Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aviation & Aircraft Photo Discussion Thread *Mod Warning Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

0005f35b-440.jpg

I know I know, Its certainly not an airplane, but if you look at it at high res here, the only man made structure I can make out is Heathrow airport, to the west of London, and thats definitely aviation related!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Zonda999 wrote: »

I know I know, Its certainly not an airplane, but if you look at it at high res here, the only man made structure I can make out is Heathrow airport, to the west of London, and thats definitely aviation related!

Shannon Airport is just about visible also! (sorry for OT) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The M7/N7 can be seen tailing off Dublin...........and by that logic, Baldonnel is visible!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Interesting omen that the Irish football squad used the exact same Bae146 G-RAJJ to fly to Italy for pre Euro2012 training, as HM the Queen arrived in Ireland on!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eigjb/5731318914/ with the Queen.

And with the Irish team! http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0527/media-3299408.html#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

lord lucan wrote: »
    My new favourite spot in the world to watch aircraft,the smoking room in BRU.:D

IMAG0225.jpg

Is that the place where the tables suck or is it now an actual room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

tricky D wrote: »
    Is that the place where the tables suck or is it now an actual room?

It's an actual room. It's located beside gate B9 next to the bar. It has a few stools and some counters and a great ventilation system. I spent a couple of hours in it and never felt like i was in a smokey room.

There's something to be said for being non-Schengen!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Posted these photos in the aircraft photos thread but no discussion allowed there. Anybody recognise this aircraft type??

IMG_04241.jpg

IMG_04271.jpg

IMG_04261.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

*Kol* wrote: »
    Posted these photos in the aircraft photos thread but no discussion allowed there. Anybody recognise this aircraft type??

IMG_04241.jpg

IMG_04271.jpg

IMG_04261.jpg

Lockheed Super Constellation I believe..

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Yes its a Lockheed L-1649 Starliner, south Africans airways I think

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    Yes its a Lockheed L-1649 Starliner, south Africans airways I think

Dont know how you spotted that but well done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Plowman,
    Just looking at the photo I would, and I am just speculating, in and around the early to mid 1970's. There are 5 737-200, I BAC 1-11, 1 Connie, 1 720\707, 1 747, 1 Viscount (quiet possibly BEA or BMA). I'm going to stick my head out even further on the block, but it seems the 737, on what is now stand 39, has a darker upper surface, as does one on the far side of Pier D, what is now stand 108 (near the ordinal terminal building) , which could be one of the first to be repainted in the newer livery introduced in 1974. Just my five cents worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Where abouts do you see a 747 ?

I can see a 4 engined jet at the rear of the photo but I would of guessed it was a 707.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I would concur with Skyknight - 1974/5 most likely, though I don't recall Viscounts parking at those B-pier gates other than on rare occasions. If I squint, the one in the photo looks to me to be in the BEA/BA transition livery, still with red wings.

The Connie would be N7777G
    6890072378_5e94420afb_n.jpg
    N7777G L-749A Constellation by Irish251, on Flickr

and the 707/s probably VP-BDF & C6-BDG, which were stored at Dublin for some years after Bahamas World failed.
    5118428053_908e49a42b_n.jpg
    Bahamas World Boeing 707-321 VP-BDF by Irish251, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'd have guessed mid 70's as well, there is no date or writing etc on the rear of the photo so I'm not certain where my father got it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

westdub wrote: »
    A few shots from RIAT...

RIAT 2013 078 by Lucan Snapper, on Flickr

RIAT 2013 399 by Lucan Snapper, on Flickr

RIAT 2013 583 by Lucan Snapper, on Flickr

RIAT 2013 411 by Lucan Snapper, on Flickr

This brought back memories....
    RIAT 2013 091 by Lucan Snapper, on Flickr

RIAT 2013 847 by Lucan Snapper, on Flickr

RIAT 2013 pt2 098 by Lucan Snapper, on Flickr

RIAT 2013 057 by Lucan Snapper, on Flickr

Did I just lose a whole year of my life, or did they have more than flying machines at RIAT 2013?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Where abouts do you see a 747 ?

I can see a 4 engined jet at the rear of the photo but I would of guessed it was a 707.

707747.jpg
    Mister Jingles,
    Sorry about the delay in the reply and for the quality(not exactly KH-12 quality).You're probably correct. I just looked at the picture closer, and there seemed to be difference in the size between the aircraft next to the Constellation, and the aircraft next to it. It is hard to tell as the aircraft in at the back of the photo is foreshortened, but still appears have a slightly thicker fuselage, and seems to be of a slightly greater height than the aircraft. Again the orientation of the aircraft relative to the camera is a slight hindrance, as is the contrast of the photo, to the establishing exact type identification. I could be and most probably am in error here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Love the random Ryanair plane in a field, it looks like they are skimping so much that they are not using run ways anymore instead just using a field they might be renting. Love it smile.gif

Its actually on the runway in Kerry, about to take off.

Also guys in regards to this picture.

yqdka.jpg?1

Note the windsock. Its taking off and landed about 40 minutes previously with a tailwind on runway 21. Is there any reason for this? literally less than 5 minutes after it landed on 21 a small piston prop landed on 03, and then every other aircraft used 03 for the day, even the Flybe dash.
    The wind stayed the same throughout the day, and wasnt different for the ATR. The only possible reason why I think it might have done this was because 21 is ILS but 03 isnt, even though it was a perfect day with 80mile visiblity +

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Its actually on the runway in Kerry, about to take off.

Also guys in regards to this picture.

yqdka.jpg?1

Note the windsock. Its taking off and landed about 40 minutes previously with a tailwind on runway 21. Is there any reason for this? literally less than 5 minutes after it landed on 21 a small piston prop landed on 03, and then every other aircraft used 03 for the day, even the Flybe dash.
    The wind stayed the same throughout the day, and wasnt different for the ATR. The only possible reason why I think it might have done this was because 21 is ILS but 03 isnt, even though it was a perfect day with 80mile visiblity +

All performances are taken as worst case, and runway 03 is obstacle limited, therefore, even with a tailwind of 10kts the load carrying capacity can be almost 1000kgs more by taking runway 21..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

What business would the US Coast Guard have out side their own boarders excluding the countries around the US e.g. Canada, Mexico ect ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

What business would the US Coast Guard have out side their own boarders excluding the countries around the US e.g. Canada, Mexico ect ?

They could have dealings with other friendly countries in relation to maritime security, e.g. SAR and drug trafficking issues. However in the case of the CASA 235s these are built in Spain and have to be ferried by air to the USA on delivery.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 174 ✭✭troposphere

USCG took part in Korea, Vietnam and Iraq war. They are still in the Persian Gulf even now.

Are these photos real??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Jaysus lads. Some amazing shots of the Aer Corps AW were to be had on top of croke patrick today. Hopefully some will show up in the coming days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A great piece on plane spotting at Myrtle Avenue, London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19045365

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Cheers for the shots on the Intrpid, robertxxx, I'm reading a book on the ship's history at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Are these photos real??

I'd say no - C130 should destroy airflow for fighterjet and it should stall. I stand to be corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Are these photos real??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Are these photos real??

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

martinsvi wrote: »
    I'd say no - C130 should destroy airflow for fighterjet and it should stall. I stand to be corrected

Corrected :o

Advertisement