Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOD and startup issues on PC

Options
  • 14-12-2018 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 53,906 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

It's driving me nuts that amount of BSOD's i'm having on my newly built PC. This weekend i'm going to concentrate on getting it fixed.

Here are my PC specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700X

Motherboard: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming

CPU Cooler: stock cooler

RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming 11264MB

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD 650W, Fully Modular,

Hard drive: Kingston Technology SSD A1000 (SA1000M8/960G) 960 GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2280, PCIe NVMe

This NVME is connected to the the motherboards: M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and
    PCIe 3.0 x4 (M2A_SOCKET)

There is no overclocking on CPU or GPU but I use XMP profile on the ram to get it to 3200

There's two problems i'm experiencing:

I would boot up the computer and just at the windows logo it restarts by itself. Out of 10 times starting the computer, 5 times it would reboot by itself. During this reboot everything powers down and just starts up again

The BSOD is the biggest concern as this appears to be happening every time I start the computer and the BSOD message is a mixture from memory management issues to IRQL not less or equal. (The messages vary a lot)

The strange thing the PC could restart 2-3 times because of BSOD but eventually it stops and fully boots up and I could be playing games for hours and no issues. It seems it's only during that initial startup where the issue lies

So what i've done so far:

Reinstalled windows 10 from scratch which seemed to work for a while but the problems returned

Check ram using memtest86 - all clear

Reinstalled GPU Drivers - issues still occur

Ran sfc /scannow - no issues

Flashed the BIOS with the latest version - issues still occur

My next plan of course is to do loads of safe mode start ups and see can I replicate it that way and if not that would suggest something driver related I would think.

What I find strange is on Gigabyes website I think they are missing critical drivers
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci

For example if you go down to "SATA RAID/AHCI" there's no sata driver besides raid??

The Chipset driver I downloaded was AMD Chipset Driver
    (Note) Win10 ver.1709 \ver.1803 supported.

If I install driver booster it reports back i'm missing drivers but not sure how reliable this is as windows drivers shows no issues with missing drivers

Can anyone share some advice for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

First thing I'd do is disable fast start.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Certain Mobos REALLY don't like the messing with power states.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,906 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ED E wrote: »
    First thing I'd do is disable fast start.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Certain Mobos REALLY don't like the messing with power states.

Thanks ED E for the advice. You know that could be it as this issue only happens when it starts up

Ill be doing that first thing when I get home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Headshot wrote: »
    Thanks ED E for the advice. You know that could be it as this issue only happens when it starts up

Ill be doing that first thing when I get home

Is there a Q code display on that board and if so what number does it show when you get the BSOD?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I know you ran memtest, but I would try 1 stick of RAM in various slots to to see if this points to an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

So what i've done so far:

Disable XMP and see if it helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Disable XMP and see if it helps

I'd do this also if the fast boot option does not fix the issue.

XMP as you know if auto overclocking the RAM and it may have been only tested for a Intel build which the majority of RAM is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Two issues caused this one my system.
    Fast boot and Windows updates on Windows 10.

If your on windows 10 pro they can give you beta updates instead of normal updates.

Make sure your not part of the insiders update program which they sometimes auto enroll you in and Ensure you have "Semi-Annual Channel" rather than "Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted)" updates selected.

Another common symptom I had from this was the system just powering off and restarting without going through bluescreen or shutdown. This was caused by the above also. Windows 10 is a buggy piece of Sh1t.

Edit:
    It affected my 1800x and 1950x builds.

Guys thanks so much for your feedback and advice. It's really appreciated but ED E nailed it.

The cause of my issues is the bloody fast boot. Since I've disabled that I've reboot my computer 10 times and each time it boots up perfectly with no BSOD or instantly rebooting issue

ED E I could kiss you

Can't win

booted up the pc this morning and the same issue happened again.

It's bizarre after numerous boots last night, I thought everything was fine.

It really seems like it doesn't like a cold bootup

The interesting this all my BSOD were due to memory management so im going to do some testing on the RAM

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great

Can't win

booted up the pc this morning and the same issue happened again.

It's bizarre after numerous boots last night, I thought everything was fine.

It really seems like it doesn't like a cold bootup

The interesting this all my BSOD were due to memory management so im going to do some testing on the RAM

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great
    I would be willing to bet this is not a hardware issue but is Windows 10. Did you try the suggestions I said in combination with the fast startup disabled? Try remove all windows patches that were installed, disconnect from the internet and see if it stays stable (If connected, they will reinstall). Switch to the normal channel updates to try prevent it from installing beta updates.

• Advertisement

Strangely I've had similar experience with an olllld AMD box.

Fast start enabled - Crashing
    Disabled - No Crashes
    Windows Update enables Fast Start again, Crashes
    Disabled - No Crashes
    Disabled - No Crashes

But recently its not solved it. Putting it down to the board at this point.

Double check Windows Update hasn't turned it back on (its normally only Feature Updates that do it) then I'd diagnose the memory as above.

As i do not poses this specs kit, what bothers me is:
    1. "new build" - was it working fine for some time and start misbehaving suddenly?
    2. AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700X >> Specifications>>System memory - does it actually support this frequency you forcing?

Providing you have tried other options, XMP would be my next step.

I've been doing some more tests.

I cannot replicate the issue where the computer has been powered on for a while and when I either restart or power down/power back on and there's no BSOD (I think disabling fast start greatly improved this)

The issue only happens when the computer has been off for a bit of time. For example I turned off the PC and turn it back on 30-45 mins later, one BSOD with the error memory management. The computer restarts and all is good now.

I have XMP disabled and the issue still occurs.

I find it hard to think this is a windows patches as it only happens from a cold boot up.

To me it sounds like either faulty RAM or faulty PSU. I'm going to test RAM and go from there

http://www.xanxogaming.com/reviews/gigabyte/aorus-rgb-ram-3200-mhz-english/4/
    Overclocking to 3266 MHz CL16, it did not only boot up, but it was also stable since we run MemTest for many hours without giving us any error in the process. There was no necessity to increase voltage further, although every now and then there was cold boot bug (this means, that sometimes it took more than one try so RAM could post). I did not try increase a little bit the voltage (let’s say 1.38v) as it might have fixed the cold boot bug.

I'd try downclocking your RAM.

I have the XMP disabled so I don't think that matters for me?

Some screenshots of the ram config:

https://imgur.com/umFfzS1
    https://imgur.com/dMhm1d6
    https://imgur.com/nDhVTLO

Strangely I've had similar experience with an olllld AMD box.

Fast start enabled - Crashing
    Disabled - No Crashes
    Disabled - No Crashes
    Disabled - No Crashes

But recently its not solved it. Putting it down to the board at this point.

Double check Windows Update hasn't turned it back on (its normally only Feature Updates that do it) then I'd diagnose the memory as above.
    Read this, Microsoft being really stupid adding Beta updates if you click the check for updates button. This is how I had the problem.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/398226/now-windows-10-has-c-b-and-d-updates.-what-is-microsoft-smoking/

Edit:
    Just so you are aware, I changed every single component in my system while debugging the exact same issue then I found it wasn't happening with my linux OS that was running on the same disk/pc.
    The exact issue happened on two systems.
    After that I was able to find out it was Microsoft playing silly buggers and using people as beta testers even if they didn't sign into it.

I have the XMP disabled so I don't think that matters for me?

Some screenshots of the ram config:

https://imgur.com/umFfzS1
    https://imgur.com/dMhm1d6
    https://imgur.com/nDhVTLO

Ryzen is has been known to be a bit of a d1ck with some mem configs IIRC. Rather than XMP pusing it up Im suggesting intentionally running it slow to see if that gives the memory controller enough slack to not fall over.
    deceit wrote: »
    Read this, Microsoft being really stupid adding

Not related but I'm aware. After they fired all their testers any hope of sane thinking in Redmond has been lost.

Guys i've done further testing and I think I know what the issue is.

A faulty ram stick.

I have 2x sticks of ram.

For better explanation I will call them stick A and stick B

I removed stick B from my computer and place stick A into Ram slot 1. One hr later booted up the PC no issues

I then removed stick A from my computer and place stick B into Ram slot 1. One hr later booted up the PC, BSOD with the message "System_Service_Exception" "What failed: NTFS.sys"
    The computer restarted no BSOD but computer froze on me and I had to power it down

I then removed stick B from my computer and place stick A into Ram slot 1. No issues with booting up.

I want to be sure this time it's the issue so I will continue testing this but it really looks like a faulty stick. Why the **** memtest or windows ram diagnostic's didnt pick this up is strange

If the stick is good when "warm" and only corrupts when "cold" memtest could in theory run for a decade without erroring.

I dont know enough about the anatomy of a DIMM to say why it would behave that way.

I looked up your X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING and checked manual(Download>>Manual>>mb_manual_x470-aorus-ultra-gaming_1001_e_180704.pdf) regard memory config - some confusion here.

468321.PNG

• Advertisement

I didn't spot that. That looks to be a typo. I've seen youtube videos where guys using this motherboard and with 2x stick of ram and it's always slots 2 & 4

This is how I had it setup before with 2x sticks

Cannot argue that, but usually RAM sit in alternating slots for dual channel - yours in 4 and 2 that are next to each other(as marked on the board), right?

Cannot argue that, but usually RAM sit in alternating slots for dual channel - yours in 4 and 2 that are next to each other(as marked on the board), right?

Sorry my mistake, those youtube video's are actually using 1 and 2 like what I did when I had the two sticks connected.

And that's not actually a typo in the manual, the motherboard is setup like this. Here's a pic of what it looks like on the board

b39MBcL.jpg?1

The reason i raised this was your CPU-Z images showing slot #2 and slot #4 where compare to MoBo #2 and #4 are neighboring. Must be CPU-Z marking it own way.

I got the stick of ram today guys and my PC has been perfect. It just goes to show what a faulty stick of ram can do

Also dont take memtest86 or windows memory tester results for gospel as they never spotted the faulty stick of ram

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Prime95 would more than likely have crashed but then you would have no way of knowing it was a stick of RAM at fault.

Glad you got it sorted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I got the stick of ram today guys and my PC has been perfect. It just goes to show what a faulty stick of ram can do

Also dont take memtest86 or windows memory tester results for gospel as they never spotted the faulty stick of ram

I did suggest you ignore memtest and do a proper RAM check early on in this! Glad to see you have got it sorted, may your BSOD's be long gone now!

Advertisement