09-06-2020, 13:44   #1
gumbo1

Mackeral 2020

Any sign of them on East Coast at all?
Advertisement
10-06-2020, 11:25   #2
pullandbang
Hosted Moderator

Two of us fished Howth yesterday from kayaks. Other chap got one mack and I got zero!
Chatting to two lads on a boat behind Ireland's Eye and they had about twenty between them. Still very sporadic.
Lots of Pollock though. At times it was like hitting shoals of macks with a full house on every drop.
Thanks from:
10-06-2020, 20:57   #3
gumbo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullandbang View Post
Two of us fished Howth yesterday from kayaks. Other chap got one mack and I got zero!
Chatting to two lads on a boat behind Ireland's Eye and they had about twenty between them. Still very sporadic.
Lots of Pollock though. At times it was like hitting shoals of macks with a full house on every drop.
I was on the outside of Dún Laoghaire East pier yesterday. Didn't seem to be aything about, there was a few others along there too. Lads up the West didn't land any either. I'll be back out to other spots around Dublin over the next few weeks so there's time yet for the numbers to get bigger.
17-06-2020, 00:55   #4
Larsso30

Been up wicklow pier few times and not had a sniff. Plenty of dogs about but not had any macks yet
Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 18:34   #5
US2

Plenty caught in Co Clare over the weekend, not as big as I'd like but will do for bait
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-06-2020, 19:23   #6
CraigM84

Quote:
Originally Posted by US2 View Post
Plenty caught in Co Clare over the weekend, not as big as I'd like but will do for bait
Been out around Dunlicky/Kilkee cliffs a few times myself in the last week, some nice sizes but few and far between for the length of time spent out, had caught more from 7:30 - 9pm when was there, did start about 5 ish give or take a few, left just before dark
(3) thanks from:
02-07-2020, 19:16   #7
gearoidol

7 mackerel today from the beautiful Sheep’s head in Bantry. Most were quite decent in size . Beautiful day to be out .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 436DBFFC-10C5-4EA9-861B-EF9D486A7103.jpeg (2.77 MB, 352 views)
File Type: jpeg 8C2353C7-38E8-48AD-B50A-D3E7709EB48A.jpeg (2.49 MB, 241 views)
(3) thanks from:
07-07-2020, 16:38   #8
Mapaputsi

Hoping to do a little bit of angling for Mackeral in the coming weeks – have not fished for years but used to go to Ballyvaughan/Black Head and go from the rocks there, had some good evenings in the past but plenty of barren ones also.

Anyone on here been around that area recently and can tell me if I’m wasting my time?
Thanks!
10-07-2020, 10:16   #9
robbie67

Went out last Saturday between 6 of us caught 3 very small mackerel released them but caught some lovely pollock biggest i seen in a few years i was on a boat off Lambay island
Advertisement
10-07-2020, 21:54   #10
kildare lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapaputsi View Post
Hoping to do a little bit of angling for Mackeral in the coming weeks – have not fished for years but used to go to Ballyvaughan/Black Head and go from the rocks there, had some good evenings in the past but plenty of barren ones also.

Anyone on here been around that area recently and can tell me if I’m wasting my time?
Thanks!
Fished there last year, we got 2 mackeral for the week , it's a fxckin joke what them trawlers are getting away with
Thanks from:
12-07-2020, 16:46   #11
CraigM84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapaputsi View Post

Thanks!
Was up that way over a week ago, spent couple of evening out, first was down around black head, just down from the lighthouse, was a bust. after that headed towards ballyvaughan and went off the rocks along that road, between 4 of us, we managed a whole pollock, decent enough size, but that was it. we had spent the best part of the day fishing off the rock just south of black head and then spend the end of the day up no the north side of it. Wasnt really a successful trip with the 1 fish, we were using a mix of mackeral and black lug for bait. will probably head further south towards carrigaholt or bridges of ross for next time out
13-07-2020, 00:16   #12
nthclare
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM84 View Post
Was up that way over a week ago, spent couple of evening out, first was down around black head, just down from the lighthouse, was a bust. after that headed towards ballyvaughan and went off the rocks along that road, between 4 of us, we managed a whole pollock, decent enough size, but that was it. we had spent the best part of the day fishing off the rock just south of black head and then spend the end of the day up no the north side of it. Wasnt really a successful trip with the 1 fish, we were using a mix of mackeral and black lug for bait. will probably head further south towards carrigaholt or bridges of ross for next time out
Are you looking for rock fishing or beach mark's, North Clare fishes better from the middle of August up until late October..

Yes head southwards, much easier to catch fish from The Bridges of Ross around as far as Leabasheeda in the Estuary...
Plenty of marks you'll find them online.
15-07-2020, 10:56   #13
wayguk

nothing from howth pier monday, tuesday.
nothing from portmarnock/malahide yesterday either.
lots of dog fish.
do you think the mackerel are late this year?
19-07-2020, 09:15   #14
pollocks

Plenty Mack's this morning from Tramore
(2) thanks from:
19-07-2020, 09:21   #15
ted1

Thousands of whitebait/sprat jumping on to the beach in Ballymoney, Wexford yesterday. Reckon there must be plenty of Mackrel along the coast chasing them in.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion