Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private flights entering Ireland

Options
  • 03-07-2020 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

I know if a private flight is planned from somewhere on mainland Europe (or anywhere else in the world) to Ireland, INIS require 72 hours notice to check documents.

My first question:

Surely this rule doesn't apply to private flights arriving from England or the UK.

If so, there would be a farcical situation where a flying club would need 72 hours notice to fly from Derry to Donegal.

Second question:

What if I flew a Cessna 152 from northern France and landed on private land? What are the chances of being collared? Do ATC ensure the paper work for INIS is in order or is that any of their concern?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

You have to file a flight plan, which has nothing to do with INIS, so if you try and land at a private airstrip, by going off your flight plan, you will be noticed and you will get your collar felt. If you fly in from a foreign country, you are supposed to land at a Customs airfield or notify customs in advance and tell where you intend to land,so that they can be there to greet you. I suggest you read up on Schengen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Would you be noticed though. If you landed briefly and took off again landed at where you were scheduled to? Wasn't there some scandal in Weston a few years back with something similar happening and checks being bypassed with private aircraft?

edit:

I think this is what I'm remembering where did that time go!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/small-airports-are-plane-sailing-for-drug-smugglers-1.767831

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/small-airports-are-plane-sailing-for-drug-smugglers-1.767831

Does it still operate on a self declaration basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Stovepipe wrote: »
    You have to file a flight plan, which has nothing to do with INIS, so if you try and land at a private airstrip, by going off your flight plan, you will be noticed and you will get your collar felt. If you fly in from a foreign country, you are supposed to land at a Customs airfield or notify customs in advance and tell where you intend to land,so that they can be there to greet you. I suggest you read up on Schengen.

I know what Schengen is. Thank you.

I acknowledged that you have to arrange entry from anywhere outside the state, including the mainland.

My question was whether the rules still apply on private flights from the CTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

tnegun wrote: »

I notice Charlie Flanagan’s critical comments when he was FG justice spokesperson while they were in opposition. Would be interesting to see what if anything has changed at the end of his tenure as Minister for Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

In the case of flights to and from the UK and NI,you have to file a GAR form. Now, the local pilots near the Border who tend to fly over and back a lot are known to the police and customs on both sides and for obvious reasons, they keep a keen eye on GA traffic crossing the Border. If you fly to and from the UK mainland,you will recieve the attention of the police and HMRC from the start when they get your GAR form and if you deviate from the flight plan in any way,legal or illegal,you will get their undivided attention. The CTA is not really relevant in this case. You also mentioned France in your first post. You try and pull a fast one in any way, either going to or from France,in any direction, and you will have the Gendarmerie on your case, as they patrol their borders by air and they will take action against you. I know this from experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Question: If you're flying from say Weston to Donegal, which requires a long treck over Scottish airspace, do you need to file a GAR or only the flightplan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Question: If you're flying from say Weston to Donegal, which requires a long treck over Scottish airspace, do you need to file a GAR or only the flightplan?

FPL only. You have no intention of landing on NI soil. If you divert to Eniskillen en route re a tech issue, as long as the PSNI are informed of your arrival. I find the GAR stuff a pain tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sinzo

Stovepipe wrote: »
    In the case of flights to and from the UK and NI,you have to file a GAR form. Now, the local pilots near the Border who tend to fly over and back a lot are known to the police and customs on both sides and for obvious reasons, they keep a keen eye on GA traffic crossing the Border. If you fly to and from the UK mainland,you will recieve the attention of the police and HMRC from the start when they get your GAR form and if you deviate from the flight plan in any way,legal or illegal,you will get their undivided attention. The CTA is not really relevant in this case. You also mentioned France in your first post. You try and pull a fast one in any way, either going to or from France,in any direction, and you will have the Gendarmerie on your case, as they patrol their borders by air and they will take action against you. I know this from experience.

What is a GAR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Just the flight plan is needed. Years ago I used to do survey work and we'd often fly through the Scottish FIR. On occasion it was a verbal flight plan once we were in the air and Shannon ATC would co-ordinated for us.

Sinzo wrote: »
    What is a GAR?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/general-aviation-operators-and-pilots-notification-of-flights

Advertisement