Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Killarney" airport - 1927

Options
  • 22-04-2020 9:56pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing ongoing research for something else that lead me to TUDs archives of "Irish Travel", the journal of the predecessor of Bord Failte.

In some 1927/8 issues they discuss air services and reference flight times from Killarney to London and efforts to secure an airline for this route. Dublin and Cork also get a vague mention.

Searching just gets polluted by the modern day KIR/Farranfore as its so close to Killarney - it opened in the 60s; though it could have been on the site of something earlier I guess.

Anyone with pre-internet knowledge of what there might have been at Killarney to suffice for 1920s grade aircraft?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Wow , that's interesting , I have pretty strong connections to Killarney and my father in-law was always interested in local history ( esp the railways ) but I knew nothing of that.

Ill watch this thread with great interest

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

did you check the geohive maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

I've never heard about an air service but I seem to remember old OS maps had the symbol for an unlicensed(?) airfield located in Killarney racecourse.
    An old friend of mine now deceased told me about air displays held in the field in front of Killarney House in the 50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

durandal01 wrote: »
    I've never heard about an air service but I seem to remember old OS maps had the symbol for an unlicensed(?) airfield located in Killarney racecourse.
    An old friend of mine now deceased told me about air displays held in the field in front of Killarney House in the 50's.

Yes, I recall speaking to some local’s many years ago and Killarney Race Course, been mentioned as a predecessor to Farranfore.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

on a side note! Friend of mine flew from to Farrnfore before with Aer Arran back in 2006 and Killarney was the destination on the ticket stub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Possibly a flying boat type service a la Foynes?

donvito99 wrote: »
    Possibly a flying boat type service a la Foynes?

No, definitely from the Racecourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

There was airplanes from the Royal Airforce landing near Kenmare also circa 1916.

theguzman wrote: »
    There was airplanes from the Royal Airforce landing near Kenmare also circa 1916.

The RFC deployed a number of aircraft in 1916. They also used aircraft to act in a reconnaissance role. As they were aware of Roger Casement’s plans to land arms.

Advertisement