Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Decathlon.

Options
  • 11-06-2020 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Decathlon opening up this Saturday. Thinking of going for a look see.

Anyone any experience of their running clobber?

Ta.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Decathlon opening up this Saturday. Thinking of going for a look see.

Anyone any experience of their running clobber?

Ta.

Think i will give it a few weeks, as the queues will be big?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I've been buying their stuff for about the last 10 years and its great, good finish and long lasting and a decent price. Anytime I was on holiday in Europe, you'd always check where the nearest shop was and buy stuff.

You can buy online to their shop since the lockdown started and I've made a few purchases and they turn up in two days. No problem with it at all. I don't know about their runners though as they're not long lasting for me so i avoid them.

The only downsize is their website is awful to trawl through, it needs serious work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

chinguetti wrote: »
    I've been buying their stuff for about the last 10 years and its great, good finish and long lasting and a decent price. Anytime I was on holiday in Europe, you'd always check where the nearest shop was and buy stuff.

You can buy online to their shop since the lockdown started and I've made a few purchases and they turn up in two days. No problem with it at all. I don't know about their runners though as they're not long lasting for me so i avoid them.

The only downsize is their website is awful to trawl through, it needs serious work.

Did you ever buy bikes from there, how does their sizes work if you did?

Thanks

I love their running tops.

Thanks

No, I never bought bikes there as they were too far away if you'd an issue and afterwards, it would be much easier to deal local in my mind. Their cycling gear is great stuff too so I'd say the bikes are good stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I got these shorts on the recommendation of BeepBeep.... They have a pocket in the waist, great for trails.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/men-s-trail-running-baggy-shorts-graph-en-s145971.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I love Decathlon! Delighted its finally opening here although I won't be rushing up on Saturday in the current climate.

Their website is slow and not very nice to navigate but at the same time their delivery is good value and they get the stuff to you typically in 2 days.

My OH buys some of their cycling bits and I've bought items for running as well as general bits like bags, jackets etc. Its probably not necessarily the best quality items available, but for the price, they're fantastic. They carry such a range of good for all sorts of sports from gymnastics to equestrianism so its great if you're only starting out with a new hobby and don't want to overly invest upfront.

I was first introduced to it in Barcelona at a work conference a few years ago and ever since anytime I've been near one I've made sure to take a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Same here, bought camping, running, playing stuff from them and never had a problem, the quality is great, plenty of choices quite innovative too.
    Watch your wallet though: everything is tempting.

echancrure wrote: »
    Same here, bought camping, running, playing stuff from them and never had a problem, the quality is great, plenty of choices quite innovative too.
    Watch your wallet though: everything is tempting.

This is very true. Its a bit like Penneys (although better quality) but I've been known to ramble around and just throw things in my basket and it can get out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I love decathlon, my wife and kids are also fans, and we will happily drive an hour each way to make a trip to it everytime we go on holiday. We normally have to restrain ourselves from buying stuff we want, because of weight restrictions flying home. Will be great to have access to one in Dublin.

I don't plan to face the queues on Saturday though.

I'm not sure what sports they are going to cover but i am sure it will be a great destination to browse. I have lots of their cycling kit and it is all good quality, at a fraction of the price of premium brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 photovoodoo100

Thanks

Hi I bought 2 bikes from them last week a 16" girls and 20" boys very nice bikes sturdy too. Only thing is they are charging for shipping now plus 20 euro setup charge for each bike, they come delivered ready to ride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Great shop but dangerous to go into without a definite plan. Last time I was in one was with a friend in Germany who was getting something for his wife. I came out with way more stuff even though I'd no intention of getting anything:o

I've goten a few nice random bits from them over the years.

I know these are really common (I've the older version) but their €3 backpacks are so handy. I always bring mine on holiday as they're great for daytrips etc (suncream, bottle of water etc) and they're so small and light that they really don't take up much room in your luggage.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/nh100-10-litres-backpack-black-en-s301684.html

I also recommend their goggles if like me you're more of an occasional swimmer - again €3 and they're perfect.

I also have a few of these microfiber towels (again mine are older, but linking to similar) that fold away quite compactly and also always come on holiday with us because while they're possibly not as absorbent as a normal towel, they take up so much less space.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/compact-microfibre-towel-size-l-80-x-130-cm-blue-en-s158325.html

My OH also swears by their faux under armour/ compression style lycra tops for layering up in winter. I think the last one I bought him was about €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I was lucky enough to get a Family + Friends invite for Friday, and I got paid yesterday......this might get messy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

I travel light going on holidays to Europe, first shop is always Decathlon..love their gear, mainly running gear and fleeces and outdoor clothing etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to get a Family + Friends invite for Friday, and I got paid yesterday......this might get messy :)
    Anyway i could be added to your friends list???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Anyone know what their opening hours will be, doesn't appear to be on their website apart from tomorrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Here u go

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Hurrache wrote: »
    Anyone know what their opening hours will be, doesn't appear to be on their website apart from tomorrows.

10-30 to 8 ( 7 on Sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I got these shorts on the recommendation of BeepBeep.... They have a pocket in the waist, great for trails.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/men-s-trail-running-baggy-shorts-graph-en-s145971.html

Where was that Beepbeep link DOH cant find it just checking how much they increased? up to €20 with limited stock here...need a few but could wait a few weeks

yes gone up to €20 was €16 ah well they are good it has to be said...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Same as above, any time I'm abroad and near one it's a must visit.

My parents lived in Spain for a few years, up the road from one so I've tons of stuff from it.

I know it's out of season, but a tip is to check out the mountaineering section, some great hats and snoods for winter running. Also some really great value fleeces etc.

Won't be going near it today, would be madness. Work close to it though so will pop in during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Anyone there today?

I have heard that there's a 2 hour queue from seeing something on Twitter but how true that is, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

chinguetti wrote: »
    I have heard that there's a 2 hour queue from seeing something on Twitter but how true that is, I don't know.

Looks long enough to me: https://twitter.com/RMcGreevy1301/status/1271733013278326784

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Where was that Beepbeep link DOH cant find it just checking how much they increased? up to €20 with limited stock here...need a few but could wait a few weeks

yes gone up to €20 was €16 ah well they are good it has to be said...

I got them for 20 earlier in the year, must get some more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Dropped in today. Queued for about 35 minutes.
    Picked up a nice few bits. I’ll be back when things settle down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Just an update...

First time visit today, picked up a bosu ball, and a suspension trainer amongst other bits and bobs.. About 3.30pm there was zero Q, nobody waiting and shop not too busy.... dealt with 3 different staff members in the shop, each was incredibly helpful and friendly, very impressed, one absolute gent even carrying some stuff to the car for me. The size and layout of the store makes distancing a doddle, absolutely no worries at all it’s HUGE with big and wide aisles, sanitizer stations also provided.. a VERY good experience in keeping in general with the all be it non covid Decathlon visits I’ve made to Decathlon in France. Had a good look around as it was so quiet and the prices are very good and competitive.

Great to have them here, be back in a heartbeat.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm about 3 miles away from the one in Stockport - it's dangerous! Ideal for trying something new and for gear for the children.

So would anyone recommend their trainers?

The bikes seem to be incredible value

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

Was looking at their website. Are any type of leggings/trousers sized very long in the leg length? Shortest i can see is 33" which is strange?

• Advertisement
Advertisement