Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish family evicted and replaced by migrants

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Facebook is a magnet for nutters of all denominations. I gave up on it long ago TBH.
    aido79 wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting the type of response it has received here.
    On a few subjects reactions have become well, more reactionary and polarised.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

sightband wrote: »
    absolutely nothing about this story to be found online from what I can see.

Typical liberal Irish media censorship! Or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wibbs wrote:
    Facebook is a magnet for nutters of all denominations. I gave up on it long ago TBH.

It's best still never to join it, it was clearly obvious from its conception, it was gonna become a pile of ****e, but I'd imagine there are benefits from being a member also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Next up on After Hours, we'll be asking the important question, "Would you rather live beside a transgender traveller or a feminist immigrant? And how many homeless people should we move in with them?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

eagle eye wrote: »
    Sure you have to house the migrants or you are racist.
    It doesn't matter how much the Irish born white man is suffering you can get away with ****ing him over as long as you are treating the migrants well.
    The Irish born white man? You do realise that there are many Irish born people who are not white or does that not tie in with your distorted world view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

This thread has gone the way I was afraid it would. I just wanted to know if there was any truth behind it as I have seen it a few times on Facebook.
    A lot of the comments show that people have misunderstood my reason for posting and turned the thread into a bit of a car crash(including a poster who is responsible for trying to stop threads going this way)

I realise it's afterhours but if posters can't stay civil and on topic I would suggest that the thread be closed.

Mod: You ain't the moderator here, boi. Not only have you managed to shoehorn two typically overdone AH topics (immigration and housing) into a thread that ended up being fake news, you open a silly thread that a simple google would have answered for you. When this happens, expect the piss to be taken out of you. It has happened to others, it has happened to me and now it's happening to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Slasher wrote: »
    A moderator, of all people, should not put up stuff like this without verifying its authenticity. Disgraceful.

I googled it, couldn't find anything about it and decided to ask on here if it was for real or not. I thought someone might know some local information on it and if there was any truth to it. I really don't see what the problem is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Isn’t the question whether people are being given a house not renting on the open market.

Although the original story is fairly nonsensical.

Mod: You ain't the moderator here, boi. Not only have you managed to shoehorn two typically overdone AH topics (immigration and housing) into a thread that ended up being fake news, you open a silly thread that a simple google would have answered for you. When this happens, expect the piss to be taken out of you. It has happened to others, it has happened to me and now it's happening to you.

I'm not a regular poster on AH so lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

These stories are made up by racists.

A black woman couldn't get on the bus this morning with her child's buggy so just left it at the bus stop and proclaimed loudly "I'll get another one from the social"

Was in the social this morning and an Irish woman with 4 kids was crying at the counter as she had just been made homeless. A foreign family came in, still with the airport tags on their bags, and were told there's a house available for them and taxis were ordered to take them there now.

Extra line added to that one is a staff member then told a randomer that they get paid by the EU to house immigrants.

dont-believe-everything-you-read-on-the-internet-just-because-11793910.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The funny thing is; the people on these type of things crying that we should house our own first, would also be the first to whinge about "the bloody scroungers and their free houses" if we did house Irish people first. You can't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wheety wrote: »

A black woman couldn't get on the bus this morning with her child's buggy so just left it at the bus stop and proclaimed loudly "I'll get another one from the social"

Was in the social this morning and an Irish woman with 4 kids was crying at the counter as she had just been made homeless. A foreign family came in, still with the airport tags on their bags, and were told there's a house available for them and taxis were ordered to take them there now.

Extra line added to that one is a staff member then told a randomer that they get paid by the EU to house immigrants.

Ah jesus that photo will have aido making another thread soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

I don’t think the woman waiting at the bus stop was ever black, just by the way.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah jesus that photo will have aido making another thread soon.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why?

You'll want to know if its true?

Or have you learned how the internet works now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

This story has been shared a number of times recently by friends on Facebook. There is always more to these stories when more details are revealed so just wondering if anyone has any more information about the story.

If it is a straightforward case that the Irish family has been turfed out for no reason other than to be replaced by migrants for financial gains then it is wrong and I would agree with councillor Andy Gladney.

Screenshot from someones phone, taken off facebook. How could it not be true?

I can't trust anyone who shows a battery bar AND a percentage. Clearly a deviant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No one from outside this country should be given a house until every Irish homeless person is housed.

That's fúcking retarded.

Why should some Irish junkie on the scratcher somehow have priority over an American engineer earning top dollar say?

If you were renting out a house, who would you rather have as a tenant?

Or are you only this patriotic with other peoples property?

Who is this Mark Rippetoe fella ^^^^? I like the cut of his jib.

And how did you manage to rip a toe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Regardless of whether this actually occurred in Kilkenny or not, or if the circumstances are as simple as they have been presented or not, it is still a conversation that needs to be had. It is still a valid question - should migrants be housed before homeless Irish people.

Saying the fact that the conversation should be had should not be construed as indicative that my opinion is that the migrants should be told go to hell.....because that isn't my opinion!

But I feel the OP has been unjustly criticized.

So if you have a house of “irish” people who have never worked a day on their lives, professionally unemployed, welching on the rent, treating the house like a disposable commodity.
    I’d evict them for he chance to give the house to any other family who might need a start to make a like for themselves.

1 productive migrant that works and contributes to society is worth 10 “real Irish” or “our own” who have chosen to make their lives by being professionally unemployed and do nothing but take take take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Had a little look around the interweb and there are exactly zero reports of an Irish family being evicted to house immigrants. Or to put it another way: it's a complete load of bollocks.

However, Sinn Fein councillor for Carlow, Andy Gladney, did get involved in who should be given preference for social housing in his area: At a recent Council meeting Andy said that he was at home when he heard a report about the resettlement of refugees in Carlow-Kilkenny. He said that the broadcast indicated that houses in the Bagenalstown area had been acquired for Syrian refugees.

"I didn't think it was a good way of going about the Council's business, I think there should have been notification to councillors beforehand, before it went out on the radio." Councillor Gladney said that he had no issue with Syrians being resettled in Ireland, but Irish people in need should be looked after first.

https://www.facebook.com/KilkennyJournal/posts/our-own-come-first-for-irish-houses-cllr-andy-gladney-of-bagenalstown-criticised/1835294083204590/

Call me old fashioned, but I subscribe to the notion that housing should go to those most in need - which is the formula in most developed countries - not to those with the most freckles and shillelaghs.

For the love of god, do not use that "Kilkenny Journal" facebook page as a source for anything, it's a one man band run by a lad whose social/political views are from sometime in the 1800s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Who is this Mark Rippetoe fella ^^^^? I like the cut of his jib.

And how did you manage to rip a toe?

I too enjoy his work. Other than the use of the word "boi".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

That's fúcking retarded.

Why should some Irish junkie on the scratcher somehow have priority over an American engineer earning top dollar say?

If you were renting out a house, who would you rather have as a tenant?

Or are you only this patriotic with other peoples property?

Presumably these guys mean social housing.

sightband wrote: »
    I don’t think the woman waiting at the bus stop was ever black, just by the way.

In the version I heard, she was Nigerian, so I just presumed.

Someone actually told me their friend knew a bus driver and this actually did happen to them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

In the version I heard, she was Nigerian, so I just presumed.

She might have been one of those very common albino Nigerians. The ones with red hair and freckles ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This story has been shared a number of times recently by friends on Facebook. There is always more to these stories when more details are revealed so just wondering if anyone has any more information about the story.

If it is a straightforward case that the Irish family has been turfed out for no reason other than to be replaced by migrants for financial gains then it is wrong and I would agree with councillor Andy Gladney.

And do you think it's a straightforward case as has been turfed out?

I'd say 0.001% chance it's as reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

What would you suggest I put as the thread title?

Why is it pathetic? I'm just trying to figure out if the story is even true and if so details behind the eviction.

I think the word pathetic was used because no family is ever turfed out for "no good reason". However, when people are evicted (for a vast number of reasons) they will often cry "we didn't do anything".

And yes, as stated, shared on Facebook. Has BS plastered all over it.

pjohnson wrote: »
    You'll want to know if its true?

Or have you learned how the internet works now?

I'm well aware of how the internet works.

lawred2 wrote: »
    And do you think it's a straightforward case as has been turfed out?

I'd say 0.001% chance it's as reported.

This is why I started the thread...to find out if it's as straight forward as the Facebook post makes it seem.
    I normally ignore stuff like this but the fact that it seems to quote a councillor made me curious to see if there's any truth to it.

This is why I started the thread...to find out if it's as straight forward as the Facebook post makes it seem.
    I normally ignore stuff like this but the fact that it seems to quote a councillor made me curious to see if there's any truth to it.

Should tweet the pic to the councillor and ask him if it's true. Most of these stories on Facebook are either completely made up or leave out massive chunks of the story.

If you Google the story for the facts and correct the person sharing/posting the story you get "There's no smoke without fire", "I'm just sharing the story I read" or something like that.

Presumably these guys mean social housing.

Even so.

I'll take a working family of foreigners over a home grown waste of space every single time.

If the only thing you have in common with me is that we we're both born on this island, then you have nothing in common with me. Some waste of space layabout junkie or pisshead is not "one of my own" Same goes for the professionally unemployed workshy layabouts.

I point blank resent having to pay for pieces of shít like that, I'd much rather my money be spent helping out some poor unfortunate Syrian or something along those lines, or even just some Polish family in search of a better life.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Dog-whistle racist stuff from moderators. boards.ie is an absolute sewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No one from outside this country should be given a house until every Irish homeless person is housed.

Does that include paedophiles, rapists and murderers too, once they are Irish?

I mean somebody who is running from being murdered after their family were killed should not be given asylum because we have to house an Irish rapist?

That is what you are saying

Should tweet the pic to the councillor and ask him if it's true. Most of these stories on Facebook are either completely made up or leave out massive chunks of the story.

If you Google the story for the facts and correct the person sharing/posting the story you get "There's no smoke without fire", "I'm just sharing the story I read" or something like that.

I don't have Twitter.

Ciaran_B wrote: »

I was in no way being racist. Can you explain why you think I was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Cordell

No one?

Even foreign nurses, doctors, service industry workers etc?

Until every sponger who wants a free house gets one we should kick out all these people providing vital services?

Achh I do wonder the IQ of some in this country.

Exactly, no one. Foreign professionals are quite capable of providing for themselves, they don't need handouts, you will never need to kick out of social housing any of them - because there aren't any. And the ones that need housing provided by the state can very well find their way back and become someone else's problem, preferably on their country of citizenship. The fact that there is very little to be done about Irish spongers should not stop handling of foreign ones.

And I'm saying that as a foreigner (but not sponger). And I know quite a few of my own fellow countryman, with different backgrounds and qualifications ranging from chipper workers to engineers and doctors that don't need state handouts, never did and most likely never will. And I also know some of them that are spongers and trust me, they are of no use here.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

Imagine if that stupidity was applied to Irish people who have moved to other countries.

Are Irish people availing of social housing in these other countries?

No one?

Even foreign nurses, doctors, service industry workers etc?

Until every sponger who wants a free house gets one we should kick out all these people providing vital services?

Achh I do wonder the IQ of some in this country.

Social housing for doctors and nurses???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

For the love of god, do not use that "Kilkenny Journal" facebook page as a source for anything, it's a one man band run by a lad whose social/political views are from sometime in the 1800s

Absolute bellend

here's his twitter handle
    The latest Tweets from THE KILKENNY JOURNAL (@PhotogKilkenny). Michael (Hated by the Pseudo Left) McGrath. Anti-Immigration- Pro Life & Free Press.

One of his finest works

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/12/10/anything-good-in-the-kilkenny-journal/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What would you suggest I put as the thread title?

Why is it pathetic? I'm just trying to figure out if the story is even true and if so details behind the eviction.

Well for starters a question mark on the end. Or according to councillor or Facebook. The title is misleading as it is stating it has fact. We have no story only hearsay from hearsay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

I'm not a regular poster on AH so lesson learned.

So maybe you should delete the thread. That would be a good idea, would it not?

Social housing for doctors and nurses???

I know 2 nurses who live in council houses.
    I wouldn't have thought it was that weird a scenario?

I know 2 nurses who live in council houses.
    I wouldn't have thought it was that weird a scenario?

isnt it well for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Absolute bellend

here's his twitter handle

The latest Tweets from THE KILKENNY JOURNAL (@PhotogKilkenny). Michael (Hated by the Pseudo Left) McGrath. Anti-Immigration- Pro Life & Free Press.

One of his finest works

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/12/10/anything-good-in-the-kilkenny-journal/

Surely no one subscribes to that bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Had a little look around the interweb and there are exactly zero reports of an Irish family being evicted to house immigrants. Or to put it another way: it's a complete load of bollocks.

However, Sinn Fein councillor for Carlow, Andy Gladney, did get involved in who should be given preference for social housing in his area: At a recent Council meeting Andy said that he was at home when he heard a report about the resettlement of refugees in Carlow-Kilkenny. He said that the broadcast indicated that houses in the Bagenalstown area had been acquired for Syrian refugees.

"I didn't think it was a good way of going about the Council's business, I think there should have been notification to councillors beforehand, before it went out on the radio." Councillor Gladney said that he had no issue with Syrians being resettled in Ireland, but Irish people in need should be looked after first.

https://www.facebook.com/KilkennyJournal/posts/our-own-come-first-for-irish-houses-cllr-andy-gladney-of-bagenalstown-criticised/1835294083204590/

Call me old fashioned, but I subscribe to the notion that housing should go to those most in need - which is the formula in most developed countries - not to those with the most freckles and shillelaghs.

Is that your view on Irish people whose ancestry goes back into the mists of time - freckles and shillelaghs :(?

Needs being equal - Irish people should be first in the queue as they've been here, by virtue of ancestry longer than anyone else. That's the way queues work and one's heritage should count for something in one's own country, especially as it was mainly Irish people who built the country up to the point where some immigration is sustainable.

Charity begins at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    It really isn't. Try Facebook, Twitter, YouTube :eek: comments, and the comments sections of newspapers.

Boards is miles more balanced. And its moderators are volunteers - the ones for the above sites/publications are paid.

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Regardless of whether this actually occurred in Kilkenny or not, or if the circumstances are as simple as they have been presented or not, it is still a conversation that needs to be had. It is still a valid question - should migrants be housed before homeless Irish people.

Saying the fact that the conversation should be had should not be construed as indicative that my opinion is that the migrants should be told go to hell.....because that isn't my opinion!

But I feel the OP has been unjustly criticized.

I would agree if this was a place specific for homeless and a migrant family jumped the queue. But if it is a landlord should they not be allowed to offer it to whoever or are you saying they need to travel the homeless and give them the place

Slasher wrote: »
    So maybe you should delete the thread. That would be a good idea, would it not?

At this stage it would but that would be up to the AH moderators.

It's unlikely the thread will be deleted but can a mod please close this thread?

railer201 wrote: »
    Is that your view on Irish people whose ancestry goes back into the mists of time - freckles and shillelaghs :(?

Needs being equal - Irish people should be first in the queue as they've been here, by virtue of ancestry longer than anyone else. That's the way queues work and one's heritage should count for something in one's own country, especially as it was mainly Irish people who built the country up to the point where some immigration is sustainable.

Charity begins at home.

For social housing it should be where you are in the queue not how long there heritage is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

It really isn't. Try Facebook, Twitter, YouTube :eek: comments, and the comments sections of newspapers.

Boards is miles more balanced. And its moderators are volunteers - the ones for the above sites/publications are paid.

I don’t know if I would describe it as “more balanced”. Censored to bits suiting certain agendas might be a better description.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

I was in no way being racist. Can you explain why you think I was?

Because the thread title is a bare faced lie designed to stir up hatred.

• Advertisement
Advertisement