Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my chances realistically?

Options
  • 16-11-2019 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all
    After a pretty crappy time in the uk, for many reasons, i have decided to return to Ireland
    This is made slightly more complicated by the fact i have a sensory disability, so finding a job in Ireland, in the past, was difficult, hence the move.
    Now i'm coming home, and my mum says i can stay at her's, which is great obviously, but i won't even have a room there, and there'll be a new baby in the house soon, not mine i should add
    I'm just wondering, realistically, do i have a chance of council housing at all, or am i likely to live with family for an unspecified time period? I have been on daft.ie in the past few weeks, and my god the prices :eek:
    If anyone had any insight, i'd be grateful

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Council waiting lists vary on area but are many, many years in all of them; and single people are considered the dead lowest priority. You could be a decade or more basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

afterglow wrote: »
    Hi all
    After a pretty crappy time in the uk, for many reasons, i have decided to return to Ireland
    This is made slightly more complicated by the fact i have a sensory disability, so finding a job in Ireland, in the past, was difficult, hence the move.
    Now i'm coming home, and my mum says i can stay at her's, which is great obviously, but i won't even have a room there, and there'll be a new baby in the house soon, not mine i should add
    I'm just wondering, realistically, do i have a chance of council housing at all, or am i likely to live with family for an unspecified time period? I have been on daft.ie in the past few weeks, and my god the prices :eek:
    If anyone had any insight, i'd be grateful

Tell you from where I was two years ago not a chance. I was told off the record by a County council friend. I am somewhere in your area with disability. "You are not a priority". However there are ways around it. Have you got your sensory disability documented (psychologist/Occupational Therapist report)? Apply for council housing and then with a housing authority called Cluid.

I am on a different path for housing. The trap with council housing is you might be housed with perfectly fine people or you might get stuck with people with pharmceutical problems. Also show that you are busy. Try Employability for work and make friends with your social welfare officer so you dont end up with Seetec.

Best of luck. Keep positive and looking for opportunities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

There is nothing to stop you applying but realistically, your chances of being allocated a place within the next decade as a single person is zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Tell you from where I was two years ago not a chance. I was told off the record by a County council friend. I am somewhere in your area with disability. "You are not a priority". However there are ways around it. Have you got your sensory disability documented (psychologist/Occupational Therapist report)? Apply for council housing and then with a housing authority called Cluid.

I am on a different path for housing. The trap with council housing is you might be housed with perfectly fine people or you might get stuck with people with pharmceutical problems. Also show that you are busy. Try Employability for work and make friends with your social welfare officer so you dont end up with Seetec.

Best of luck. Keep positive and looking for opportunities

Firstly, thank you very much for your very honest reply :)
    I'm visually impaired, in the uk, they say severely sight impaired, in ireland, you're just blind and that's that 🀣
    i'm registered with the charity over there, and they have people that can help with applying for housing, benefits, etc.
    I've heard of that organisation you mentioned, so absolutely that will be in the plan
    I also, plan to try find work, failing that, volunteering, because specially when I'm in the actual family home, me being there all the time, might not be best for me or them :)
    they are lovely people, and needing to be around people, is part of my reason for being back, and I'm grateful to have ireland to come home to, but I'd also, at nearly 33, like my independence, and I can't help feeling now, that that's not going to be easy when I move back
    I'm so glad you're on track for your own house :) and thanks again for posting

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Hi

I would firstly go and put your name on the the Housing list with your local authority this alone is a requirement for you to be able to get hap (housing benifit). Now chances are you will not be able to rent a place in the capital even with hap. I'm not sure if it's an option but if you came out of the capital and to the commuter towns you would be more likely to be able to rent a place.
    Failing that get a good td to help re housing list. Afik you can get recommended for some housing associations and other you can apply for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I have a friend who is also severely visually impaired and she did get allocated a single person apartment by Respond - but this approx 15 ago.

You might have a greater chance with housing associations then with local authorities, as mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

undecided wrote: »
    Hi

I would firstly go and put your name on the the Housing list with your local authority this alone is a requirement for you to be able to get hap (housing benifit). Now chances are you will not be able to rent a place in the capital even with hap. I'm not sure if it's an option but if you came out of the capital and to the commuter towns you would be more likely to be able to rent a place.
    Failing that get a good td to help re housing list. Afik you can get recommended for some housing associations and other you can apply for.

That Council housing list is an absolute terror. They have you running back and forth and once you apply, you have a limited time to complete the paperwork or start again. Its a night mare . Enlist the help of Citizens Advice.
    If you are in the city then start looking at all the great towns outside of Dublin. Navan, Maynooth, Greystones etc with easily commuting of the capital.

Advertisement