Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax when separated

Options
  • 14-11-2019 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,

I informed revenue of separation beginning of this month. I was the main income in the household and had most of credits etc. I know there would be a drop in income due to this but today €1500 got deducted from my wages in income tax. Tax office said as I was not the assessable spouse I WAS assessed for the whole year as single. I told them I was sure I was the assessable spouse as I had larger income plus husband had not a clue about tax soI always managed it. Guy in tax office said no evidence of us requesting me as assessable spouse so it automatically went to husband. He can’t change it now he said as I’ve already said we’re separated. I’m livid and so upset as it has left me extremely short for bills , mortgage etc plus seems so unfair. If I was the assessable spouse I would have kept married credits until end of year but instead I owe €3000 , €1500 of which was deducted from wages without any notice to me. Anyone any advise? Can I prove I was the assessable spouse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

WiseOldOwl wrote: »
    I had larger income plus husband had not a clue about tax soI always managed it. Can I prove I was the assessable spouse?

Hi

it may all be a bit raw, but do you think the guy in revenue was making it up as he went along? He informed you your husband was the assessable spouse by default.

Now you need to have proof you ask them to make you the assessable spouse and they messed up the instruction. Did you do it via call, email, website etc? if you did then it can be proved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I don't think she specified intially that she was to be the assessable spouse but surely, in this day and age, they can't just 'automatically' presume that the husband is the bigger earner/assessable spouse?????

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WiseOldOwl

I never even heard the term assessable spouse until today so I have no recollection of ever requesting it. Tax guy said if no one requests it it usually goes to main earner , which is me. That means we would have had to request my husband be it, which I 100% know we would not have done. Isn’t it possible tax office made a mistake? He admitted that amount should not have been taken in one installement and should have been taken back over time. I’m about €1000 out of pocket and another €1500 owing so I think I’m entitled to question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I don't know anything about the internal workings of Revenue but it doesn't seem right to me that a presumption involving deductions would be made. Any dealings I have had with them on the phone, they have been very good - if that lad can't help, ask to be moved up to his line-manager who should have a more in-depth knowledge. Fight it.

Are you sure your husband didn't call them to make himself the assessable spouse?

• Advertisement

Yes, I think I’ll ring again and try to get someone else. He could see no evidence he said of any request for assessable spouse and it’s obvious I was main earner so I don’t know, it’s a huge mess now..... I should have left it until januar To tell them we separated.
    I don't know anything about the internal workings of Revenue but it doesn't seem right to me that a presumption involving deductions would be made. Any dealings I have had with them on the phone, they have been very good - if that lad can't help, ask to be moved up to his line-manager who should have a more in-depth knowledge. Fight it.

Totally sure, he wouldn’t have even known what that was.
    Are you sure your husband didn't call them to make himself the assessable spouse?

Just more of the crap you have to deal with when separating! Getting married was so much easier. 😢

Advertisement