Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you send your child to summer camp?

Options
  • 06-06-2020 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Just wondering the general consensus around this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yes I will. He needs the activity and the social aspect. You do your best at home but there is no substitute for kids their own age.
    We have followed all the guidance to date so if the guidance says camps are ok then they can go.
    I am seeing a lot of camps with 7 as the minimum age though so I think our options are going to be limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Yes I will, they haven't seen their friends since the schools closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Same here, trying to get them on the list is going to be tough though. Like you say Pawwed Pig, they need their own age to play with, only so much we can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, absolutely if we can. It's an outdoor camp.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No idea tbh.I am getting the impression there won't be that much available for younger kids.

Edit to say, I should clarify....if they don't go here, it has nothing to do with Coronavirus, it's finding something suitable.I think they should go to them now, if I am honest, while they can be together outdoors.Could be a whole other story come the Winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Yeah I thought it was for teenagers? Up to 15 people in the group. I just assumed it was going to be sports based ones made up of people Who already attend clubs. Wasn’t keen on sending kid back to playground but it seems our local ones won’t be reopened on Monday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Depends on the camp and what systems are in place.

But yes we’re hoping to youngest out to a camp over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Yep would send my eldest who’s 7 in a heartbeat. She is desperately missing social interaction. All depends on if that age group are catered for, I am hoping they will be at some stage during the summer.

12 weeks off school already and who knows how many more to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Absolutely. Kids desperately need it.

But yesterday they announced summer camps for post primary only which is all but useless as there are very few camps amyway for post primary students. They are mainly for children up to the age of maybe 13. Hopefully they will have copped on before primary schools officially finish in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Summer Camp? Maybe, but what should be happening is the schools opening up, even if only for a dry run for September. My extended family's kids in Slovakia are back in school this month and July, then a month of in August and back as normal in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’d absolutely send my 8 yr old, but I’d say it will be hard to find something for him, if places are limited, which they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Annoyingly, the summer camps that can open in phase 2 are for *post* primary children, and I'd imagine 90% of the audience for summer camps are primary aged

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jambalaya

I have my two booked into a camp for a week in July. It usually books out quickly so I booked it ridiculously early. The vast majority of it occurs outside so I'm hoping they can tweak it and get permission to run it.

It has been a long few months for them and to have some unadulterated fun would do them the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If the Cul Camps are running, I think I'll send my 3 kids to it ok.

But ours usually has 150 kids at it, so not sure it can be accommodated.

NIMAN wrote: »
    If the Cul Camps are running, I think I'll send my 3 kids to it ok.

But ours usually has 150 kids at it, so not sure it can be accommodated.

I’d be very surprised if cúl camps were allowed to run. They’re so so packed, and ours wouldn’t have many adults at all there to supervise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

jlm29 wrote: »
    I’d be very surprised if cúl camps were allowed to run. They’re so so packed, and ours wouldn’t have many adults at all there to supervise.

They have been given the go ahead. I would say these were the ones in mind of the govt when making the decision so if anything goes ahead it will be Cul Camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    They have been given the go ahead. I would say these were the ones in mind of the govt when making the decision so if anything goes ahead it will be Cul Camp.

In was thinking that myself, once I heard summer camps mentioned.

However, did they not also specify a max of 15?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

JL555 wrote: »
    Summer Camp? Maybe, but what should be happening is the schools opening up, even if only for a dry run for September. My extended family's kids in Slovakia are back in school this month and July, then a month of in August and back as normal in September.

I think it is abundantly clear at the moment where the strong lobby groups are in this country...and it is not the childcare or education sectors, or parents groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Yes without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yes. My son is 10 so he's old enough to know how to manage his own safety, hygiene etc. He's desperate to get back into a routine and tbh so am I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

As are many/most countries. It's actually a disgrace that schools are waiting until September to open up just when a second wave is more likely than not to happen.

The government have got a lot right in so far but the impact on education and especially social development of younger kids will be looked back on as a disaster, especially if schools have to close again in the autumn and we lost all of this time in the summer.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    As are many/most countries. It's actually a disgrace that schools are waiting until September to open up just when a second wave is more likely than not to happen.

The government have got a lot right in so far but the impact on education and especially social development of younger kids will be looked back on as a disaster, especially if schools have to close again in the autumn and we lost all of this time in the summer.

Unfortunately the unions I would imagine are the ones who have the clout in not allowing it to happen, though I stand corrected. Priorities seem to all over the place.
    Interaction from my kids school in particular has been very minimal to zero, a message on the seesaw app once in a while is about all we get. We do what we can with them but we both still work. I see no evidence of teachers in our school working, but I doubt the teachers are furloughed.
    For me, this gap in education and support has been unacceptable, it surely would not have been beyond the realms of possibility to get organised on Zoom for example to schedule at least 1 hr per day on key subjects.

September proposals at present are a disaster too, particularly for primary schools.Bubbles and on/off blended learning.Right, who is going to sit home with the kids teaching them on their off-days or tuning them into Zoom classes?The parents who are meant to be back at work?Or how about the parents with several kids in school, ferrying one or 2 into school, and keeping another at home for home-schooling depending on the day???How on earth are they meant to be kept up to a sufficient level of schooling to keep up each week?

If this has highlighted anything, it is that education and childcare in this country are second-class citizens when it comes to funding and investment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Unfortunately the unions I would imagine are the ones who have the clout .
    Teachers and their unions have no “ clout” in the re-opening of schools .

We heard via parents , who heard it through the media that schools had to close . We got less than 3 hours to try and sort work out for the children , re-assure them and their parents and try to grab what we could for working remotely .

Ten weeks in , a circular was released by the DES ( late on a Friday as per usual ) to “guide” remote learning .

July Provision is to be extended according to a DES press release ( again, late on a Friday ) and once again we heard it through media channels . But we haven’t been told who will qualify , will it be school based , will there be funding for all the extra disinfecting etc.

My point being , teachers are often the last to know about anything . We had/have no say in the dates for school closure or re-opening .

Capping a summer camp at a ratio of 15:1 is going to make them commercially non-viable. You would need at least 2 adults present at all times .

Taking Cúl Camps as an example . Crèches have been told that children shouldn’t share toys , so how do you play football without touching the ball!
    Hurling / camogie wise , children would have to have their own helmet and hurley.

Bathrooms would need regular cleaning , children would need to be supervised at hand-washing. Trying to get the children to stay 2m apart in the activities would be very difficult as they would be “ on the move” far more often than at school .
    Will children need to be temperature tested each day? What happens if the weather is wet ? It’s not quite as simple as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I would say the opening of camps, even in a limited setting, is probably a litmus test for what they’ll do when reopening schools.

Teachers and their unions have no “ clout” in the re-opening of schools .

We heard via parents , who heard it through the media that schools had to close . We got less than 3 hours to try and sort work out for the children , re-assure them and their parents and try to grab what we could for working remotely .

Ten weeks in , a circular was released by the DES ( late on a Friday as per usual ) to “guide” remote learning .

July Provision is to be extended according to a DES press release ( again, late on a Friday ) and once again we heard it through media channels . But we haven’t been told who will qualify , will it be school based , will there be funding for all the extra disinfecting etc.

My point being , teachers are often the last to know about anything . We had/have no say in the dates for school closure or re-opening .

Capping a summer camp at a ratio of 15:1 is going to make them commercially non-viable. You would need at least 2 adults present at all times .

Taking Cúl Camps as an example . Crèches have been told that children shouldn’t share toys , so how do you play football without touching the ball!
    Hurling / camogie wise , children would have to have their own helmet and hurley.

Bathrooms would need regular cleaning , children would need to be supervised at hand-washing. Trying to get the children to stay 2m apart in the activities would be very difficult as they would be “ on the move” far more often than at school .
    Will children need to be temperature tested each day? What happens if the weather is wet ? It’s not quite as simple as you might think.

Of course it won't be simple, but is certainly doable, just take a look at how other countries are doing it.

It will be interesting to see how summer camps perform, but from what I gather these are only open to post primary kids.

Of course unions have influence in what happens, they have already been in touch with the dept on more than one occasion about the issue, they prefer a controlled phased re-opening which is all very well and good, but from when? The end of August? Not great really.

The opening of summer camps ahead of schools is to me, an odd plan of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Too young for summer camps but if they weren’t I’d send them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

My kids aren't in the post primary age group so for now are excluded (correct me if I'm wrong). I will see how things are in August and might consider it then, if their age groups are being catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

There's a water one ours go to go which they & I'd love them to to go to this year but have not heard if it's open or not yet (or the price of it as am sure prices will sky rocket!) Mine are primary though. I don't know of hardly any post primary kids who do summer camps - maybe special needs kids?

Education & childcare has been treated awfully & kids & parents are really anxious for next year. This week the extent of our primary school 'remote learning' is sending out an email a day to listen to mindfulness audio for 20mins & going 'virtual school tours'!!
    As my daughter said 'are they trying to make us feel worse for missing the real thing?! In fairness I think our teachers are all very keen to get back to the classroom though - none of them a fan of it (clearly!)

• Advertisement

DSN wrote: »
    Education & childcare has been treated awfully & kids & parents are really anxious for next year. This week the extent of our primary school 'remote learning' is sending out an email a day to listen to mindfulness audio for 20mins & going 'virtual school tours'!!

I think the worst thing is how inconsistent it is. We had very little for the first few weeks, but it picked up after the Easter hols, and when they were allowed on the 18th May, the teachers went in and packed up their books and we were given time slots to go in and collect them. We only do 4 days academic work per week but there’s plenty in it (but not too much, it’s a good balance) it’s corrected daily and sent back with feedback. I think it’s awful that some teachers are putting in an effort, while others are sitting at home doing little or nothing, and they all get paid the same. But obviously I know it’s like that every year (And in every profession), just more pronounced With this situation

Advertisement