Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSO discrimination survey

Options
  • 04-07-2019 8:53pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The 2019 Q1 Equality and discrimination survey has been published by the central statistics office. It charts the percentage of people over 18 years old that have experienced discrimination in the past 2 years.
    In Quarter 1 2019, the highest rates of perceived discrimination were among the following groups
    • Persons identifying as LGBTI+ (33.2%) compared with non-LGBTI+ persons (17.2%)
    • Persons from non-white ethnic backgrounds (33.1%)
    • Unemployed (30.2%)
    • Non-Irish nationals (26.7%)
    • People with a disability (24.1%) compared with those without a disability (16.7%)
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ed/equalityanddiscrimination2019/

Comments

I don't really know what's the point of all this, I mean it all looks a bit skewered tbh. If 10% of the population is gay and a third of them feel victimised, but then 90% of the population is straight and 17% of them are discriminated against (by who FFS!!??) what's really going on? Sorry if I'm reading this wrong, but nearly 17% of people who don't have a disability feel some kind of discrimination?

I'm just not getting the point of your thread OP, apologies if you have to hammer it into my thick stupid skull!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

Seems you should click the link.

"Bullying or harassment (32.8%) was the most common issue identified in discrimination In the workplace, followed by Promotion and Work conditions (both at 18.9%)."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The point is that there is still a significant problem of discrimination against people identifying as LGBT+ in Ireland, and this is in the last 2 years ie well after the SSM referendum which is typically used as a reference point when Ireland made a big leap forward. This survey shows the reality of the situation, there is discrimination and there is still a way to go yet for LGBT+ people.

In the survey itself expand table 1, the figures there should hopefully clarify the results for you. I'm not sure what way you're interpreting it.

Advertisement