Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you want a White Christmas?

• 13-12-2018 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭

Say Christmas morning you wake up and outside is covered with snow, would be be happy and enjoy a snowy Christmas or see it as a disaster ruining your plans?

Personally I'd love a snowy Christmas, Hollywood style.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Comments

Say Christmas morning you wake up and outside is covered with snow, would be be happy and enjoy a snowy Christmas or see it as a disaster ruining your plans?

Who travels on Christmas Day? Not very many, bring on a proper dusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No.

The novelty of snow soon wears off as I realised last March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,838 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No issue with a white Christmas.
    Once people had a bit of cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yes. Best day for it. Gone by 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

NO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

So I don't have to go visiting and no one comes to visit me?

Yes please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The comedown on st. stephens day is a bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Im in work Christmas Day so if I woke up to snowfall I’d be making that call to say you’ll not be seeing Salmocab on this fine festive morn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Snow is just as bad a rain, if it doesn't snow for another 20 years I'd be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

Many people, including myself work on Christmas day. The last feckin thing I want to see is snow, I can assure you....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Just for the day, better be gone on 26th because I like to go to the pub that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

hopeso wrote: »
    Many people, including myself work on Christmas day. The last feckin thing I want to see is snow, I can assure you....
    Just for the day, better be gone on 26th because I like to go to the pub that day.
    Would love it as long as I don't have to go anywhere

Man up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Would love it as long as I don't have to go anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So, is this another anti-immigrant thread or is it a totally weird one about the weather?

On the weather front. Yes. If it was a dry crisp day with a light dusting of snow and St Stephens day promised to be quite mild so you can be sure that the snow isn't going to become a nuisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

A light dust on the 24th/25th would be fine, just to colour the place.

Anything more becomes a hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'd love to be snowed in. Since the snow last spring this year was bloody hectic and I would love nothing more than being stuck in the house for a few days. Phones should be out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No.
    Fūck snow. Fine for children or people that don't need to go anywhere. This whole place grinds to a halt under a light dusting of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

F*ck no. I've an 80 mile round trip to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No thank you. Had enough of it in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Man up.

I go to the pub on the 26th day of every month. My local closed during the snow last year, granted it was March 1st but close to February 26th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

We are more likely to be submerged in water at the current rate. A white Christmas would be nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Many people go to family for Christmas day or have family over at points during the Christmas period. Snow on Christmas day would be a disaster for our Christmas plans, as we wouldn't see our kids or grandkids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Saw plenty white last Christmas. Got well acquainted with the porcelain of my jax. Vomiting bug.
    As for snow a day or 2. Nice to look at. Leads to all types of hardship for farmers. Got a hell of a doing down here in the spring.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Definitely not. When there was heavy snow in 2010 (I think), on Christmas Eve there was a very real chance that I was going to be spending Christmas Day on my own with just whatever food was in the fridge, rather than with my family. Thankfully there was a bit of a thaw overnight and I was able to head over to them (it's only about 35 minutes via the M50 on an average day). Wouldn't want that uncertainty again, although at least now I'd have my wife with me so we could starve and be miserable together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

I have to work Christmas and Stephens day so would love a good bit of snow. snowy roads are to dangerous to drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

So, is this another anti-immigrant thread or is it a totally weird one about the weather?

On the weather front. Yes. If it was a dry crisp day with a light dusting of snow and St Stephens day promised to be quite mild so you can be sure that the snow isn't going to become a nuisance.

Its all those eskimo's not integrating into irish weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

No! Leopardstown possibly being off & my flight possibly being cancelled/diverted/delayed on the 28th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Zaph wrote: »
    Definitely not. When there was heavy snow in 2010 (I think), on Christmas Eve there was a very real chance that I was going to be spending Christmas Day on my own with just whatever food was in the fridge, rather than with my family. Thankfully there was a bit of a thaw overnight and I was able to head over to them (it's only about 35 minutes via the M50 on an average day). Wouldn't want that uncertainty again, although at least now I'd have my wife with me so we could starve and be miserable together.

That year I was totally cut off in the Blue Stack mountains for weeks...with little in stock... Rescued finally by a kind local boardsie with a 4x4 who brought me fuel.. So now I ensure I am well stocked... and all much easier here on a small island.

Happy if it snows, happy if not,, although a sneaking longing for it! real snow of course as in up to the chimney..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Speaking as the manager of the Lidl store in Fortunestown*, no, I’d rather not, thanks!

* I’m not really him / her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yes, I would like my Christmas to be like a Wham video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Zaph wrote: »
    You're married so you don't need the snow to be feeling miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Absolutely would love to be snowed in for 3 days (provided I stock up appropriately of course) :) I'm working up until Christmas eve, then off for two weeks. Couldn't afford to go anywhere this year, so going to spend the time with family at home which was the ultimate cosy place during the big snow in 2010.

Even the 45 minute walk to the shop turned into a bit of an adventure, walking along a road with nothing but wildlife tracks on it. We probably spent more time visiting our neighbours next door than we ever did before or since. Brought a few supplies into some of the older/ unwell neighbours and built a snowman for the second time in my life. Also, the dogs love the snow and I love watching them play in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

Yes because that would mean no driving for me, I am the only one in my family who drives and we have dinner in my Grannys every year which means I have to drive my mother and sisters which means I cannot have a drink, one year where I could just relax, not drive and be merry on wine for the day would be fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

So long as it's just a dusting and doesn't affect the driving, bring it on, id love to see white fields this Christmas day.
    But thawed by NYE please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Who travels on Christmas Day? Not very many, bring on a proper dusting.

I'll be driving to Carlow on Christmas morning.

I'd rather have a migraine than have a white christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I'll be driving to Carlow on Christmas morning.

I'd rather have a migraine than have a white christmas

I'd rather have a month of migraines than go to Carlow ever again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

2005 I think it was, everyone on the East coast woke up to a brand new blanket of snow on Xmas morning.

It was magical tbh. 2010 wasn't quite the same because there'd been snow on the ground for a month at that stage.

I don't have to go anywhere at Xmas, so yes, a white one would be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'd love to be snowed in. Since the snow last spring this year was bloody hectic and I would love nothing more than being stuck in the house for a few days. Phones should be out too.

You could maybe just not leave your house for a few days? Or use your phone?

I don't like not having the option to go out and do something. Christmas day is nice, but I don't like being cooped up with nothing to do but watch TV which is all my family really want to do. No craic or conversation. Usually end up just working for most of the day because I need to focus on something.

Spent Christmas in Leipzig last year though. Was really nice, most places closed but there were a few. We could go out, sit in bars, walk around. Christmas in Ireland, everything's dead. I usually just wait for it to be over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

There was one in the early 2000s AFAIK.

Initially it looks pretty and novel admittedly.

However, it was a royal balls up and ruined Christmas. People were all stuck where they were on Stephens Day - I never want to see it again.

We don't have the street ploughs and tyres etc. so best we never see it and it just stays on Victorian style cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'd rather have a month of migraines than go to Carlow ever again!

Please do not wish that on yourself :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I would absolutely love a white Xmas. The pros vastly outweigh the cons. I would walk around for miles in the lovely white gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm hoping for a blizzard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yes, would totally love it. White-out, everything. Sparkling fields, twittering robins, the lot. Bring it on, say I!

In the meadow we could make a snowman!

♪ ♫ Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! ♫ ♪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

seamus wrote: »
    2005 I think it was, everyone on the East coast woke up to a brand new blanket of snow on Xmas morning.

It was Christmas 2004, my father was in Tallaght hospital at the time and I recall bringing him over to a window to look out. A hospital is a somewhat depressing place on Christmas Day, snow made it slightly less so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I actually wouldn't mind but when it starts to clear up and turn to slush? Nope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Would ya ever fookoff.
    I have to drive places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well, we’ve had a few now. 2004 and 2009, and I think the snow lingered until Stephen’s Day or longer in 2010 too. They were lovely and as we don’t do any travelling between family on Christmas Day, we could just chill out and look at it and take walks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yes, and I wish it regularly snowed throughout winter too

Snow makes me happier than anything , no idea why, I should probably move to canada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Hope it snows all day Christmas.

Advertisement