Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I enjoy a bottle of wine everyday, am I an alcoholic?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

jacksn wrote: »
    Hi gang - thanks for all the comments, I thought I would post an update on my week and I can report the following.

There is plenty of booze in our house so I don't have to go far if I want a beer or glass of wine.

Tuesday - no alcohol
    Wednesday - 1 bottle beer watching Match of the Day
    Thursday - no alcohol
    Friday - 3 glasses of Red
    Saturday - 2 Bottles beer
    Sunday - 1 Pint at family Christmas lunch

To add some context, this is how it would USUALLY have spent the week, especially with a family lunch event

Tuesday - Half to full bottle Red Wine, easy
    Wednesday - 3 bottles beer watching Match of the Day, easy
    Thursday - Probably would have none
    Friday - Full bottle Red Wine
    Saturday - Half to full bottle Red Wine + 3 Bottles beer
    Sunday - 3-5 Pints minimum at family Christmas lunch with some wine and more in the evening.

I am setting myself the target as going on the dry fro 3 months in the new year and between now and then to slowly cut down.. i dont want to stop now as i want to enjoy my Christmas.. its not a case of that I "can't stop now" i would rather enjoy the season and in the new year go on the dry for at least 3 months.

For the next 2 weeks I am only going out one night with friends, normally i would easily be out 3-4 days of the week meeting others or finding others to meet but between now and Christmas Im only going out once.

I don't think I have a dependency, its just a bad habit I reckon.
    Good job OP, that first week schedule is totally in line with normal drinking standards now .Theres no need to go completely dry really unless you really feel you need to, moderate alcohol consumption is fine and that amount is most likely not doing much damage to your body but everybody reacts differently.

Absolutely. I found myself justifying it to my housemate by saying "God I deserve this after the day I've had", and when you get into the habit of it it starts to feel completely normal until you realize that it probably isn't.
    I'm off drink a while now. Saw an alcohol counsellor and she agreed I wasn't an alcoholic. Don't use labels that will follow you. There's a few things you'll need to learn when you stop drinking. Being able to drive at all times being one. :P Not much of a lie-in at the weekend. Finding things to occupy the time you used to drink.
    Not everyone with an issue is an alcoholic. Hell I still don't really think quitting drinking made a huge difference for me so far but I had to be destroying my liver with how much I was taking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 uptothetop

I went on holiday to France last year,
    And I went to doolin last spring.

over there I enjoyed a lot of wine and since then I would have a bottle of wine every day,
    that means you are an alcoholic. You cant go around wiithout alcohol anymore. Its physical an psychological level of addoction. Also your liver soon will became dysfunctional.
    I feel like I can stop anytime but I do enjoy it.. am I a dipso?
    Feelings are for weak people, pu**ies so called. People with feelings are on the lower level of evolution. Kill your feelings, you do not need them. Feeling is pathetic. And yes, you are dipso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hi gang - thanks for all the comments, I thought I would post an update on my week and I can report the following.

There is plenty of booze in our house so I don't have to go far if I want a beer or glass of wine.

Tuesday - no alcohol
    Wednesday - 1 bottle beer watching Match of the Day
    Thursday - no alcohol
    Friday - 3 glasses of Red
    Saturday - 2 Bottles beer
    Sunday - 1 Pint at family Christmas lunch

To add some context, this is how it would USUALLY have spent the week, especially with a family lunch event

Tuesday - Half to full bottle Red Wine, easy
    Wednesday - 3 bottles beer watching Match of the Day, easy
    Thursday - Probably would have none
    Friday - Full bottle Red Wine
    Saturday - Half to full bottle Red Wine + 3 Bottles beer
    Sunday - 3-5 Pints minimum at family Christmas lunch with some wine and more in the evening.

I am setting myself the target as going on the dry fro 3 months in the new year and between now and then to slowly cut down.. i dont want to stop now as i want to enjoy my Christmas.. its not a case of that I "can't stop now" i would rather enjoy the season and in the new year go on the dry for at least 3 months.

For the next 2 weeks I am only going out one night with friends, normally i would easily be out 3-4 days of the week meeting others or finding others to meet but between now and Christmas Im only going out once.

I don't think I have a dependency, its just a bad habit I reckon.

You're grand, don't let the drones get to you. It's just part of the new 'anything people used to do is wrong' Twitter attitude that people live by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Patww79 wrote: »
    You're grand, don't let the drones get to you. It's just part of the new 'anything people used to do is wrong' Twitter attitude that people live by now.

I'm guessing you're a similarly heavy drinker in denial? It's hardly got to do with 'attitudes' or 'opinions' when there is plenty of evidence stating the OP's alcohol intake is bad for your health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pac1Man wrote: »
    there is plenty of evidence stating the OP's alcohol intake is bad for your health.
    Yeah, that's not what the OP asked though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I would think a lot of people could drink a bottle of wine a day.

It's a huge issue for many and as others say, because it's wine and not spirits, it's not seen as a problem.

I could well drink a bottle of wine a night and be up right as rain the next morning. But over time, this is not good.

The other morning driving to work something came in the radio about Christmas movies over the break and I pictured myself at home watching them feet up with a glass of red. We use alcohol to reward ourselves for everything.

Think even if the extra empty calories you are taking in. And also the money being wasted.

I read the other thread, it's great to be locked or whatever it is, and together with having a heavy night Friday has made up my mind that I'm done with it.

We have a very unhealthy attitude to non drinkers, one comment there was you might as well become vegan and eat kale and take up cycling. Well done if you do.

Was going to start New Year, but decided to start Sunday morning so now coming into day 4.

Bought the book This Nakrd Mind by Annie Grace. Worth a read fir anyone considering they are drinking too much,

This thread is very timely so thanks OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Swapping fron red to white wine is the cure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, that's not what the OP asked though.

Bingo.

This type of attitude is huge part of the problem.

If you read the other thread, about getting locked, its seen in a positive way and anyone not buying in is seen as a whinger and vegan do gooder and spoiling your fun.

I decided to become Veggie in the Summer. Since then, I have had a lot of people ask "are you still at that aul nonsense". I can imagine giving up drink will be the same.

I dont try to force my opinions on anyone, I know they are right for me but I dont need negativity either.

Similarly, only OP will know if he has a problem. Is he an alcoholic, only he can answer that question? Needless to say, building up a tolerance is not good, as I said, I went from someone who did not drink till 30 to being able to sink a strong bottle of wine a night with no ill effects the next morning.

If you do give up or cut down OP, do it for yourself as you have a good handle of where you are at.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    I would think a lot of people could drink a bottle of wine a day.
    I always want to point out the total alcohol content. A 750ml bottle of wine is roughly the same as 5 cans or about 280ml of spirit. Every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

uptothetop wrote: »
    And I went to doolin last spring.

that means you are an alcoholic. You cant go around wiithout alcohol anymore. Its physical an psychological level of addoction. Also your liver soon will became dysfunctional.

Feelings are for weak people, pu**ies so called. People with feelings are on the lower level of evolution. Kill your feelings, you do not need them. Feeling is pathetic. And yes, you are dipso

Well done on the cross-topic response there.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

theguzman wrote: »
    Yes you are an alcoholic, you should seek help and speak to your GP, cut down on the wine it will do you no good as you are abusing it perhaps for some psychological reason.

What bull****. Yes the poster is abusing alcohol but an alcoholic ?
    Try reducing first ie don't drink four days a week. If that doesn't work talk to your GP.
    Look up a book by Jason Vale onbooze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Decide to stop drinking, then you'll know.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Jason Vale has right idea. Drink is posison but we fool ourselves it's worth it. AA has wrong approach. People off booze missing it ? Missing a lie.
    Read his book. Helping me quit the stuff . Not there yet but close

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Jason Vale has right idea. Drink is posison but we fool ourselves it's worth it. AA has wrong approach. People off booze missing it ? Missing a lie.

currently reading Annie Grace"s The Naked Mind.

Similar type approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

have a look here if you want to it's a standardised tool used to screen people with possible alcohol problems.

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/calculator-alcohol-consumption-screening-audit-questionnaire-in-adults-patient-education

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

You are a raging alcoholic OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Thestones

An entire bottle every night really is alot, I'd be proper drunk on a whole bottle. You probably don't notice it but I bet you aren't performing at your best in work, you can't be when your consuming that much alcohol every night, have your colleagues picked up on it? Your naive to think it's not affecting your daily life and obviously health wise it's not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Thestones wrote: »
    An entire bottle every night really is alot, I'd be proper drunk on a whole bottle. You probably don't notice it but I bet you aren't performing at your best in work, you can't be when your consuming that much alcohol every night, have your colleagues picked up on it? Your naive to think it's not affecting your daily life and obviously health wise it's not good.

Youre naive to think that alcoholism will always have very apparent negative effects! Thats exactly why alcoholism like this flies under the radar so often and is normalised by many who think oh its not affecting my job so therefore even if I drink a lot I couldnt be an alcoholic

I 100% could drink a bottle of wine every night and function perfectly, I just wouldnt because Id be killing my body. Many people have a lot higher tolerance than you, I can drink huge amounts of alcohol and people dont even know Im drunk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Saying drinking a full bottle of wine per day could mean alcoholism or at least that it's too much drink, is hardly an example of "Anything people used to do is wrong". When was it ever something "people used to do" as if it was just a standard thing? People didn't have the money for starters.

I enjoy a drink - I'm not an "alcohol is evil" person, but not gonna deny when it's being abused either. Or if I have abused it myself (haven't done so in quite a long time because I get an awful hangover too easily, but I used to drink too much on nights out. I don't deny it now and I didn't deny it then either).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Going for a quite pint alone can lead to comfort and the drink could keep flowing and flowing

I drink once maybe twice a week nowadays and can have good/bad experiences with drunkenness. Some nights im on a high and happy, others I could be a bit down in myself which can lead to more drinking. For me it's try and not think about too many negative things when I have drink as it can create lead too bad thoughts etc

Worst night if messiness I had was a few weeks ago when I had a small enough dinner, had a lot of drink and tried something else and I was in an extreme state. Falling over the place, passing out, vomiting and just been messy. I was at a wedding recently and had a lot of drink but was less messy cause I had lots of food and Water between drinks and not extra curricular stuff (only ever had it once, the time I explained at the start)

This is a balls of a time cause you just want to be out having fun cause it's Xmas time. I will be drinking this weekend but I need to man up and look after myself and drink to a level i feel i want

I have my own rituals I like doing before/after a night out and feel happier doing them.

I say give it up in the new year but take it easy over Christmas, doesn't sound like alcoholism when you're going without some days but sounds like it's a slippery slope to dependency.

Also those stats on alcohol and it actually having benefits to your health in low amounts is quite dodgy as Total non drinkers (who are a small cohortof the population) are skewed by people who cannot drink for health reasons. This leaves the low alcohol consumption cohort as the healthiest which leads to claims that small amounts of alcohol are good for you.

Anyway best of luck op, love to hear how it goes. I've a few friends who seemed ok in their late 20s and early 30s but by late 30s had become dependent. One can't sleep without a drink now and another has fatty liver disease. This is far more common that people realize

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Bobtheman wrote: »

The stand out point for me in his book was "Alcohol is the only drug on the planet that you have a problem with if you don't take it" :pac:

There's a double meaning to that. If you realise you have a problem with alcohol and go to AA, then you will always believe you have a problem with it despite not drinking. You have this disease called alcoholism. It is actually better to tell yourself you no longer have a problem, that through stopping drinking you actually solved that particular problem. Also, if you don't drink, some assume you must be an alcoholic/problem drinker who is now tee-total because, after all, everybody drinks.

I don't take Cocaine. I don't have a problem with cocaine. I don't tell myself I am a cokeaholic. People don't think I must have a coke problem because I don't take it. The booze being legal and ubiquitous warps our thinking about what it means to take a 'drug'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

So OP, how did you fair out over Christmas and the New Year?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement