Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Job Prospects for a Diploma in Adult Psychology from Kilroys College, Dublin

Options
  • 15-01-2010 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Someone I know want to back to school. She wants a qualification that will allow her to get a decent job. She also wants something that she can use to get work overseas in case she ends up living abroad. Shes thinking about doing the Psychology diploma course with Kilroys College. Please advise as to what kind of work she can get armed with this diploma. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭steve_oh

Sorry this really belongs in the education section. I have moved it to education -> mature students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

Psychology Diploma = Nada.
    " Degree = Meh
    " Postgrad qualification = career.

In short it's useless in the field of psychology, but handy for care assistance etc work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

As above, but it may be of use as a added qualification or as a starting out point to gain acess to certain other courses that would allow her work in a therapeutic area, for example at the moment, it would be easier to study further and become a counsellor, there are longer training lenghts for a psychotherapist, I think that lads here would be talking about 7 years or maybe longer to become a clinical/counselling psychologist; she wanted to work in a therapy situation/

It depends out way type of work she would like to do, but to work in a job with the title "somethig psycholoist" .ie educational, sports, clinical she needs a degree and a post-grad qualification.

On the basis of that course it will not qualify her as a psychologist, or either of the above. Even a degree in psychology is not qualification in terms of either, in that it does entitled the person to work as anytype of psychologist. I hope the college are telling her that. Following the degree people than go on to study in a area of thir choice. I can'y really tell you much more, as I'm a psychotherapist not a psychologist.

There is a thead nere entitled "Are there any psychology jobs" if you haven't read it yet it will give you more info about psychology qualifications.

Advertisement