Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP Rent limits

Options
  • 07-04-2020 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

I'm a bit confused about the term Rent Limits.

In Dublin City, the maximum net income for a lone tenant to be eligible for HAP is 35k for a single person.

As is my understanding, a social tenant usually pays 15 percent of their take home pay as rent, be that income from a job or welfare.

www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/housing_assistance_payment.html#l4292e

By "rent limits" I take it this is the maximum amount of money the council will contribute towards your rent, and if the amount plus your 15 percent falls short of the rent of the room/ property you are after, you are required to pay more than 15 percent. Am I correct?

Example. Say I take home 2500 in an average month. 15 percent of that is 375.

If I wish to rent a one bed flat in Dublin and it costs 1300, the council will only pay a maximum of 660 of the cost, and I would have to pay 540 myself (rather than simply paying 375 if I was renting a council acquired/ owned flat).

Do I have that correct? The citizens information explanation is, as always with them, ridiculously vague.

To me it seems there is an awful lot of people in Dublin either unaware of their HAP entitlements or too proud to use them. I'd wager a vast majority of Dublin renters are not taking home above 35k per year (a good amount would be lucky to see that before tax)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Please don't post the same question multiple times jimmyrustle.

Moving to State Benefits where you may get a better response.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Example. Say I take home 2500 in an average month. 15 percent of that is 375.

If I wish to rent a one bed flat in Dublin and it costs 1300, the council will only pay a maximum of 660 of the cost, and I would have to pay 540 myself (rather than simply paying 375 if I was renting a council acquired/ owned flat).

Council would pay 660 to the landlord,
    You would pay 640 to the landlord,
    You would pay 375 to the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Saudades wrote: »
    Council would pay 660 to the landlord,
    You would pay 640 to the landlord,
    You would pay 375 to the council.

Sorry I meant 640, not 540.

So yes, where it says rent limit of 660, 660 is the maximum amount the council would contribute.

Is that correct?

It's pretty appalling that the citizens information site doesn't actually make this crystal clear, but it's par for the course on most of that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dozymare

could i ask .If my take home pay is €615 gross €500 take home per week and I qualify for HAP. I live with 2 children(under 10) on my own.
    I have found an apartment for €1650 per month in Dublin, How much would I pay to 1)HAP 2)Landlord.
    My brain is fried trying to work it out and I cant get a straight answer from anyone.Help please

Advertisement