Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

YouTube golf

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I wonder if you're thinking of the (absolute set of clowns imo) called Country Club Adjacent on YouTube. They play some golf when they're not trying to be absolutely hilarious at LIV press conferences / events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Sheils last video was interesting playing against Guy Charnock. Rick played terrible ended up about 20 over. Interesting see these guys can have horror rounds like the rest of us.

I find crossfield decent enough but he can be nasty too if you follow him on Twitter. Doesn’t like anyone going against his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Having watched a fair bit of Rick Shiels he really isn't a very good golfer at all.

Even the 3/4 better Good Good golfers can comfortably beat him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭boccy23

Was watching Matt Fryer at The Island last night. Have never seen the course before, but it looks class.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

NLU are seriously anti liv. Apparently the Saudis have invested in ric shiels company, from what I've seen of him he's pro liv, but I find him hard to listen to so may be off on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He’s not pro LIV in fairness to him. He’s consistently said how boring he finds it and is sick of them constantly pushing how much money the players are winning. He’s right too, nobody gets enjoyment out of the rich getting very much richer

Found that very good, course looked brilliant.

Tubes and Brian O'Driscoll played Royal County Dublin recently, video is up of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭big_drive

Saw that one. Really good I thought, well put together with good craic. O'Driscoll looked a tidy golfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭coillcam

He's a PGA pro who became an influencer/celebrity through his channel. I don't think he was ever an elite golfer but he's certainly not a terrible golfer. It's just that he has an unenviably high standard to live up to because he's always in front of a camera, same with all of those YouTubers. Clearly, Rick is better than Guy Charnock (who he works with and is a legit low HC player - about 4 iirc). If he can comfortably and routinely beat a real low HC'er like Guy then he's obviously a good golfer. If he was better than his current level there's still a gap to the top amateurs. They'd still then be a step away from a minor tour player. Those lads are in the game full time 24/7. Rick Shiels is most certainly not. Look it's semantics at the end of the day as to what someone perceives as a "good" golfer.

I'd say Shiels is much more concerned about running his business, making content, and looking after a young family than playing good golf. Probably doesn't have enough time or interest in grinding out the reps to be at his best. FWIW I still think he's quite obviously poor at putting for his level and has a tendency to hook the ball quite often. Just waiting for someone to put up the recent video again where he barely breaks 90 and loses to Guy 😂.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Any chance you have a link to this, I can't find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Post edited by Dr Turk Turkelton on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

I didn't say he wasn't good, 3 or 4 is a good golfer but he's not a scratch player. You don't need to be scratch or plus to turn pro. His series is beat 75, that would hardly be a plus handicap player's target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭coillcam

Tbh what I said was more so aimed at the previous poster but I quoted you as it was the most recent post. I'm not here to be Rick's defender by any means but I would expect that he's not trying to break 75 on a Par 70 course that's 6000 yards. The tees/slopes he plays off are a mixture of difficult and average layouts. Some of those courses would be quite tough indeed. Even a scratch golfer would be sticking in a close to nett zero differential for posting a 75 on some of them.

If I'm not mistaken he did have a plus HC avg differential for the original break 75 series. Though you can hardly hold up that small number of rounds as a proper sample. He should be easily around scratch and not playing or practicing regularly. I'd imagine when he was a young amateur he understood his ceiling ability-wise and just stuck to the teaching as PGA pro before youtube kicked off. I think that 5hc was the cutoff to do the PGA course and turn "pro". The PGA pro in everyone's home course (primarily teaching) is not the same as a full-time tour pro. There are many high-level amateurs out there with a plus HC who would skin plenty of the PGA pros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Watching the latest Tourist Sauce (Scandinavia) - this is a series I normally love and the location was a great idea. The place is visually stunning. I have often admired these guys for not just focusing on golf - but this series is taking the piss. It is a travel show with an inconvenience of golf - and they are nice lads and interesting views on golf - but they are not as cool as they think, if it is just going to be a travel show with banter and saunas. If I want to watch a cool travel show I'll watch Anthony Bourdain or Simon Reeve.

Sadly I think sponsors and Style have got too much of a hold on these guys. To end on a positive - these shows remind you how good the golf is in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

I liked the shows but yes, 100% on board with the last comment.

That really stood out watching the last episode, 20 or so minutes in, and we still weren't on the first tee.

I suppose we're not their main audience, and if they're spending more time showcasing the Scandinavian/a different way of life to their main audience, I'll give them a pass and suck up the travel show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I think the problem is if you aren't already familiar with and like the guys then it's not very appealing for a newcomer who just wants to see interesting golf content. I feel the same way with Erik Anders Lang, just don't like the guy and a lot of his videos are in the same NLU overly stylish with golf being a secondary concern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In a way though, it's a good USP from your typical 'Break 80' type stuff that's absolutely everywhere now

Advertisement