalaval one is €1500 plus vat and there's another one
    called Kurtsan,€1000 plus vat.
    I know there's €500 in the difference, but is the Delaval worth the extra money
    or is the Kurtsan one just as good.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Have the standard non brushes here, even they are a good job.
    Great reports about the delaval, fine job.
    Kurtsan looks good too though, plenty galv and stainless parts.

O'donovan wouldnt be selling if it wasnt a decent product

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭cjpm

What are the benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Farmwife1

The cows are cleaner, puts a shine on them and happier they say.
    Cows could be housed for 3,4 or maybe 5 months, something for them to be at.
    The cows are working for you all year so you're giving them something back.
    That's my take on it anyway,maybe I'm mad

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

Farmwife1 wrote: »
    The cows are cleaner, puts a shine on them and happier they say.
    Cows could be housed for 3,4 or maybe 5 months, something for them to be at.
    The cows are working for you all year so you're giving them something back.
    That's my take on it anyway,maybe I'm mad

Not sure i think its worth the €1500 in my opinion for a motorised brush tbh...We have an old style one that just brushes essentially on a metal frame... I think it does the job that its needed... i dont get the point of it needing to be motorised...

Its not as if out in the field that the cow expect a tree to rub its back...and id imagine a good fabricator could make up the steel frame for a few 100 €€....

Just my two cents.. But either way i think its a great think to have for the cows while they are wintered. The cows defo enjoy it here anyways, and as you said, they work all year, so giving them something back is well worth it for a happier and healthier cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Farmwife1

jus_tin4 wrote: »
    Not sure i think its worth the €1500 in my opinion for a motorised brush tbh...We have an old style one that just brushes essentially on a metal frame... I think it does the job that its needed... i dont get the point of it needing to be motorised...

Its not as if out in the field that the cow expect a tree to rub its back...and id imagine a good fabricator could make up the steel frame for a few 100 €€....

Just my two cents.. But either way i think its a great think to have for the cows while they are wintered. The cows defo enjoy it here anyways, and as you said, they work all year, so giving them something back is well worth it for a happier and healthier cow.

What you're saying makes sence, we're thinking now, to do the job right we'd need 3 so we might just go ahead with a few fixed ones. We have nothing a the moment, so something is better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I often use a small hand brush on heifers here. It's a great way of quieten them. They love it, especially around the tail head. Some of them will even follow you around the yard when you stop doing it. You'll end up with very quiet cows and a pleasure to work with around calving etc.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I often use a small hand brush on heifers here. It's a great way of quieten them. They love it, especially around the tail head. Some of them will even follow you around the yard when you stop doing it. You'll end up with very quiet cows and a pleasure to work with around calving etc.

The curry comb,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Apparently croissants work as well:D

I'd often scratch the cows tails or rub their back behind the pin bones while driving them out of the cubicles. The only trouble is the queue that starts when a few stop for their scratch before going in milking:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Jb1989 wrote: »
    The curry comb,

No. Have a curry comb, but have one of these. Much softer and at €1.50, you can't go wrong. :cool:
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=261811580

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Advertisement
Advertisement