Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I enjoy a bottle of wine everyday, am I an alcoholic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

jacksn wrote: »
    I went on holiday to France last year, over there I enjoyed a lot of wine and since then I would have a bottle of wine every day, I feel like I can stop anytime but I do enjoy it.. am I a dipso?

Yes you are an alco if you cant stop without thinking I must have a drink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This can get confusing. We don't have "units" in Ireland; we have "standard drinks". Other countries also have "standard drinks", but the standard drink varies from country to country, from a low of 8g/10ml of pure alcohol in Iceland, to a high of 19.75g/25ml in Japan. This makes for much confusion, when people read about various recommendations expressed in terms of different standard drinks, either not realising that standard drinks vary from country to country or not appreciating that the recommendation they are looking at comes from another country. Further confusion results from the fact that a typical drink (as in, the quantity normally served to someone) will usually contain rather more than one standard drink, but people frequently do not appreciate this.

The "unit" terminology was adopted in the UK in the mid-80s in an attempt to fix this problem. SFAIK the UK is the only country to express its alcohol intake recommendations in units, so "unit" is unambiguous; it always refers to 8g/10ml of alcohol. The Irish standard drink contains 1.25 UK units. A pint of 4.5% alcohol-by-volume beer contains about 1.9 Irish standard drinks, or 2.35 UK units.

OK so not a unit but still an Irish standard slightly different from the UK one. Multiple other countries do use 10 grams for a standard drink. To quote from the HSE article:
    In Ireland, there is much confusion on what constitutes a typical or ‘standard drink’. Part of the confusion stems from the use of the ‘UK unit’, which is inappropriate in the Irish context. The UK unit was devised in the early 1970’s as a simple method to calculate the alcoholic strength in different drinks. The purpose was to help scientists and health professionals in the clinical setting estimate alcohol consumption for comparative purposes. The measure used was called a ‘unit of alcohol’ and related to the most common drinks and alcohol content of drinks served in the UK. A ‘UK unit of alcohol’ is found in a half pint of beer (3.5%ABV) or a small glass of wine (100ml) or a single measure of spirits (1/6 gill) and equals 8 grams of pure alcohol. Although the UK unit was used in Ireland, it did not reflect the typical strength or serving measure of drinks sold in Ireland. For example, a single measure of spirits is larger (1/4gill vs. 1/6gill) in Ireland.

A pilot study undertaken in 2000 showed that a typical drink in Ireland was equal to 10 grams of alcohol and called a ‘standard drink’ reflecting the alcohol content and typical serving sizes in Ireland. Therefore, the UK unit measure is not appropriate and should not be used in Ireland. In the international arena, a standard drink is the usual term used. The UK unit (8 grams) is the lowest standard drink measure used. Some countries use 10 grams as their standard drink measure including Spain, Italy, New Zealand and Australia while others have higher or no measures. The key factor is to provide accurate and reliable information in the Irish context for health professionals, policy makers and the general population in Ireland.

Either way, the more important point is that a daily consumption of a bottle of average strength wine is way too much. These days, beer is often 5-7% and is sold in ever larger bottles so one can get into 10 UK unit territory no bother while quietly watching the telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

8.3% of Irish People

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I'd have a 2-3 cans/bottles most nights when I'm working. Helps me relax, forget about the day and sleep. Yes it does effect your health in the long run but my mental health thanks me for it :)

In my opinion, someone who is an alcoholic is someone who let's drink impact them or their families life's negatively. And there is quite a few of them in my family. Including my mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,707 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Either way, the more important point is that a daily consumption of a bottle of average strength wine is way too much. These days, beer is often 5-7% and is sold in ever larger bottles so one can get into 10 UK unit territory no bother while quietly watching the telly.
    I agree with this.

On the issue of measurements, yes, the UK "unit" is at the lower end of the scale of standard measurements used in various countries, and doesn't correspeond to the drinks commonly or typically served here. Then again, nowadays it also doesn't correspond to the drinks commonly or typically served in the UK; a 100ml glass of wine would look pretty miserly nowadays. Equally, the Irish "standard drink" is much smaller than the typical drinks served in Ireland.

In this respect the "unit" terminology has one merit; it doesn't pretend to be a standard or typical drink, and people will not instinctively assume that "a drink" = 1 unit. Whereas the Irish terminology does lend itself to that misunderstanding.

I rarely think of 1 UK unit equalling one drink. I’d have to be drinking a 355 ml bottle of 3% beer for that and still leave some behind. Typically, a bottle of beer in Canada will contain 1.7 - 1.8 UK units.

Cirrhosis affects a minority of heavy drinkers clinically; steatohepatitis and fibrosis are more common. As we all know, however, liver disease is just the tip of the iceberg regarding the woes alcohol brings on our heads, whether we drink or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

They had good genes. They reckon about 5% of the human pop can get away with life long hard living.

The vast majority of people though are going to be eventually affected by long term bad lifestyle choices.
    "They had good genes". Be careful though about genes. You could have bad genes. They say diarahoea runs in the genes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

They had good genes. They reckon about 5% of the human pop can get away with life long hard living.

The vast majority of people though are going to be eventually affected by long term bad lifestyle choices.

63.7% of statistics are made up fact!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

killanena wrote: »
    I'd have a 2-3 cans/bottles most nights when I'm working. Helps me relax, forget about the day and sleep. Yes it does effect your health in the long run but my mental health thanks me for it :)

In my opinion, someone who is an alcoholic is someone who let's drink impact them or their families life's negatively. And there is quite a few of them in my family. Including my mother.
    Is an alcoholic not someone who is dependent on alcohol. Can you knock those 2-3 cans in the head or do you need them every single day?

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    63.7% of statistics are made up fact!
    True. Abraham Lincoln denied he plagiarised his speeches from the internet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Wine's a dodgy one to get too fond of because if you ever get to the stage of wanting just one more glass after you finish the bottle and open another, you'll probably start to polish off the second one too. At least beer comes in single-serve packs and spirits don't go off.

Yeah I know there's those mini bottles of wine, but only weirdos buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

B0jangles wrote: »

You'll find the mini bottles in this aisle :

4tFg8Lr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do you have regular sexual intercourse?

Do you also have your suspicions about what "enjoying a bottle of wine" really means?
    Form an easy Burgundy all the way up to a debilitating Chianti.

Only the days I work, so 4 nights a week usually. I rarely go out or drink on my days off. I need something to relax after work as usually by the time I get home, I've 3-4 hours before I have to go to bed and get up again the next morning. I just can't relax or sit still as my job can be very physically demanding at times. Especially this time of year.

I do skip it every so often, if I'm feeling unwell or have something else important to do after work etc.

I don't really get tispy either, 2 or 3 over a 4 hour period with the tolerance I've built up. I don't see it as a problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Only the days I work, so 4 nights a week usually. I rarely go out or drink on my days off. I need something to relax after work as usually by the time I get home, I've 3-4 hours before I have to go to bed and get up again the next morning. I just can't relax or sit still as my job can be very physically demanding at times. Especially this time of year.

I do skip it every so often, if I'm feeling unwell or have something else important to do after work etc.

I don't really get tispy either, 2 or 3 over a 4 hour period with the tolerance I've built up. I don't see it as a problem.
    If you came home from a busy day at work and had no beer would you be fine about it or would your first thought be I have to get some cans/bottles ?

Edgware wrote: »
    True. Abraham Lincoln denied he plagiarised his speeches from the internet

Ah but there was no internet when Lincoln was about......got you there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

If you are drinking a bottle of wine, you know yourself that you are in trouble and well on the way to alcoholism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I stopped off for a bite to eat the other day (in a dunnes stores restaurant, high roller that I am)
    I noticed that the woman at the next table was drinking one of those little bottles, from the bottle too, not even sneakily from a paper cup the savage.

I thought to myself, that's a bit weird but sure each to their own, but then when I got up to leave and I had to walk past her, I also copped that she was looking at sex toys on her phone.:D

Ah but there was no internet when Lincoln was about......got you there
    Not true. How could General Washington have used Google Maps so before he crossed the Delaware? You're not really thinking out this fake news thing are you?

• Advertisement

I stopped off for a bite to eat the other day (in a dunnes stores restaurant, high roller that I am)
    I noticed that the woman at the next table was drinking one of those little bottles, from the bottle too, not even sneakily from a paper cup the savage.

I thought to myself, that's a bit weird but sure each to their own, but then when I got up to leave and I had to walk past her, I also copped that she was looking at sex toys on her phone.:D
    If you know what you are doing a small wine bottle can be a sex toy too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

abff wrote:
    I have my bloods taken every year or so and ask my GP to check for liver function as part of the tests. So far, I've come up within the normal range, but I am concerned that I probably drink more than is good for me.
    I'm too lazy to post the youtube link but check out the documentary "drinkers like me" the Adrian Chiles documentary a very insightful doc about heavy social drinking you"ll probably know the answer to your question
    +1 for the Adrian Chiles documentary. It's quite interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX2opvj7WE8

He also has blood tests which come back with normal results but a scan showed early signs of liver damage.

Wine's a dodgy one to get too fond of because if you ever get to the stage of wanting just one more glass after you finish the bottle and open another, you'll probably start to polish off the second one too. At least beer comes in single-serve packs and spirits don't go off.

But they are a great fit for the handbag

Not true. How could General Washington have used Google Maps so before he crossed the Delaware? You're not really thinking out this fake news thing are you?

Surprised he trusted google maps.

Surprised he trusted google maps.
    Well they worked for Christopher Columbus and Marco Polo so why not.

If you know what you are doing a small wine bottle can be a sex toy too

OP - so, when you said you enjoyed a bottle of wine every day..........;)

• Advertisement

Well they worked for Christopher Columbus and Marco Polo so why not.

Didn’t know they went back that far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Up till very recently I was in the same boat - drinking too much. Wine while cooking dinner, wine with dinner, beer or even a whiskey later. I'd have the guilts in the morning, but by the following evening I was back at it again.

Funnily enough, about 6 months ago I got seriously into going to the gym, weight lifting, getting in shape. There was a bit of a cross over between that and the drinking, till it got to the point where I was like "what am I doing?" The drinking was undoing the effort I was making in the gym.

It was the same when I gave up smoking - something just needed to click. Now, I've upped my gym routine, far more intensive, and I get a huge buzz from it, and I sleep like a baby at night. I was relieved to know I wasn't an alcoholic, as I went from drinking every day to not drinking everyday, without withdrawls or the temptation to go at it again.

I'll still enjoy a beer or two at the weekend, but the bottles of wine aren't a feature anymore (they were on Friday at my Christmas party though - but that's an exception ;)). Still get the odd few pangs, but the bigger picture (me looking awesome on the beach next summer) is getting me through it. :)

OP - find other things to do at the weekend, that require driving. That way you can't drink. So, go to the cinema. Drive to a friend's house for a visit. Drive somewhere for a night time walk. Go to the gym. Get into bed at like 8pm and read for the rest of the night (who wants to drink in bed?). Fill up your evenings with alternatives to drinking, and then enjoy a few glasses over the weekend.

Routine / boredom. That's all it is. PM me if you want any tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Serious answer, yes.

I am an ex-alcholic, the type who has been to AA and hospital over it.

I'm clean now, but I would say for sure a bottle of wine a night alone is addiction. You might be early stage enough to stop and early not to notice the effects yet, but if you keep going you will not be able to be without it. Also you are damaging your body severely.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

myshirt wrote: »
    More than 3 bottles of wine to yourself each week, consistently, yes you certainly are an alcoholic. No question about it. The issue is there is no social shame in wine, it's cans of Dutch Mould or bottles of Linden Village where we frown on people but without the doubt the highest volume of alcoholics is women in their early 40's drinking wine. They are such alcoholics that they will deny it to the ground.

I wouldn't class you as a roaring alcoholic however so hopefully you can cut it out. You'll never beat that Patrick Losty guy, the man who sank about 45 pints in the space of 2 hours. Pure disgrace. Went home and had a fry, and went at it again the following day. It's just not on that people laugh at that. That's a serious problem. The man didn't even take a toilet break, he just kept drinking.

Absolute legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

My question is, when you've stopped, how long does it take your body to go back to "normal"? Are the impacts of heavy drinking over a long period of time (a year let's say) irreversible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Theres lots of different effects that take different amounts of time to heal. Certain cancer risks seem to return to normal after 15 or so years similar to people who stop smoking, it depends how much you consume and how long you did it for though, a year would not be a considered a long period of time in the studies I saw though, they were all of people who drank heavy lifelong

Keano wrote: »
    If you came home from a busy day at work and had no beer would you be fine about it or would your first thought be I have to get some cans/bottles ?

I don't feel I am dependent on it, went last week without it as we had our staff Christmas night out last Friday and yes I did miss it after work, found it hard to sleep but I always have beer there as I buy in slabs to save money so if I had a lack of willpower it wouldn't take me more then a second to crack one open.

I do question myself on the matter at times though. Growing up with a very abusive mother has left a fear of becoming like her as I am a father now too. Im also only 25. Most of my peers would what you'd consider binge drink weekly and if not drink some other form of recreational substance or both :D

Edit: Regarding the OP, My mum started like that also, She had a bottle every night. She worked hard, 3 different jobs, 3 kids, one with severe autism(just over a year younger then me), my dad didn't work anymore as he has health issues. What set her off the rails was loosing all 3 jobs at the start of the recession, her dad and brother dying, my brother getting much worse and require much more attention as he got older into the mid teens and debt too.

She was now drinking several bottles a day, not leaving the bed. Hiding vodka in water bottles, drinking in public. Once I got a call off her to come help her bring home shopping. When I got to where she was, she was passed out non-responsive on a stone bench by a river, empty bottle on the ground beside her, had to call an ambulance and my dad. She OD'd twice on prescription medications.
    Attempted suicide was the second OD. Had my brother taken in care and my sister into foster care.
    I was nearly 18 at the time and was given the option by my social worker if I wanted to go into care too. I choose not too. I at the time was confused and very angry myself as I helped keep the family going when my mam was up in her bed and my dad was barely holding it together.
    I Missed a lot of school, faked being sick constantly just so I could be there to help my dad get my sister up, fed and out for school and the long process of getting my brother through the day was the toughest and my dad couldn't handle it alone. It took over an hour to get him dressed, 10-30 minutes to get him past every threshold of the house, same with getting in and out of the car. By the time we got him to his school it was maybe 12pm and having to repeat this process just 3 hours later was just hell. Much more so for him though Id say. I remember a time my mam tried to force him past the threshold of our hall and living room and he got violent for the first time ever with her which made her sink even deeper into the drink.

All it takes is life to turn sour and you could find yourself depending on it more. I keep this in the front of my mind always.
    My mam is doing a lot better now, she went to rehab and still attends AA meetings. Has a job again. Sometimes she still relapses though but its getting less regular, in-fact she hasn't at all now sense last Christmas. My sister was allowed to return home at 17, my brother is still in care but we visit weekly and he is happier and is receiving the therapy he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

scopper wrote: »
    I am an ex-alcholic.

There is no such thing!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

My question is, when you've stopped, how long does it take your body to go back to "normal"? Are the impacts of heavy drinking over a long period of time (a year let's say) irreversible?

The liver is very regenerative - you really do need to put the hours in to fúck your liver up!

It's not the only damage heavy drinking causes though. Probably the worst damage is the interpersonal toll.

We all like to think that when we drink we turn into Oscar Wilde style raconteurs, delighting all around us with witty quips and razor sharp observations, but the reality is most problem drinkers are just total dicks!

Your liver will be shiny and new long before the missus comes back and the driving ban expires, or the boss forgets you called him a fat wanker then puked on his wifes shoes:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

jacksn wrote: »
    I went on holiday to France last year, over there I enjoyed a lot of wine and since then I would have a bottle of wine every day, I feel like I can stop anytime but I do enjoy it.. am I a dipso?

You certainly drink too much alcohol.

However to be an alcoholic you have to have an inability to stop or control the amount you drink.

You should try and stop drinking for a few weeks. If you can do this then you may have a problem.

If you succeed in stopping for a few weeks then try and drink just one glass of wine. If you're unable to stop after just one glass then you may have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The liver is very regenerative - you really do need to put the hours in to fúck your liver up!

It's not the only damage heavy drinking causes though. Probably the worst damage is the interpersonal toll.

We all like to think that when we drink we turn into Oscar Wilde style raconteurs, delighting all around us with witty quips and razor sharp observations, but the reality is most problem drinkers are just total dicks!

Your liver will be shiny and new long before the missus comes back and the driving ban expires, or the boss forgets you called him a fat wanker then puked on his wifes shoes:D

Speaking from experience?

Here’s a gizmo that claims to solve that problem with wine:

https://www.coravin.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

To wine own self be true

Speaking from experience?

Of course not - I'm that 1 in a million, Oscar Wilde style raconteur!
    And anyway, I was never a puker :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Of course not - I'm that 1 in a million, Oscar Wilde style raconteur!
    And anyway, I was never a puker :D

I know - all the "office babies" resemble you ? :p

• Advertisement

OP I also enjoy a bottle of wine a night. Pretty harmless I thought, until I spoke to my GP and during the routine "How much do you smoke/drink" questions I saw her reaction.. she told me I have a drinking problem and is now sending me for blood tests to check my liver and vitamin levels etc, and has asked me to check in with an addictions service. I think I knew deep down I had a problem but it was a big wake up call for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

OP I also enjoy a bottle of wine a night. Pretty harmless I thought, until I spoke to my GP and during the routine "How much do you smoke/drink" questions I saw her reaction.. she told me I have a drinking problem and is now sending me for blood tests to check my liver and vitamin levels etc, and has asked me to check in with an addictions service. I think I knew deep down I had a problem but it was a big wake up call for me :(

I think a lot of people think its rather innocent because wine is so socially acceptable to drink alone, casually and or at home

Theres 25% more alcohol content in a bottle of wine than a naggin of vodka or whiskey which teenagers neck before heading out clubbing for the night! Sounds like a lot more when you put it that way than saying oh its a few glasses of a lovely red wine the dinner

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people think its rather innocent because wine is so socially acceptable to drink alone, casually and or at home

Theres 25% more alcohol content in a bottle of wine than a naggin of vodka or whiskey which teenagers neck before heading out clubbing for the night! Sounds like a lot more when you put it that way than saying oh its a few glasses of a lovely red wine the dinner

Absolutely. I found myself justifying it to my housemate by saying "God I deserve this after the day I've had", and when you get into the habit of it it starts to feel completely normal until you realize that it probably isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

Hi gang - thanks for all the comments, I thought I would post an update on my week and I can report the following.

There is plenty of booze in our house so I don't have to go far if I want a beer or glass of wine.

Tuesday - no alcohol
    Wednesday - 1 bottle beer watching Match of the Day
    Thursday - no alcohol
    Friday - 3 glasses of Red
    Saturday - 2 Bottles beer
    Sunday - 1 Pint at family Christmas lunch

To add some context, this is how it would USUALLY have spent the week, especially with a family lunch event

Tuesday - Half to full bottle Red Wine, easy
    Wednesday - 3 bottles beer watching Match of the Day, easy
    Thursday - Probably would have none
    Friday - Full bottle Red Wine
    Saturday - Half to full bottle Red Wine + 3 Bottles beer
    Sunday - 3-5 Pints minimum at family Christmas lunch with some wine and more in the evening.

I am setting myself the target as going on the dry fro 3 months in the new year and between now and then to slowly cut down.. i dont want to stop now as i want to enjoy my Christmas.. its not a case of that I "can't stop now" i would rather enjoy the season and in the new year go on the dry for at least 3 months.

For the next 2 weeks I am only going out one night with friends, normally i would easily be out 3-4 days of the week meeting others or finding others to meet but between now and Christmas Im only going out once.

I don't think I have a dependency, its just a bad habit I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You can't enjoy Christmas without alcohol?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    You can't enjoy Christmas without alcohol?

I probably could, but i dont want to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

And thats the answer to the question you posed in your OP right there.

Right..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I don't feel I am dependent on it, went last week without it as we had our staff Christmas night out last Friday and yes I did miss it after work, found it hard to sleep but I always have beer there as I buy in slabs to save money so if I had a lack of willpower it wouldn't take me more then a second to crack one open.

I do question myself on the matter at times though. Growing up with a very abusive mother has left a fear of becoming like her as I am a father now too. Im also only 25. Most of my peers would what you'd consider binge drink weekly and if not drink some other form of recreational substance or both :D

You said in a previous post that you need it to relax, "forget the day", and to sleep. Whether or not your dependant on it, beer isn't the way to deal with this stuff, especially at 25 years old! And with your family history, you're just asking for trouble. If you keep at it, how many beers do you think you'll need to forget the day and relax when you're 35?

If you have trouble sleeping/relaxing, then try and remedy this by other means, more exercise etc. If you're working irregular hours, then look at getting a job with regular hours that doesn't have a knock on effect to sleeping etc. Alcohol isn't the answer here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not really. Replace "alcohol" with "mince pies" in your question, and you'll see why someone "not wanting" to enjoy Xmas without alcohol, doesn't make them an alcoholic.

This speaks to my earlier post where people are too broad on what makes someone an alcoholic. It's not a game of "dare", where if you challenge someone to not drink for a month and they choose not to, they're automatically a dipso.

OP, you're doing well, especially with the house full of booze.
    I'd be inclined to say that you should be aiming to cut it out at home completely; even the bottle of beer watching match of the day is the point where it's easiest to fall back into the trap.

This week is going to be the hardest, because it's week two - it sounds insane but if you can manage to remove all of the alcohol from your house, I would advise it. Even just bring it someone else's house; "Can you hold onto this for me, it's our Xmas stash", or something. Get it out of your sight, makes it harder to rationalise it to yourself when you're running to the shop at 9:45pm just to get a bottle of wine.

Advertisement