Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 76

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,502 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Good article breaking down the trailer like how the date is actually before super mutants were created. Not sure how long it takes ghouls to become feral? Trying to think what would be a common enemy to fight.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/30/17409604/fallout-76-trailer-breakdown

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Survival games have been the one genre I keep falling for; I buy a game from the genre (usually highly hyped or recommended), only to remember that I actually hate the core gameplay loop of all survival games. So, yeah, Survival Fallout is a hard pass from me, no matter how great the franchise has been. As single player games at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Multiplayer can feck off, Fallout is all about a lone wanderers journey through the wasteland. This probably means we wont hear about FO5 this decade now :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wish they had just announced it today and then given gameplay footage at e3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Thargor wrote: »
    Multiplayer can feck off, Fallout is all about a lone wanderers journey through the wasteland. This probably means we wont hear about FO5 this decade now :mad:

Back in 2006 I was all about online multiplayer. I wanted every game to have online multiplayer - - I loved it. I played every popular online game there was - Halo, Gears, COD, Battlefield, FIFA, Left 4 Dead and all the obscure ones - FEAR, Army of TWO - I just wanted every game to have an online component.............I was also 17/18/19 years old with no job and no responsibilities - a lazy bastard, to say the least. Fallout was never something I wanted to have online, even at my age at the time I knew it would never appeal to me. I had my go-to online games, and I had my go-to single-player experiences. Fallout was one of the big latter ones for me, and I personally think now is the time to start separating dedicated multiplayer franchises from singleplayer ones.

Fallout has never been the former, and I honestly do not think it's welcome in that infrastructure. I'm going to be 30 next year - I have a life to establish and a job, like so many other people here, who don't want another game-as-a-service shoved down their throats. This is why I never bothered with The Division, or Rainbow Six Siege, or Fortnite or indeed any MMO. I have my go-to online experience now and it's either Call of Duty or Battlefield if I can even be bothered, because games are all about the f*cking grind now and I hate it so much..... I love Fallout, I want Fallout 5 or a "New Vegas 2" kind of game.

This does not interest me going by the info...
    I don't know if I speak for a majority when I say I don't have the time to be grinding out an umpteenth online survival game at this age. Like give me a break.

................. I kind of went off on one there........ I am more bothered about this than I should be!

That pinch of salt no longer exists. I'm very salty now :P

Rant over. I'll probably regret half of the ****e I said in a few weeks - or after more of the game is shown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I love survival games. Risk vs reward. Actually care about your life and equipment. I had some fantastic gaming moments playing classic Rust with Boardsies. Then playing Arma exile mod with my friends. Its my favourite type of experience in video games outside of strategy and proper single player rpgs.
    Saying that, I am 32 year old fart with proper misses, kid, full time job etc. The time I have to play is very inconsistent. I might be able to play one day for 5h, then next time it will be 3 days later for 45min. So these games are out of reach for me.
    So no way I'll be able to dedicate myself to Fallout/Rust game. Thanks god for battle royal games, because I can get at least some taste of good old times.

Fallout was always about that cool retro futuristic adventure that I could tackle at my own pace. So this spin off might ne the first fallout I won't own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Good lord if this is a rust/
    ark clone i'l be so very dissapointed. If an mmorpg I would love that I'm a mmorpg fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

anyone remember the interplay saga with fallout online? No? Interesting read if you havent heard of it before - specifically the legal dispute with bethesda and it's cancellation nearly ten years ago, when it had been 2 years into development and been announced as so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_Online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

I'm also somewhat disappointed by this. Credit to Bethesda for at least trying something new, but this seems to be another game built with that engine. Even worse, it sounds like it's Fallout 4 with a new mode, the type of thing that started as a mod.

More than anything else though, I'm worried about how they'll implement the storytelling and questing in an online game, when so much of the pacing is taken away from you. The Fallout games have a certain feel, from Fallout 2 to Fallout 4 (I assume the first title is the same, although I haven't played it). Even the recent Fallout board game managed to capture that renowned feeling of isolation and exploration where you create your own story. They'll have a hard job of capturing that in an online game. But as a fan of the franchise I hope they pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm also somewhat disappointed by this. Credit to Bethesda for at least trying something new, but this seems to be another game built with that engine. Even worse, it sounds like it's Fallout 4 with a new mode, the type of thing that started as a mod.

More than anything else though, I'm worried about how they'll implement the storytelling and questing in an online game, when so much of the pacing is taken away from you. The Fallout games have a certain feel, from Fallout 2 to Fallout 4 (I assume the first title is the same, although I haven't played it). Even the recent Fallout board game managed to capture that renowned feeling of isolation and exploration where you create your own story. They'll have a hard job of capturing that in an online game. But as a fan of the franchise I hope they pull it off.

Tickle me interested in this. :o

• Advertisement

Zero interest in this. Fallout 4 was a disgrace to the series. More of the same. I was hoping for a new IP altogether. Why would they bother though.

Fallout has brilliant lore and potential for great story telling. Looking up vault 76, I started reading about other vaults and being reminded of the lore history, so intriguing. They just need to upgrade their engine and hire better writers. Fallout 4 was so boring and awful to look at. I don't think it helped releasing after The Witcher 3.

A guy on Reddit was so sure the announcement would be a fallout 3 remaster, he said he'd drink a bottle of tobasco hot sauce of it was a new game...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I wish Bethesda would just lease the use of another companies engine instead of persevering with the creaking mess they currently have. I think the jump from PS3 to PS4 made things worse as everyone suddenly looked like animated plastic face puppets. I'll keep praying for a Fallout 3/New Vegas remaster for the Switch in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    A guy on Reddit was so sure the announcement would be a fallout 3 remaster, he said he'd drink a bottle of tobasco hot sauce of it was a new game...

They'll announce that at E3 as their,"Its available right now.." mic drop at the end..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Good article breaking down the trailer like how the date is actually before super mutants were created. Not sure how long it takes ghouls to become feral? Trying to think what would be a common enemy to fight.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/30/17409604/fallout-76-trailer-breakdown

That's flawed, Super mutants weren't just created by the master. The Capital wasteland mutants predate them and this game (2102) and Washington is close to both Virginias (game might not be set in West Virginia) and borders one.

Ghouls were around but I'd say you can justify a feral with just excessive radiation.

Varik wrote: »
    That's flawed, Super mutants weren't just created by the master. The Capital wasteland mutants predate them and this game (2102) and Washington is close to both Virginias (game might not be set in West Virginia) and borders one.

Ghouls were around but I'd say you can justify a feral with just excessive radiation.

Would Fallout 1/2 be worth paying if I could get my hands on them. An android port would be ideal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I think it's really important to reiterate this: Anyone who spends the next two weeks expecting Fallout: 76 to be a new traditional single-player RPG will be VERY disappointed - Jason Schreier (Editor of Kotaku)

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I think it's really important to reiterate this: Anyone who spends the next two weeks expecting Fallout: 76 to be a new traditional single-player RPG will be VERY disappointed - Jason Schreier (Editor of Kotaku)

I'm actually happy to hear that

Would Fallout 1/2 be worth paying if I could get my hands on them. An android port would be ideal :)

Depends if you like that type of game. It is not like Fallout 4. It has some similarities to Fallout 3. It is a turn based rpg where your decisions really do affect the world. You genuinely do have a choice in how to carry out a objective rather than the illusion of choice. I think fallout 2 is the best of the lot.

• Advertisement

Depends if you like that type of game. It is not like Fallout 4. It has some similarities to Fallout 3. It is a turn based rpg where your decisions really do affect the world. You genuinely do have a choice in how to carry out a objective rather than the illusion of choice. I think fallout 2 is the best of the lot.

Fallout 2 was the best indeed. Even companions felt way more satisfying and fun. You actually needed to put effort in getting them. If you knew what to do, you could even get enclaive armour pretty much at the start of the game.
    Still in my top 3 games of all time and I am playing for at least 27 years!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is fallout 2 similar style to lets say wasteland 2?

Never played it but looks very similar from a quick video I just watched

Actually it is. Its turn based. Each weapon has a cost of AP to fire and depending on skills of your character you will have a set amount of AP per turn. The other difference is that in fallout 2 you have only your own character, not a squad. The party members you recruit think for themselves.

Actually it is. Its turn based. Each weapon has a cost of AP to fire and depending on skills of your character you will have a set amount of AP per turn. The other difference is that in fallout 2 you have only your own character, not a squad. The party members you recruit think for themselves.

Just had flashbacks of accidentally shooting Sulik and him turning on me. I'd imagine the combat is very, very frustrating to play compared to today's standards. I wonder if there has been any mods to clean it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Thought I should mention, considering the Irish connection, Danny O'Dwyer of NoClip fame has just announced his next documentary will be a two-parter: the history of Bethesda Games Studios' games and the making of Fallout 76. The latter will air almost immediately after Bethesda show off Fallout 76 at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

SeantheMan wrote: »

"Objectivity" is a silly thing to strive for. - Jason Schreier (Editor of Kotaku)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

"Objectivity" is a silly thing to strive for. - Jason Schreier (Editor of Kotaku)

When it comes to critiquing art, he's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

When it comes to critiquing art, he's right.

it wasn't about critiquing art.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

it wasn't about critiquing art.

What's it about then

Advertisement