15-10-2020, 16:46   #1
mr_fegelien
Banned

Has the noughties been the best decade for mens tennis?

It seems that with the exception of professional sports commentators, elderly people, and tennis players, no one remembers the big winners in the 60-80s in tennis.

Meanwhile people like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro etc... are known world over and I don't think we'll see greats like them again.

Is this true or not?
Advertisement
22-10-2020, 00:28   #2
Ludikrus

How are youngsters supposed to remember winners in the 60s - 80s? Seeing as you excluded “elderly” people (whatever that means). I’m around since the late 70’s so not quite elderly. I know the history of Laver, Borg, McEnroe, Connors, etc. It was a great time for tennis.
Thanks from:
28-10-2020, 15:07   #3
Rob2D

The achievements are better now but the characters were better back then. I imagine it was probably more fun to follow men's tennis in the 60's/70's/80's.
28-10-2020, 15:20   #4
Scmag111

This has been one of the worst eras for tennis, competition is what makes any sport interesting and for the past 15 years the only real time any tennis was competitive was in the semis or final where one of the big three plus maybe Murray met.

Also, while Nadal, Federer and Djokovic are up there as the greatest there is no real personality about tennis. Think back to when you have great matches between Becker, Edberg. Connors. McEnroe etc... there was no clear favourite at the start of a tournament and any match from the quarters on could have included the overall winner along with a bust up along the way.

I think tennis since the late 2000s has benefitted from increased sponsorship but like snooker for example if you take the top few players out the quality is not very good.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion