Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Narrowest second stage car seat?

Options
  • 17-06-2020 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

I have googled but a lot of American suggestions.

Due baby no.3 in Nov. Oldest is in a high back booster, second is in an isofix maxicosi that can spun round towards the door and it is causing problems.

Car has flat back seat and three isofix points but space in middle is limited because of the width of the maxicosi. We'd like a slim second stage seat. ( she's only a little fart of a thing so is a long way off being ready for booster seat)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Diono radian 5 is very narrow.

You can get it in Mumnme.

https://mumnme.ie/diono-radian-5-black-mist/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Ooh expensive as well as narrow! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I did the same research last year and got a Britax in Boots. It sits in the middle and big kids either side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

heldel00 wrote: »
    Ooh expensive as well as narrow! Thank you

When we were young we used to pile into the back of a Ford Fiesta van with no seats that cost around a third of the price of that car seat.
    How times have changed.
    The car I have now will only hold 2 seats on the back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you are on facebook, try joining in this group, as they are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to car seats.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

I actually don’t think it’s that bad. It’s cheaper than changing the car. And the option to rear face to 25kg is great. Also five point strap is a great feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Britax two way elite is narrow.
    I have two of the old harness ones that go up to 25kg ff with harness.
    The new ones go to 25kg rearward and 18kg ff with harness.

I did look at the radian at the time but I found it far too confusing to put together.

fits wrote: »
    I actually don’t think it’s that bad. It’s cheaper than changing the car. And the option to rear face to 25kg is great. Also five point strap is a great feature.

No i suppose it's not. It's just that between our two cars, the granny's car and a very expensive one that the harness belt mechanism snapped on, i feel like I've spent a friggin fortune on car seats!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Probably because you have....last count, we owned 11 of the flipping things.Not booster cushions, by the way, that's 11 proper seats.And 1 booster cushion, that is never used.

We have 3 in a Ford SMax, so 3 isofix seats in back- second and first were in Brittax Romers when no.3 came.His Maxicosi rear facing was beside a door, with the other 2 in the middle and other side.He is now in a Maxicosi Axxis (the rotating one) in the middle, no.2 is still in the Brittax Romer (She is just 4) and no.1 is in a Joie Trillo highback booster, one on each side.

The Diono Radian did seem to be the narrowest out there when we were doing our research.Alternatively, if could you jiggle them about a bit, Brittax do a fairly narrow high-back booster called the Brittax Adventure-if you could wrangle it so maybe that is in the middle, and the other 2 are on either side, it could be a cheaper alternative.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Probably because you have....last count, we owned 11 of the flipping things.Not booster cushions, by the way, that's 11 proper seats.And 1 booster cushion, that is never used.

We have 3 in a Ford SMax, so 3 isofix seats in back- second and first were in Brittax Romers when no.3 came.His Maxicosi rear facing was beside a door, with the other 2 in the middle and other side.He is now in a Maxicosi Axxis (the rotating one) in the middle, no.2 is still in the Brittax Romer (She is just 4) and no.1 is in a Joie Trillo highback booster, one on each side.

The Diono Radian did seem to be the narrowest out there when we were doing our research.Alternatively, if could you jiggle them about a bit, Brittax do a fairly narrow high-back booster called the Brittax Adventure-if you could wrangle it so maybe that is in the middle for the eldest, and the other 2 are on either side, it could be a cheaper alternative??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

andreac wrote: »
    If you are on facebook, try joining in this group, as they are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to car seats.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172/

Totally agree. Give them your children’s height and weight and car make and they’ll suggest the best (rearfacing) seats that will fit if it’s possible. They also consult the check it fits team at the RSA if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

+1 on rear facing group the others suggested, they are excellent. Height and weight and they’ll plot her centiles and advise on that. That’s what I did when #3 arrived.

I have an SMax which has 3 full seats in the second row. My husband has a Sante Fe which is classed as a 7 seater but technically 6.5 as the middle row only has 2.5 seats.

We have 19mth old and 4 yr old in Joie Ispins , which rear face to 19KG. Mine are slow growers, 4 yr old has just hit 14KG so she’ll get another yr or so. 7 yr old went into the Britax romer hbb. All fine in the SMax. In the Sante Fe 7 yr old goes into the boot seat in the HBB and we use half the boot and always always have the roof box on the go 😂

shesty wrote: »

The Diono Radian did seem to be the narrowest out there when we were doing our research.Alternatively, if could you jiggle them about a bit, Brittax do a fairly narrow high-back booster called the Brittax Adventure-if you could wrangle it so maybe that is in the middle, and the other 2 are on either side, it could be a cheaper alternative.

And the job we had to get rid of the broken maxicosi. It weighed a ton. I tripped across the flipping yoke for three months until eventually it made it's way into a relative's skip.

Now maybe I'm being a dope but Diono Radian measures 45cm wide and the MaxiCosi Axissfix we have is measuring the same at the widest part (the "shoulders" of the seat). Am i doing it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

bee06 wrote: »
    Totally agree. Give them your children’s height and weight and car make and they’ll suggest the best (rearfacing) seats that will fit if it’s possible. They also consult the check it fits team at the RSA if needed.

Also they have files with a list of different cars and photos of the combinations of seats which fit.

Advertisement