Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pirates of the carribean

• 09-08-2003 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭

just wondering what ppl thought of it. saw the preveiw the other night and really enjoyed it. thought johnny depps character was brilliant. probably not everyones cup of tea though.
    went into to it not really expecting much and for the second time (1st was T3) i was hugely entertained.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

got 5 stars in empire...looks good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

going to it tonight if it is out let ya know later if any good ;):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

The best movie I've seen all summer.

I'm not a big fan of Johnny Depp, in fact I hate him in movies, but boy this was impressive. He played he's character exceptionally well.

Thumbs up on this one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Saw it today Now i was expecting a obvious SFX ride from start to finish fighting the cursed pirates (not a spoiler, your told in the trailer) But
    from the offset the film threw a good few twists and surprises into the story such as what johnny depps character was up to and his link to the pirates. The ending was in a sense unexpected with sparrow becoming cursed himself then freed again. But it was a nice way to end the film.
    Overall i really enjoyed it my ownly niggle was the CGI looked rushed at parts yet the rest of the film visually (costumes, and sets) were impressive. Def one of the better blockbusters of the year.
    How long exactly were they cursed i thought they said 10 years yet I also thought Sparrow said he lost his ship 3 years before the events??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Arr, thought it was very good, savvy?

I really loved the underwater scenes with the ghost pirates and Johnny Depp's weird mannerisms made Sparrow a memorable character - the kind you could dress up as at Hallowe'en parties.

Go see it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent movie! The best I've seen this summer, along with T3. Great fun and Depp is on fire - total scene stealer. I wanted to walk home, emulating Sparrow's mannerisms. Class stuff.

Also did anyone else stay until the end of the credits? I was the only one who did and was justly rewarded with an extra scene :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

oooo gawan tell us wha we missed :( i had to run out cause i was late for an important engagment but i might go again to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Someone had told me something about an extra scene, but the poxy Savoy turned the lights up before the credits ended so I assumed this was untrue... bah! Is it worth hanging around for, as I'll probably be seeing this one again with a few friends next week...?

Loved the movie - it has plot holes which you could drive a jumbo jet through, but Depp is utterly fantastic, Rush is having the time of his life hamming it up, and the whole thing had me laughing throughout and leaving the cinema with a big grin on my face. I was entertained, vastly so, and thats what I'd paid my money for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭nuvolari

saw it today, and i havn't enjoyed a new film as much in ages. its the kind of film you just laughed your way through, and johnny depp played it perfectly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I liked it much more than I thought I would have.
    Indeed Depp was brilliant, very camp, very flamouyant, very stylish.

And Rush can definetly camp it up with the best of them, I mean, House On Haunted Hill, Mystery Men. A class act, but I do feel that he sometimes sells himself short at times. He's a brilliant actor.

Fun film altogether, similar in style to The Mummy/Mummy Returns, and what like.
    But very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I definitely rate this movie. It's basically a good swashbuckling adventure :p

Good fun, go see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

another reason why i think jonny depp is a brilliant and versatile actor.
    it was a super funtastic film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Very enjoyable. Won't end up in my top 10 list best-films-ever but it's a cool film.

Great performance by Depp, and some more eye-candy for us lasses too (Orlando Bloom).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Loved it.
    I remember a few months ago, I got royally dissed for saying "I'm really looking forward to the Pirates of the Caribbean movie".
    I feel completely vanquished now.

Interesting side-note.. I read an interview with Johnny Depp where he said he based his character on Keith Richards. Which would explain the flamboyance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

I fupping loved this movie. Johnny Depp, as always was class. Am I correct in saying this was Depp's first blockbuster?
    Now I really can't wait for Once Upon A Time In Mexico. Where I hear Depp plays the main character brilliantly.
    I think I'll go again this week......which says a lot really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by ObeyGiant

Interesting side-note.. I read an interview with Johnny Depp where he said he based his character on Keith Richards. Which would explain the flamboyance.

thats it!
    when i was watching him, i thought he sounded like a half drunken englishman, but i couldnt put my finger on it!
    thats a perfect description.
    i thought it was fantastic!

Originally posted by BlitzKrieg
    oooo gawan tell us wha we missed :( i had to run out cause i was late for an important engagment but i might go again to it...

Heh - noone saw it then :) Here's what happened:
    The Evil Monkey is seen swimming around in the cave. He goes up onto the land and to the treasure chest. He picks up a gold coin and examines it. As soon as he does, a beam of moonlight shines on him and you can see he's now an Undead Evil Monkey (much the way Sparrow only became Undead once he stole a coin). He then hisses (evilly!) and launches himself at the camera. And we fade to black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Depp's sparrow was quite like his character in fear and loathing in las vegas I thought. The drug addled journalist worked rather well as a slightly insane pirate :)

i liked it anyway, nice fluffy fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

But you're only cursed if
    you remove more than one coin from the chest

Definitely the best movie this summer for pure entertainment value.

The dodgy cgi bits reminded me of the Deadites in Army of Darkness - springs hope of a fourth Evil Dead movie. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Great film :) ...long time since I've seen such a good and entertaining swash buckle affair... and Depp was brilliant - great actor as always (the Kieth Richards inspiration seems obvious now :D )

..thought the CGI was grand myself.. it's total fantasy anyway, so I didn't feel it had to look totally realistic. They used it well, and the bits where they were rolling in and out of moonlight were very well done I though (couldn't have been too easy).

On a side note.. Keira Knightley - phwar! ..a friend of mine's dad is doing costume design for the upcoming King Arthur movie, in which Miss Knightley plays Guinevere... his task includes taking the lovely ladies mesurments... tough job, but somebody's got to do it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

all i can say is.... PHWOARRRR!!!!!!!! i didn't know where to look - in the red corner you have johnny depp (never has a man looked so good in eyeliner!) and in the blue corner you have the simply beautiful orlando bloom - it's just a good old fashioned swashbuckler, with a bit of eye candy for everyone- even i thought keira knightley was hot!

oh, but the only tiny problem i had was the use of langauge - there were some serious stinkers in there, like the young elizabeth saying to will that he'd be "okay" WTF!!!??? there's some others that i noticed at the time but can't remember...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,852 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Probably the best action film this summer, better than T3. Johnny Depp was fantastic.

My rating: Extremely 'Aaaarrr!'

Originally posted by Bannor
    But you're only cursed if

you remove more than one coin from the chest

I don't recall that. I thought that
    you were cursed if you took any treasure. The movie seems to support this. Jack wasn't cursed until he stole one coin at the end. It's how EvilMonkey became cursed. There's a couple of threads on rec.arts.movies.current-films about it. Not that the plot should be complicated enough to merit such threads....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Originally posted by beardedchicken
    oh, but the only tiny problem i had was the use of langauge - there were some serious stinkers in there, like the young elizabeth saying to will that he'd be "okay" WTF!!!??? there's some others that i noticed at the time but can't remember...

It was a comedy/action movie not a serious period drama!!! "Takes ones mittens of one. If nah you shall be smotten". :)

Originally posted by ixoy
    I don't recall that. I thought that
    you were cursed if you took any treasure. The movie seems to support this. Jack wasn't cursed until he stole one coin at the end. It's how EvilMonkey became cursed. There's a couple of threads on rec.arts.movies.current-films about it. Not that the plot should be complicated enough to merit such threads....
    I'm going to go see it again but I'm pretty sure that Barbossa said
    if you removed more than one coin from the chest you were cursed

My understanding of the cavern scene is
    Jack took 3/4 so he became cursed and immortal like the rest of the crew, he returned all but one so that when the time came it would be he who would undo the curse and kill Barbosa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

Originally posted by anthonymcg
    It was a comedy/action movie not a serious period drama!!! "

i know, i know!! i said that it was only a tiny tiny problem - it just stuck in my mind that she'd said ok, because it stood out so much in the context of the scene!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Okay is quite an old word though isn't?
    Although not that old.

One joke I felt was woeful, which I wished they had left out.
    'You dont know pain until you've tried a courest'

Like come on, I could have done better then that.

Spoiler:Also, Im pretty certain you only had to take one, the reason Sparrow picked up nmore then one was so he could conceal the one he did take

OK - first attested 1839, only survivor of a slang fad in Boston and New York c.1838-9 for abbreviations of common phrases with deliberate, jocular misspellings (cf. K.G. for "no go," as if spelled "know go"); in this case, "oll korrect." Further popularized by use as an election slogan by the O.K. Club, New York boosters of Democratic president Martin Van Buren's 1840 re-election bid, in allusion to his nickname Old Kinderhook, from his birth in the N.Y. village of Kinderhook. Van Buren lost, the word stuck. The noun is first attested 1841; the verb 1888. Spelled out as okeh, 1919, by Woodrow Wilson, supposedly on model of a Cherokee word; but this was ousted quickly by okay after the appearance of that form in 1929. Okey-doke is student slang first attested 1932.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

Spoiler: a single coin removed ...

Anyone know the significance of the apples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭MrBigglesworth

Great movie, Depp is fantastic: reminds me of a drugged up Tommy Cooper at times.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sean101

****in brilliant film, Sparrows entrance in the harbour was definately the best in cinema history.

The apple significance was barbossas first order of business once he became mortal again: eat a bushel of apples. Unfortunately for him, he got kiddled. hope that wasnt a spoiler. oh well.

What Gore was trying to do wit the apple senario was prove that wanting to eat that apple would proove fatal. Remember the scene with the foxy miss knightly and mr rush eating on the black pearl? She didnt want the apple cos she thought it was poisoned and would kill her. Unlike her, Barbossa ate the proverbial apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

On a side note.. Keira Knightley - phwar! ..a friend of mine's dad is doing costume design for the upcoming King Arthur movie, in which Miss Knightley plays Guinevere... his task includes taking the lovely ladies mesurments... tough job, but somebody's got to do it

Actually... no she is lovely in the movie but not in person. She is even skinnier in person and has no tits.. i repeat none what so ever!! I have seen 6 year olds with bigger tits.. hell I think i have bigger tits :D
    Lovely eyes though... she is way too superior minded too. I was rehersing with her and when she looked at me i looked away, not in a shy way but with a so what way//. she walked over, stood in front of me and turned her back.. i laughed and thought it funny. She did not like the fact i did not fancy her. This was on the king Arthur set by the way.

Anyway back on topic.. the movie is great fun.. i enjoyed it a lot.
    Anyone know the significance of the apples?
    Eh did you go to the toilet during the movie? He liked apples but could not eat them since he was dead, very simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great movie, good fun, but about 20 or 30 mins too long. It dragged in places.....

- Dave.

Originally posted by Sean101
    What Gore was trying to do wit the apple senario was prove that wanting to eat that apple would proove fatal. Remember the scene with the foxy miss knightly and mr rush eating on the black pearl? She didnt want the apple cos she thought it was poisoned and would kill her. Unlike her, Barbossa ate the proverbial apple.
    I admire any attempt to find deeper meanings in films on this board. I really do. It makes a real change from the hordes of "I blame the director, he should have made that a lot clearer" crybabies.

Unfortunately, this film isn't really open to that kind of interpretation. The apples were just there because Barbossa really, really wanted an apple.

Remember - the only person who actually ate an apple in the movie was Jack Sparrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

Originally posted by ObeyGiant

Unfortunately, this film isn't really open to that kind of interpretation. The apples were just there because Barbossa really, really wanted an apple.

Thats what I was thinking but then I thought there must be more to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Didn't like this movie, but Keira Knightley = teh win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Goodshape
    On a side note.. Keira Knightley - phwar!
    Yeah, I felt pervy watching Bend it like beckham and thinking that, to be honest. I'm a bum and leg type so Saruman's observation on lack of boobies doesn't really bother me tbh. I suppose the girl is but one day over ten years younger than me so it's not so bad really.

Oh yeah, comment on the movie. Quite good, I thought. It's been another slightly dead year for watchable movies and this is an exception. Plot holes big enough that you could steer a schooner through them but who cares. I want to go to Disneyland and try the ride the movie's based on now. Depp's performance was quite good (spotted the Keef similarity myself after a few minutes), Rush was excellent (but the guy /always/ is) and Jonathan Pryce was perfectly competent abeit uninspiring (which seems to be his problem on screen as opposed to his stage work).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sean101

ObeyGiant, i respect your opinion on the apple senario, but like most themes, its open to a wide variety of explainations. I stick by mine, and i respect yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Brillant film, best film of the summer in my opinion. Reminded me of the game Monkey Island... the whole undead pirates and island no one can find.

Brillant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

heh
    was truely brillant alright :)
    just back from it - most impressed when Jack fell over with bottle of Rum, and didn't spill a drop - truely talented :)

Yes, missed Guybrush Threepwood - camo appearance woulda been nice heh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I thought the movie was excellent, but I am getting really fed up of Bruckheimer using virutally identical-sounding music in his movies.

Pirates continued a theme which has been running virtually continuously since "the Rock", and I just wish he could be a bit more varied or inventive.

jc

Advertisement