Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fear of Needles.

• 05-10-2009 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Ive a crazy fear of needles.
    It basically has taken over alot of my life
    I have no piercings or tattoos because of this fear and it drives me insane Id love to have my ears pierced.When I see little kids with ear rings its really annoying,I beat myself up over it.
    I avoid getting blood taken and when I need to get a jab I pretty much need to be held down (its so embarrassing!:()
    AND NO its not what your thinking I couldnt care less about the pain because I know it doesnt hurt,its the needle.
    I did have a bad hospital experience when I was a kid and I think it has led to this fear.
    Any advice on what to do, I cant really avoid getting a needle forever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I used to be like this, couldnt even look at a shot of a needle in a movie or on the news or something,I'd get this nauseous feeling in my stomach, even being in a doctors office if I saw a syringe on his desk or in a case of medical supplies I wouldnt be able to look at it, one day I needed to get a blood test and the thought of it actually kept me awake for the nights leading up to it, but when it came to it I explained to the nurse I was scared of need'es and she just told me to look away and keep talking to keep my mind off it, the test was over in seconds and I didnt feel a thing, afterwards she showed me a syringe and let me hold one , have had several bloodtests since and flu jabs and whatnot and its never bothered me since, its the irrational fear of something so tiny that you imagine is either going to hurt or make you feel sick thats what got me, i could look at the goriest horror movies but a tiny needle would freak me out, face your fear and go get a blood test for cholesterol or something, itll work wonders :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 HH Chick

God im the same!!!! Its such a bad fear over something soo small, And like that i know they dont really hurt its just i nearly go into palpations with the taught of someone putting a needle in me.....

Im 28ys of age and still ask for the baby jel to be put on the spot where they'r taking blood to numb that area, the Drs look at me like im insane... and usually afterwards i even get sick or pass out....

The thing is id love to start a family with my hubby but the taught of having all the bloods done never mind anything else has me scared senseless...

Dont know what to do..:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭__plec__

Have always been scared of needles,like you if a syringe is shown on tv i turn the channel.

However,back a few years ago i was feeling quite sick,after 2 weeks of putting off going to the doctors i finally succombed,knew it was something a little serious.The doctor examined me,didnt say anything other than 'get to the hospital quick'.After some test in there i was finally told what it was...DIABETIES....My nightmare...now have to inject myself at least 5 times a day,its not too bad,have no problems with it.As i think you are all aware its in the mind,has really nothing to do with the needle itself.kinda funny when i think about it.

Still turn the channel though if a needle comes on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Sorry to hear of your problems, I used to be the same myself. I may as well have been in line to get stabbed:rolleyes: it was the thought of sharp metal breaking my skin etc, im sure you all know the mind-set. Hospitals and dentist were a nightmare.

Anyway to make a long story boring:rolleyes: I worked abroad and had to get loads of vaccines and blood tests (none hurt very much but the build up and the waiting were always terrible:o ). I kind of got used to it (14-15 vaccinations can do that)
    Then my baby was sick and needed loads of injections, drips, bloods etc done for a few years and it made me realise how foolish I was being and how I needed to be strong for my child.
    Ive had a few surgeries myself now and I have to say needles no longer bother me (I have yet to meet someone who actually likes them though;) )

This irrational fear of needles is an exaggerated response by your body in anticipation of something you imagine will be alot worse than it actually is.

Its not easy but try to remember the feelings you had after your last injection.
    The feelings and thoughts are normally " jaysus that wasn't too bad" and "what the hell was i so worried about" and you may even feel a little embarassed at having been so afraid in the first place.

Try not think about the injection until the last minute if at all, or have a conversation with whoever is administering it to keep you distracted.
    Best of luck

Advertisement