Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Hi guys..joining in..another Xmas fan!
    You know the tinsel/shine garlands that everyone used to hang from the ceiling? Well it took us years to get my mother to get rid of them. Tacky we said..
    Forward about 10 years and my brother is coming from Oz. What is his request? To make sure we have the tacky tinsel/shiney garlands hanging from the ceiling!!! He reckons it won't be Xmas at home without them:D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Loughc wrote: »
    Same!!! I don’t even have floors at the moment so the tree going up is bottom of the list. Well so Mrs. loughc keeps telling me :D
    Our OH's be so silly :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »
    Lough you got someone to do the floors? If not my cousin runs his own company doing them I can send you his number?

Ah thanks we have someone booked in for the floors though. You wouldn’t have another cousin who’s a tiler? Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Loughc wrote: »
    Ah thanks we have someone booked in for the floors though. You wouldn’t have another cousin who’s a tiler? Haha

I actually know a very good tiler. Not sure where you're based though? He's Dublin/Meath based.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,837 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

jluv wrote: »
    You know the tinsel/shine garlands that everyone used to hang from the ceiling? Well it took us years to get my mother to get rid of them. Tacky we said..
    Forward about 10 years and my brother is coming from Oz. What is his request? To make sure we have the tacky tinsel/shiney garlands hanging from the ceiling!!! He reckons it won't be Xmas at home without them:D

Love it jluv , nostalgia and happy memories at it's finest !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jluv wrote: »

Welcome!! :)

I love the old school ceiling decorations. Wouldn’t get away with them in my house. But I would love to see them up again.

jellybear wrote: »
    I actually know a very good tiler. Not sure where you're based though? He's Dublin/Meath based.

PM me their details if you wouldn’t mind :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Said to the kids that we should write the letters tomorrow. They nodded in agreement. Half pint wants just match attax. Holy moley, we had such high hopes. He used to be so open with his choices, now it's all the same thing. And number 2 wants LOL's, some other smelly yokes, and a surprise.

Won't break the bank anyway!

Not liking that anti Christmas spirit over in after hours! ;):D

Actually I used to feel a bit like some of the posters.

When I was a kid I would make my own countdown calendar at the beginning of November and stick it to my bedside locker so it was the first thing I'd see in the morning and head off to school with a skip in my step.

But I worked in retail during college and the relentless Christmas songs, the angry shoppers, stacking shelf upon shelf of Christmas decorations before Halloween had even come and gone started to wear me down. Every year I'd get that inner thrill when I saw the first box of baubles and they played the first song but by Christmas itself I'd be sick of it all. Working all day Xmas Eve and in again St Stephens.

Ever since then, I've always made myself hold off to December to get excited. But a trend has developed. No sooner would I be excited then I'd be stressed! Theres not enough time!!! I have a big immediate family and loads of nieces, nephews and friends kids that I love to buy for. I decorate my house and my mum's house. I have to go to the other end of the county to visit extended family in the run up. 24 days isn't enough!

So this year I'm one of you. I'm watching Christmas movies, I'm listening to Christmas songs, I've even taste tested my mum's pudding and I've had some Christmas cake. I don't care if it's only November. I'm enjoying Christmas right now!! I've most of my gifts planned and a couple bought! Its great. You elves have been on to something all this time!

I have always loved Christmas day. And this year will be no different, except hopefully, for once, I won't be stressed to my eyeballs in the run up to it.

Tldr : enjoying Christmas early is the secret to a stress free holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

We went on an adventure in to the mountains hereon Friday, usually we would throw on the Christmas tunes but we weren't feeling it, too soon we felt.

Anyway we did a shop and I bought three outdoors light up signs (pics to follow) and a singing Reindeer which our 30kg dog is terrified of. I went to the butchers to pick up some BBQ stuff and the staff (all Filipino) were having a great laugh, the had put on Christmas tunes in the store two weeks before they were meant to. I told them to fight the system and keep them on of course.

I think a few of us did (or still do) retail in our college years and had the same dip. I think Im not feeling it as much this year as Ive a new job, will be abroad for Christmas and have a little one arriving in January so I am planning for that.

Took me three hours to put together an ikea crib yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I actually had the opposite feeling about working in retail at Christmas. I worked in a music shop for 5 years and I loved each Christmas even more. I loved the buzz of it, how busy it was, the music, the crowds, everything! Well actually not everything, I would have preferred a couple of extra days off between Christmas and New Years, but that was it!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Right lads ive been fighting it for a few weeks now but I cant fight it anymore.. The tree is going up! I have a week off work this week before xmas and I want to be able to enjoy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Seems like a good use of time, sure when will you next get the chance. Get the tree up and get a pic on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Morning Elves wow Ciara great way to start your time off can't wait to see the Pic's
    I'm just back from a nice walk having some brekkie and a cuppa watching Christmas songs on Magic music :)

LoughC you have to check out Dunnes Stores in Blanchardstown shopping centre for the new house

See pics below they had so much nice stuff
    If you need any personal Christmas decorations shopping you know where I am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

otnomart wrote: »
    About to have first cup of a Christmas tea blend, it is a roiboos with cinnamon, apple and lots of spices. Hope it tastes as good as it smells !
    Well, it was just OK. I much prefer my usual berry and apple mixes.
    Smell is lovely though, they should re-badge it as potpourri !
    Enjoy your Sunday, Elves !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

otnomart wrote: »
    Well, it was just OK. I much prefer my usual berry and apple mixes.
    Smell is lovely though, they should re-badge it as potpourri !
    Enjoy your Sunday, Elves !

Now, that's an idea! Put some in your radiator humidifiers and voilà, instant Christmas!

I wonder how it'd work as "spices" for mulled wine...

jellybear wrote: »
    I also got these in The Range while I was there :)

The figurines were €16.50, which I thought was great value as they're quite big!
    The gel window stickers were €3 per packet.

Damn you jellybear!!! I couldn't stop thinking about these so I went to maynooth this AM. Got plenty of new decorations and got the Santa one but they had no snowman so I'll just have to go back :D husband had no objection either so happy days!! :D

Oh wow ChewChew post pics of your purchases please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

ChewChew wrote: »
    Damn you jellybear!!! I couldn't stop thinking about these so I went to maynooth this AM. Got plenty of new decorations and got the Santa one but they had no snowman so I'll just have to go back :D husband had no objection either so happy days!! :D

Awh sorry!!!:D I actually got them in the Liffey Valley one, hopefully they get them back in Maynooth :)

• Advertisement

Gorgeous stuff coming into Aldi this Thursday

My mam has just informed me that she wants the light up presents for under her tree

I love the LED canvas I might pick one up
    Also love the Christmas silhouette light up boxes, I don't know where I will put one but it will probably end up in the shopping trolley

https://www.aldi.ie/c/specialbuys/dates/2018-11-15?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AEvent%3ALights+and+Decorations&page=5

• Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't know how I did it but I spent nearly an hourly in Lidl Yesterday looking at stuff. I was trying to kill time tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I was in Woodies this afternoon and they have a huge amount of Christmas decorations, and they looked to be putting out more at the time too

SarahLil wrote: »
    Oh wow ChewChew post pics of your purchases please :)

This is my lot. Could have got an awful lot more!!

I love your little owl!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And the little robin, too! :) Those two are my favourites.

Gorgeous ChewChew

Thanks all :) delighted with them. I can't wait to get started:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I love the owl and the little bird, so cute !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Not liking that anti Christmas spirit over in after hours! ;):D

Actually I used to feel a bit like some of the posters.

When I was a kid I would make my own countdown calendar at the beginning of November and stick it to my bedside locker so it was the first thing I'd see in the morning and head off to school with a skip in my step.

But I worked in retail during college and the relentless Christmas songs, the angry shoppers, stacking shelf upon shelf of Christmas decorations before Halloween had even come and gone started to wear me down. Every year I'd get that inner thrill when I saw the first box of baubles and they played the first song but by Christmas itself I'd be sick of it all. Working all day Xmas Eve and in again St Stephens.

Ever since then, I've always made myself hold off to December to get excited. But a trend has developed. No sooner would I be excited then I'd be stressed! Theres not enough time!!! I have a big immediate family and loads of nieces, nephews and friends kids that I love to buy for. I decorate my house and my mum's house. I have to go to the other end of the county to visit extended family in the run up. 24 days isn't enough!

So this year I'm one of you. I'm watching Christmas movies, I'm listening to Christmas songs, I've even taste tested my mum's pudding and I've had some Christmas cake. I don't care if it's only November. I'm enjoying Christmas right now!! I've most of my gifts planned and a couple bought! Its great. You elves have been on to something all this time!

I have always loved Christmas day. And this year will be no different, except hopefully, for once, I won't be stressed to my eyeballs in the run up to it.

Tldr : enjoying Christmas early is the secret to a stress free holiday.

You're very welcome here!
    I was the same - absolutely adored Christmas when I was kid and then until my college years when I became all cynical. I was like that until i met my wife and started to rekindle my love for this time of year. Now I have two kids and I'm really just the third kid in the house for the next month!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement