Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ragwort - Can I top?

• 04-07-2019 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Had ragworth in one field 2 years ago. Pulled it all by hand. It's back in several fields now and I'm using most for grazing. Can I just top them and let the cattle in later or is there a risk to the cattle if I do?

Any solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,624 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It depends how much there is.
    If it’s only a bit it would be grand, have done it here.

If there’s lots of strong ragworts I wouldn’t let cattle in to graze it after topping.

Pulled a half dozen this evening myself, hateful things.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Top it and leave it for at least 30 days or until it rots. But it will grow again.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Top it and leave it for at least 30 days or until it rots. But it will grow again.

But if it’s tooped in time it won’t seed further which is a big deal. We constantly have fresh stuff growing because my neighbor has loads seeding every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Had ragworth in one field 2 years ago. Pulled it all by hand. It's back in several fields now and I'm using most for grazing. Can I just top them and let the cattle in later or is there a risk to the cattle if I do?

Any solutions?

You can't top it if you are going to let cattle out on it. Pulling ragwort for one year and thinking you'll be sorted is a waste of time. It takes 2 years for ragwort to grow and you will need to pull it for at least 3 years to make any impact, even at that you need to make sure to pull any that appear in the following years or it won't be long till it comes back as bad as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The main problem with topping is that ragworth becomes palatable after it is cut/wilts. If there is a abundance of it wilting/drying then livestock will invariably eat it and my understanding is that the more they eat the more damage they do to their livers and that liver damage is detrimental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

lanod2407 wrote: »

Any solutions?

Pulling is the best solution. It's a slow, messy job but doing a section at a time makes it a bit more manageable. Topping will make it more palatable to cattle but they generally won't eat it unless there's nothing else to eat in the paddock. So you can graze and pull later before it sees if you want.

I'd be very reluctant to top and graze.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

If uv a neighbour with a few Suffolk ewes ask him to drop them in, they will peel dem out of d ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Wait till the ground is soft. Never that long in Ireland. I agree pulling is the only way. Wear gloves, pull to one side, then the other. Easier on the back.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If topping twud have to be a topper as opposed to a mower, as the mower would lay it flat and it may stay palatable for longer where as a topper would have it rotting faster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thanks to Chisler 2 from another thread. This Magna Gracae would lift them for you;
    https://youtu.be/v1W0cQ1lh0s

Ragworth is a biennial so two years to largely clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Anyone use a rag fork to dig them out? Find that they are pulling out of the ground very easily during this dry spell.

Think topping takes about 7 years to get rid of them completely. Definitely do something with them before they go to seed. Between 10k and 50k seeds per plant apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

We have always had these on our grazing. Pulled for years always coming back. Then been topping for last 20 years. Paddock system so cows off for 19 to 25 or so days. Intensive grazing and never any problems topper cut them well up.

By the time the cows are off it's too wet and steep to spray. But did spray some yrs with quad. Hoping to get spraying in autumn this year. We used to top big flowered ones but it might have made it worse you need to get them before flowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

What’s the best spray to use on them?

shrek008 wrote: »

Would love to know. Any I have used will stunt them but they sit there for weeks (months). Half dead but not growing break off easily when trying to pull. I have never gotten a very successful kill with anything I used. But I always had noticabley less the following summer. I am more worried spraying them than topping because they sit there so long.
    Anyone else get a good kill from something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

D50 in the spring or autumn. When spraying in the spring spray at the rosette stage. Frost will hamper the kill. All plants must be fully dead before stock can go back in. I bought in stock years ago from a farm who hadn't left the stock off a sprayed field long enough and a good few of them died. I didn't know this when I bought them

whelan2 wrote: »
    D50 in the spring or autumn. When spraying in the spring spray at the rosette stage. Frost will hamper the kill. All plants must be fully dead before stock can go back in. I bought in stock years ago from a farm who hadn't left the stock off a sprayed field long enough and a good few of them died. I didn't know this when I bought them

How long do you wait Whelan? I sprayed a silage field ith D50 and eventually had to break off the tops as they were not going anywhere some black and mushy some a paler green than normal. Were sprayed at rosette stage.
    Hardest things ever to get rid off.

satstheway wrote: »
    How long do you wait Whelan? I sprayed a silage field ith D50 and eventually had to break off the tops as they were not going anywhere some black and mushy some a paler green than normal. Were sprayed at rosette stage.
    Hardest things ever to get rid off.

Waited about a month. Got lad from where I bought spray from to look at them. They did eventually die

Waited about a month. Got lad from where I bought spray from to look at them. They did eventually die

Mine sprayed over 4 weeks before cutting. Not Coming back after cutting thank God

Funny I noticed about a dozen in a field they never been in before.

And even a few in my lawn, so regular mowing alone doesn’t kill them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

You’ll get a good kill McPa if done at the correct stage. Also I think I read somewhere that it’s only the flower that is poisonous so if cut before flowering they won’t do any harm to cattle but don’t take my word for it.

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »
    You’ll get a good kill McPa if done at the correct stage. Also I think I read somewhere that it’s only the flower that is poisonous so if cut before flowering they won’t do any harm to cattle but don’t take my word for it.

They are always poisonous. Flower or no flower

They are always poisonous. Flower or no flower

Yea poison throughout.

Even poisonous to pull the stems with bare hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea poison throughout.

Even poisonous to pull the stems with bare hands.

Does anyone know why they don't poison sheep?
    Sheep are great at controlling them...They need to be grazing the ground in the spring, when the ragworth is in the early stages. There won't be many of them reaching the flowering stage, if you have enough sheep....

hopeso wrote: »
    Does anyone know why they don't poison sheep?
    Sheep are great at controlling them...They need to be grazing the ground in the spring, when the ragworth is in the early stages. There won't be many of them reaching the flowering stage, if you have enough sheep....

No don't affect sheep

No don't affect sheep

That's not entirely true,
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingsectors/crops/controlofnoxiousweeds/RagwortInformationSheet210317.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjHwIrOxJ_jAhU1sXEKHZndCiUQFjALegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1CNQm-o5gPUYXCbNeCwxDq

Ragwort is a highly poisonous plant if eaten. Ragwort is toxic to cattle, horses, deer, goats,
    pigs and chickens. Sheep are less affected by it but some trials would suggest lower thrive
    due to eating ragwort. The poisonous substances in ragwort are toxic alkaloids (Jacobine,
    Jacodine and Jaconine). These cause the liver to accumulate copper, causing ill heath and
    death. On good pastures livestock avoid eating ragwort, as it is unpalatable, but where there
    is over-stocking and grass is scarce the weed is unavoidably eaten. The poisonous material
    contained in ragwort is not destroyed by drying. Hay containing ragwort is particularly
    dangerous. Grass silage containing ragwort is also a serious source of poisoning. Cases of
    poisoning occurring in late winter and spring often result from the feeding for some months
    previously of hay or silage cut from ragwort infested swards.

I think I remember someone saying sheep don't live as long as cows so don't show as much affects of the ragwort.

Possibly, think they also tend to eat the plants when they are very small and less potent.

emaherx wrote: »
    Possibly, think they also tend to eat the plants when they are very small and less potent.

Yes but they will only eat the ragwort if there's very little grass there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I wondered why it had "wort" in it's name and looked it up.

What is a wort plant?

"In combination Used in names of plants and herbs, especially those used formerly as food or medicinally, e.g. butterwort, lungwort, woundwort. Archaic: A plant or herb used as food or medicinally. 'St. John's wort is an herb that some people use to treat depression." (from the internet)

"It is used to make medicine. Be careful not to confuse golden ragwort (Senecio aureus) with other species of ragwort, such as alpine ragwort and tansy ragwort. Despite serious safety concerns, people take golden ragwort to treat diabetes, high blood pressure, water retention, bleeding, chest congestion, and spasms." (from the internet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Came across one of these red insects the other day while out walking. It turns out they were introduced into Australia and New Zealand to control ragwort.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar_moth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

topnotch wrote: »
    Came across one of these red insects the other day while out walking. It turns out they were introduced into Australia and New Zealand to control ragwort.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar_moth

36294484035_280a3a6979_c.jpg

Been using them here for last couple of years to help control ragwort. They have the biggest impact in caterpillar form.

July 2017

36127436462_8a3ab50968_c.jpg

July 2019

48234982322_fd9e160191_c.jpg

There are a few small ragwort plants here to be pulled but massive reduction in 2 years. Plenty of thistles to deal with but at least they can be topped.

36294484035_280a3a6979_c.jpg

Been using them here for last couple of years to help control ragwort. They have the biggest impact in caterpillar form.

Last year we had loads of them caterpillars here and they could eat. None this year. Can they be bought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Anyone use a rag fork to dig them out? Find that they are pulling out of the ground very easily during this dry spell.

Think topping takes about 7 years to get rid of them completely. Definitely do something with them before they go to seed. Between 10k and 50k seeds per plant apparently.

Been using one where the plants appear - though its mainly fields which are close to boundaries now or where there is seeding from adjacent fields. Great job and help remove root and all and good to prevent back ache tbh ...

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote:
    Been using one where the plants appear - though its mainly fields which are close to boundaries now or where there is seeding from adjacent fields. Great job and help remove root and all and good to prevent back ache tbh ...

Can you recommend a good one or where to get one. See plenty on ebay but would be unsure how sturdy they are. (I have been known to be hard on handles)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Can you recommend a good one or where to get one. See plenty on ebay but would be unsure how sturdy they are. (I have been known to be hard on handles)

Afaik the one that I have and had for about 10 years is the FYNA LITE ragworth fork.

I haven't broken it yet and it's got a fair bit of abuse tbh. Bought it on the internet but can't remember where - some UK website I think . Prices are fairly similar- just watch for P&P costs.

satstheway wrote: »
    Last year we had loads of them caterpillars here and they could eat. None this year. Can they be bought?

They can be bought, I wouldn't rule them out yet though, I thought they were gone this time last year but by end of the month the place was infested. Suspect I won't see too many this year as there is such a small amount of ragwort. Once they emerge as moths they will fly to the nearest large area of ragwort. (Which is not a bad thing as they will attack the neighbors fields) I suppose it wouldn't be in their interest to completely destroy all ragwort.

They can be bought, I wouldn't rule them out yet though, I thought they were gone this time last year but by end of the month the place was infested. Suspect I won't see too many this year as there is such a small amount of ragwort. Once they emerge as moths they will fly to the nearest large area of ragwort. (Which is not a bad thing as they will attack the neighbors fields) I suppose it wouldn't be in their interest to completely destroy all ragwort.

You must be psychic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

shrek008 wrote: »
    Forefront. D-50 is a waste of time IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Forefront. D-50 is a waste of time IMO

D50 has worked 100% effectively for me, and most probably thousands of other farmers. Has been the go to product for ragwort control for very many farmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I have some here on a piece of ground that won't see livestock. Is spraying the way to go to get rid? I suppose best to pull if they show the flower and spray regrowth?

Muckit wrote: »
    I have some here on a piece of ground that won't see livestock. Is spraying the way to go to get rid? I suppose best to pull if they show the flower and spray regrowth?

Yea, don't spray if in flower they will go to seed.

Pull now, spray in autumn and again in spring.
    Whatever you do, once you start keep on until they are all gone or you are wasting your time.

Even when you think they are all gone, there may be seed still viable in the ground which will reappear later possibly after being disturbed by poaching or ground cracking in drought etc. These should be small in number and can be dealt with by spot treatment or pulling when in flower. I take the approach now of never walking into a field with ragwort without pulling some before I leave.

I filled 3 tipping trailer loads a few years ago from one 10 acre field. Have about 1 big fertilizer bag worth this year across 60 acres of what was heavily infested land.

emaherx wrote:

Going well here too. Have hardly seen a plant that isnt crawling with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,972 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you spray you need to spray in either November or Feb/March and you have to do it two years in a row at least. . Ragworth is a biennial it seeds skip a year . seeds from ragworth that flowers this year will not Germinate until late next summer so spraying on one yaer only fails to kill them. Its also the reason that summer spraying is virtually useless as they will flower straight after spraying and viable seeds will germinate 12-15 months later . It is also why lads after spraying one autumn/spring thinking they are gone find them reappearing again 16-20 months later. With spraying you need to make sure the rosette's have regrown in the spring before spraying. When you have got good control it is important to then pull any that appear every year so as not to let them seed. Lads often make the mistake of throwing a plant into the hedgerow after pulling some. These plants will go to seed from there food reserves. either take back to yard and thrown in a rubbish bin or pull flower heads off them wearing gloves before you throw into hedgerow. If you top single ones in a field pick up as well and dispose of

Slava Ukrainii

I found spraying once in Mar/April completely cleared them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Water John wrote: »
    I found spraying once in Mar/April completely cleared them.

What did you spray with?

D-50 and use a stick on in the mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

No topping required here

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

whelan2 wrote:
    Yes but they will only eat the ragwort if there's very little grass there.

Not totally true, saw Suffolk ewe running up the field 1 evening she stopped went back and started polishing off the yellow flower they will eat them right down. Our problem here is theres field down the road from us where in the summer it's a sea of yellow the wind carries the seed up to us, always graze the meadows with sheep b4 closing them

• Advertisement
Advertisement