Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neignbour problem and scrap vehicle in garden??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

It seems to me that you basically have two options:
    1) Offer to take it away at your own cost and even pay them an agreed sum for it if necessary or:
    2) Put the house on the market with the scrap van sitting in your neighbors garden.
    You seem to be against the principle of Option 1 but it would be the option that I would pursue - I suspect that the cost of removing the van will be significantly less than the drop in sale price if you put the house on the market with it sitting there! I certainly would be very wary of buying the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

You put a bee in his bonnet by asking him to stop parking in front of your garden. By the sounds of it, he's pretty happy that his scrap annoys you and has no intentions of getting rid of it to please you.

It's unfortunate but it seems he possibly thinks you are the uneighborly one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You have only one option; offer to pay for its removal. Otherwise, I don't see them moving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Serious bang of Mrs Bucket off this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I fail to see how the value the owner puts on his own possessions is dependant on the opinions of other people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

the_syco wrote: »
    You have only one option; offer to pay for its removal. Otherwise, I don't see them moving it.

The OP has a number of options open to him which he can explore.

Waste Mgt (End of life vehicle) Regulations 2014 or Section 71 1996 Waste Mgt Act as amended.

The op should have a quick read of the above and see which one applies in his case.
    Follow up with call to local CoCo and if that fails follow up with call to EPA. There is a complaint form on the EPA website.
    No need for eyesores in housing estates in this day and age regardless of whose properties they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the_syco wrote: »

Even if the OP pays, there's no guarantee that the neighbour wants it moved: one person's piece of yunk is another's gracefully ageing artwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Even if the OP pays, there's no guarantee that the neighbour wants it moved: one person's piece of yunk is another's gracefully ageing artwork.

Not very helpful to the OP ,

I’d say the neighbor knows this is annoying the OP and is leaving it there on purpose, hopefully there is indeed a bylaw to stop the dismantling or long term storage of vehicles on private property and the council can enforce removal, just like you can’t leave a caravan or Motorhome unmoved for over 7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Terrible situation to be in was in something similar until I sold last month, ar£ehole neighbour used private estate as a car park, owned at least 7 or 8 in estate as I could see them on DD and all you would hear at weekend is banging working on heaps of junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

red petal wrote: »
    You put a bee in his bonnet by asking him to stop parking in front of your garden. By the sounds of it, he's pretty happy that his scrap annoys you and has no intentions of getting rid of it to please you.
    It's unfortunate but it seems he possibly thinks you are the uneighborly one.

Yes, Im some a$$hat for wanting to get in and out of my driveway :(:)

Bigus wrote: »
    Not very helpful to the OP ,

I’d say the neighbor knows this is annoying the OP and is leaving it there on purpose, hopefully there is indeed a bylaw to stop the dismantling or long term storage of vehicles on private property and the council can enforce removal, just like you can’t leave a caravan or Motorhome unmoved for over 7 months.

I certainly dont like it and am not the only one, spoken to a few people now that aren't happy, so there's some momentum building, didn't even know it bothered them too.
    Unfortunately for the owner, if they dont sort it, Ill have no choice to stick around, Id have thought they'd like to see me go, but Im not taking a financial hit for it, couldnt.
    Still, some very useful pointers and information here about end of life vehicles, and the one above about remaining unmoved, need to look that one up more, thanks to those that provided that.
    As for the posters that support the other view, Im envisioning rooms stacked to the rafter with magazines, newspapers and covered in dog $hit, some serious hoarder mentality going on :eek:.
    As one poster said, absolutely no need for it in an estate in this day and age, really if it was a project in any shape or condition, it needs to be out of the weather in a shed/garage making even minimal progress, anything in this state is going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Serious bang of Mrs Bucket off this thread.

I don't think so
    Put it like this If you were going buy a house and you see two identical houses and both the same price on an estate one with a well kept garden and the other garden full of junk which would you pick.

I know which I would go for

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

Did anyone miss the part it's parked in neighbours drive way.... It's their property. I find it tad creepy to be even asking what he intends to do on his own property. Sell the house and move countryside so you won't have to deal with people having stuff in their drive ways.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

did you ever talk to the council or is that only for wrecks left on the road these days? whenever I changed my car they always offered to take the old one away and did so, so they do do it from private properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know of a few people with scrap vehicles outside there house.
    They are used to store stuff.
    They owners leave stuff in them because they are serious hoarders.
    They have plans to fix it up.
    Some may get rid of it after a while. If it's being used as a shed tough expect something else.

One thing tough they all have in common is they always have scrap yards, breakers yards, etc onto them about buying the vechile but they never really leave go.

mea_k wrote: »
    Did anyone miss the part it's parked in neighbours drive way.... It's their property. I find it tad creepy to be even asking what he intends to do on his own property. Sell the house and move countryside so you won't have to deal with people having stuff in their drive ways.....

Just because its 'his own driveway' doesn't give them the right to keep scrap on them regardless of whether its rural or urban.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Buy the neighbours a decent car cover and your prospective buyers might think it's a vintage car under the covers.
    Neighbours also their property protection from the elements, win-win for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just because its 'his own driveway' doesn't give them the right to keep scrap on them regardless of whether its rural or urban.

Of course it does because its their property

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

1874 wrote: »
    Is there any way (short of petrol) of getting/convincing/forcing a neighbour of disposing of a pile of scrap vehicle on their front garden?? any suggestions.
    They have no use for it, their neighbourly attitude is in short supply due to some other things Ive experienced with them, Id like to move from the area anyway, but will have to see if its even possible, if it is, I'd be all over it.

The things is, I consider Id stand to lose a lot of money and potential buyers if I put my house for sale and they saw the vehicle abandoned in their driveway, so that would mean it just couldn't be done, I simply could not afford to throw away money and that includes starting a sale if it puts buyers off as generally a no sale still incurs an agent fee even ignoring upfront costs. I get the impression the neighbours keep their home clean, so Im a bit confused as to why they'd leave a pile of scrap in their front garden. Even if moving turns out to not be an option, this vehicle is just an eyesore, been sat there for 2 years??
    From recent enquiries it seems the council aren't in the least bit bothered about anything so that doesnt seem to be an option, Im not sure what my options would be that could encourage them to shift it???
    If the council arent a runner, I guess Im being a bit naive thinking the EPA??
    Any suggestions
    It's their garden and they can do as they please really. I think you ought to just get on with it and ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

mea_k wrote: »

Exactly right, the world would be a better place if we all minded our own business

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The world would be a better place if people showed consideration to their neighbours and community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I still think buying the neighbours a car cover/tarpaulin benefits ye both and solves the issue.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-accessories/car-covers-tarpaulins

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Of course it does because its their property

Nope. 1996 Waste Mgt Act plus the other regs and amendments prohibit people piling scrap/elvs/ waste on their property unless of course they're licensed/permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nope. 1996 Waste Mgt Act plus the other regs and amendments prohibit people piling scrap/elvs/ waste on their property unless of course they're licensed/permitted.

exactly so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

One person's classification as scrap is another person's storage/future project.

Just because it has no value to one, doesn't mean it doesn't have value to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

The OP has a number of options open to him which he can explore.

Waste Mgt (End of life vehicle) Regulations 2014 or Section 71 1996 Waste Mgt Act as amended.

The op should have a quick read of the above and see which one applies in his case.
    Follow up with call to local CoCo and if that fails follow up with call to EPA. There is a complaint form on the EPA website.
    No need for eyesores in housing estates in this day and age regardless of whose properties they are on.

Also :

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1990/act/14/section/11/enacted/en/html#sec11

In this section “derelict site” means any land (in this section referred to as “the land in question”) which detracts, or is likely to detract, to a material degree from the amenity, character or appearance of land in the neighbourhood of the land in question because of—

(a) the existence on the land in question of structures which are in a ruinous, derelict or dangerous condition, or

(b) the neglected, unsightly or objectionable condition of the land or any structures on the land in question, or

(c) the presence, deposit or collection on the land in question of any litter, rubbish, debris or waste, except where the presence, deposit or collection of such litter, rubbish, debris or waste results from the exercise of a right conferred by statute or by common law.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Sell your house to the council. They won't care what's next door to you. Plus you won't have to pay estate agent fees as there'll be no need to use their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Look if you going to keep an old delapidated wreck of a car on the front of your property its not in keeping with the tone of the area or considerate to your neighbours... taupaulin ok i would have no issues there but to make the place look like a junk yard if not neighbourly or the right thing... because you can doesnt mean you should.

One person's classification as scrap is another person's storage/future project.

Just because it has no value to one, doesn't mean it doesn't have value to another.

I won't argue this anymore. There is legislation out there which the OP can avail of free of charge, he can ring his LA Env Enforcement Section and they will decide what is or isn't scrap or waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I won't argue this anymore. There is legislation out there which the OP can avail of free of charge, he can ring his LA Env Enforcement Section and they will decide what is or isn't scrap or waste.

Thanks for the opinions/information, that other kind of argument is silly IMO, ie one mans scrap is another mans treasure, I believe isnt the meaning they are saying or think themselves.
    Im not a person to throw out useful stuff, this is more like when you get some hoarder who keeps old magazines they will never read or no different to someone who keeps a selection of even useful/viable vintage vehicles that they are just letting rot and will never do anything with them, it doesnt mean they have a right to impose it on everyone, this vehicle isnt even a viable prospect for that and a housing estate isnt a suitable location either. I like older vehicles, but anything that survives to become classic isnt usually left out to rot, there is clearly no intention here form the owner to regard it as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One thing I would say OP is if the neighbors clock your trying to sell the house/etc and you cause them hassle with the car. They may act up more so if there was potential buyers around.

Advertisement