Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here studying Evolutionary Psychology?

Options
  • 04-01-2010 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

There are very few places in Europe (and everywhere else actually) to study an MSc in Evolutionary Psychology (or "evo psych").

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Yeah it's a pity it's not done here. I considered doing a MSc in Liverpool in it many a year ago. If you wanted to do a research postgrad in it I'm sure Howard Smith in TCD would be amenable. I loved his undergrad course in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

im still doing my undergrad but i find the evo psych parts very interesting.
    Just out of interest, if there was a post grad course in it what kind of job could you get out of it at the end?? (sorry if this is a dumb question:o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

hotspur wrote: »
    Yeah it's a pity it's not done here. I considered doing a MSc in Liverpool in it many a year ago. If you wanted to do a research postgrad in it I'm sure Howard Smith in TCD would be amenable. I loved his undergrad course in the area.

Doing that course this semester, can't wait.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

You may have seen this already but to whet your appetite this exchange between Stephen J. Gould and Steven Pinker et al is a good insight into arguments for and against evolutionary psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

You're doing the course in Liverpool, or a research postgrad in TCD?
    Edit: Assuming you mean Liverpool, are you doing a bachelor's or masters, and if masters, what degree do you have and is it GBC accredited by the BPS?
    Myksyk wrote: »
    You may have seen this already but to whet your appetite this exchange between Stephen J. Gould and Steven Pinker et al is a good insight into arguments for and against evolutionary psychology.

As usual, Gould's opposition to evolutionary psychology is shot through with political motivation and blinkered ideology. Very few scientists take his - or Rose, or Lewontin, or Kamin's - "criticisms" of evolutionary psychology or biology seriously. The weight of evidence against him is far too heavy. You'll only find Gould et al supported in humanities departments, fearful of the encroachments of empirical sciences onto their fluffy turf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

You're doing the course in Liverpool, or a research postgrad in TCD?
    Edit: Assuming you mean Liverpool, are you doing a bachelor's or masters, and if masters, what degree do you have and is it GBC accredited by the BPS?

As usual, Gould's opposition to evolutionary psychology is shot through with political motivation and blinkered ideology. Very few scientists take his - or Rose, or Lewontin, or Kamin's - "criticisms" of evolutionary psychology or biology seriously. The weight of evidence against him is far too heavy. You'll only find Gould et al supported in humanities departments, fearful of the encroachments of empirical sciences onto their fluffy turf.

I meant that I'm just doing the undergraduate module he teaches. Sorry about that!

Advertisement