Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

New Wire album 'mind hive' sounds great on first listen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

sweetie wrote: »
    New Wire album 'mind hive' sounds great on first listen

Listening to it now myself. It's a bit toothless in places to my ears and the guitars are strangely tame - they crunch but seem to be muted or mixed weirdly on some songs - but there's some good stuff here too. Nice use of electronics to add to the soundscapey vibe on a few of the quieter and I would say better songs.

Easily one of the most underrated bands of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Acosta

...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead's new album X: The Godless Void and Other Stories is great. Worth a listen if you want to listen to something that isn't David Keenan/Kennedy today :D

Big fan but can't warm to it at all.

New Wolf Parade album Thin Mind, is out. Enjoying it so far after a couple of listens

There's a new album by Destroyer out, Have We Met. One of those bands I meant to listen to down through the years, but struggled to get into. They always felt a bit too mannered, or arch to me.

I feel a bit of the same thing after a few listens through this album: the vocal style is an acquired taste. But, there are a few tunes on here I like. Very synth heavy, but it's done largely in a pretty tasteful way and the songwriting is on point for at least 60% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Not a new album, but a new album for me, which I think lives up to the hype. Shlagenheim. I was very disappointed after a while with the likes of Idles, Fontaines, Murder Capital. Not that they're bad, just I read so much about them, the curiosity wore off after a while. Black Midi are doing it for me at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Granadino wrote: »
    Not a new album, but a new album for me, which I think lives up to the hype. Shlagenheim. I was very disappointed after a while with the likes of Idles, Fontaines, Murder Capital. Not that they're bad, just I read so much about them, the curiosity wore off after a while. Black Midi are doing it for me at the moment...

The conveyor belt of music consumerism these days ..next!
    Murder Capital have potential Idles I would say intriguing tracks initially until u actually see the, listen to them in interviews not much going on intellectually..will have to wait to see can they deliver another album of any note.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The conveyor belt of music consumerism these days ..next!
    Murder Capital have potential Idles I would say intriguing tracks initially until u actually see the, listen to them in interviews not much going on intellectually..will have to wait to see can they deliver another album of any note.

Good point. For me anyway, there are albums that growers. Don’t seem much at first, but riffs, samples, melodies that just click after listening to them several times. They obviously suffer from what you refer to as the conveyor belt of music consumerism. I don’t know much about Fontaines DC (listened to them a bit. I’m sure I’ll get back into it again). Saw Idles live and loved it. But I can’t have a bad word said about Murder Capital. Initially too I wasn’t overly impressed. Didn’t think there was much substance to it. But after few listens, it just came together. Now I listen to it every day, and look forward to it every time. Feeling Fades is just majestic.

(No connection to the band, by the way!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Good point. For me anyway, there are albums that growers. Don’t seem much at first, but riffs, samples, melodies that just click after listening to them several times. They obviously suffer from what you refer to as the conveyor belt of music consumerism. I don’t know much about Fontaines DC (listened to them a bit. I’m sure I’ll get back into it again). Saw Idles live and loved it. But I can’t have a bad word said about Murder Capital. Initially too I wasn’t overly impressed. Didn’t think there was much substance to it. But after few listens, it just came together. Now I listen to it every day, and look forward to it every time. Feeling Fades is just majestic.

(No connection to the band, by the way!!!!)

Just can't get into them. They remind of a 5th year school band trying to be edgy. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Granadino wrote: »
    Just can't get into them. They remind of a 5th year school band trying to be edgy. :confused:

:mad::mad::mad:
    Each to their own, I guess. Different tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

took me a while but beginning to get my head around Schlagenheim, same thing with seeing them live

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Arghus wrote: »
    There's a new album by Destroyer out, Have We Met. One of those bands I meant to listen to down through the years, but struggled to get into. They always felt a bit too mannered, or arch to me.

I feel a bit of the same thing after a few listens through this album: the vocal style is an acquired taste. But, there are a few tunes on here I like. Very synth heavy, but it's done largely in a pretty tasteful way and the songwriting is on point for at least 60% of the time.

I'm enjoying this one quite a bit. I actually had listened to Kaputt quite a bit a few years ago, but completely fell off my radar. I can imagine some people would bounce right off the vocal style. Very distinctive and worth the perseverance from my point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

A band that's under the radar a bit but their new album is out this Friday and they are fantastic, from a small town in Holland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Came across this a couple of weeks ago and I love it, Panorama by La Dispute

https://youtu.be/3YAkc-ucWlI

I'm enjoying this one quite a bit. I actually had listened to Kaputt quite a bit a few years ago, but completely fell off my radar. I can imagine some people would bounce right off the vocal style. Very distinctive and worth the perseverance from my point of view.

I listened to this album a lot over the last few days. The songs that work, work really well. The first half of the record is pretty strong, but there's some really lifeless, pointless stuff elsewhere; almost to the point of it being muzack. Half a really great album, let down by it's other half, IMO.

Though I decided to listen to Destroyer's Rubies today, because it seems to be maybe their best regarded album? Feels like there's more meat in it, to be honest. Comes across as a cross between Dylan and Neil Young.

Of course, it being an album from the mid noughties there isn't a note from a synth in it anywhere. I wonder how a lot of contemporary music will sound to people in ten or fifteen years. Not that I hate it, but synths and the like are being fairly lashed into everything these days.

New Tame Impala.

I'm still on the fence about these guys.

I have a hard time with your man's singing voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

New Tame Impala.

I love them, really like the song "Is It True" It's not as good as Currents though

I also listened to the new Green Day album, The first half of the album is pop songs with a lot of 50's/60's style hooks and sounds very little like Green Day, the second half is more of the same. I'm glad they at least tried something different. The song "Stab you in the heart" is a total ripoff of Hippy Hippy Shake, I hope this is acknowledged on the album cover somewhere.

Will listen to the Tennis album next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭mosstin

New Tame Impala.

I have given them several listens over the years and they leave me utterly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭divide_by_zero

This week I have mostly been listening to.... Bombara -Stray, Beach Bunny - Honeymoon, Post Animal - Forward Motion Godyssey, Cindy Lee - What's Tonight to Eternity and Riki - Riki.

The Beach Bunny record is definitely the stand out this week for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

loving the new tennis album 'swimmer' catchy as fvck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Listening to the new Grimes album Miss Anthropocene.

Decent album, but it sounds a bit safe by her standards. I'm hoping that this is her contractual obligation album for 4AD, and that she has something wilder up her sleeve when she's free from her label.

• Advertisement

I haven't been in love with any of the songs that have been released as singles so far. Art Angels was amazing. I came to it thinking Grimes was hipster shyte, but I stuck with it until I couldn't deny it: she's a bit of a genius. But I don't have high expectations based on what I've heard so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I was the same. I dismissed Visions when I heard it first. But the Realiti demo and Art Angels completely changed my opinion of her. It was an amazing album.

The singles from the new album were ok, but they didn't get me hyped for the album in any way.

Listening to the new Grimes album Miss Anthropocene.

Decent album, but it sounds a bit safe by her standards. I'm hoping that this is her contractual obligation album for 4AD, and that she has something wilder up her sleeve when she's free from her label.

I've Listened to it a few times myself. I thought it was a bit disappointing at first, but I think it might be a grower.

I like how she's singing in a lower register through a lot of the album.

The singles were a bit - meh - taken in isolation, but they flow a lot better in the context of the album. How did I not realise that "My Name is Dark" is actually a bit of a banger?

Amazes me how the music press keep talking about the "nu-metal" influence on the album. I do not hear it. There's a dark industrial vibe in places, but nothing remotely close to nu-metal. Well, there's guitar - but you need a bit more than that for God's sake. It's like one of them said it somewhere in a review and now they all have to parrot that for want of something original to say. A lot of people out there stealing livings writing about music.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I don't hear too much of an nu-metal influence on the album but she does use the term herself to describe her music. I definitely think it's a little in vogue at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭mosstin

New Agnes Obel album out - 'Myopia'. Her last one, 'Citizen of Glass' was brilliant.

I absolutely love the new Grimes album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

The Guru Guru point fingers is excellent a number of notably great songs like opener Mache,Orgamiwise and PoverBridge

https://theguruguru.bandcamp.com/

Greg Dulli of the The Afghan Whigs solo record, Random Desire is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Greg Dulli of the The Afghan Whigs solo record, Random Desire is fantastic.

Thank you so much!
    I didn't know that was coming, and when searching for it I saw he's playing Whelan's next month which had slipped below my radar, fecking delighted!

Thank you so much!
    I didn't know that was coming, and when searching for it I saw he's playing Whelan's next month which had slipped below my radar, fecking delighted!

It gets better with every listen. The European tour starts in The Roisin Dubh in Galway and then onto Whelans. I'll see you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

To try to return the Greg Dulli favour, I recently stumbled across Across The Borders by Júníus Meyvant which is a great album. It's got a kinda 70s American funk feel, but a little more chilled. It could almost be the soundtrack to a film from that era. Given that sound, and what I first thought was a French name, I was very surprised to then read he was from the middle of nowhere in Iceland. It shouldn't, but that makes me like him even more

Advertisement