Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the Communist Party of Ireland unpopular?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 16 Ubi feles est?

I'm just asking about a Lenin-style revolution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Asked and answered already.

But you know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

I'm just curious that why the party doesn't have any seats and if or why not a Lenin-style revolution would happen.

Back in the early decades of the twrntieth century bolshevism was a significant political movement and force in industrial cities in Germany, France etc. Its support base was typically working class men in factories.

ROI was an agrarian ecomomy and society. The RCC who are a great enemy of communism was firmly rooted here at the time and was a strong influe ce on politics and ordinary peoples views.

• Site Banned Posts: 16 Ubi feles est?

True.

Because it's a proven failed ideology .

There have been 0 communist states anywhere in history. If Ireland were to become one via revolution or vote we would be the first communist state, and would therefore have the capacity to improve on the ideology and set an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

Ok.

No. Because only a very small minority see anything remotely attractive in the concept of communism.

I dunno. When Fianna Fail were Communist, the louder CnaG/FG said the were, the more popular they became:D:D:D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There have been 0 communist states anywhere in history. If Ireland were to become one via revolution or vote we would be the first communist state, and would therefore have the capacity to improve on the ideology and set an example.

I'd be genuinely interested in how your definition of a Communist State differs from the accepted norm of " a state that is administered and governed by a single party, guided by Marxist-Leninist philosophy, with the aim of achieving communism."; of which there are several examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭overshoot

Because capitalism, every cnut wants more stuff than all the other cnuts, and the reason why communism in its purest form never works.
    I would have said it fails because a complete and utter waster gets as much as the person who works hard, or the menial job will get the same as the difficult highly skilled/pressured job. Therefore there is no incentive to work let alone to better yourself and if people dont grow, improve themselves, it follows the state wont.
    In other words, communism, nice in principle... but forgets human nature...

I'd be genuinely interested in how your definition of a Communist State differs from the accepted norm of " a state that is administered and governed by a single party, guided by Marxist-Leninist philosophy, with the aim of achieving communism."; of which there are several examples.

Well I'm pretty sure there are none at the moment that actually practice communism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

As above.

Also, why do they not field candidates at elections?

They do.

Although they call themselves SF, PBP etc as its less scary sounding.

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    I would have said it fails because a complete and utter waster gets as much as the person who works hard, or the menial job will get the same as the difficult highly skilled/pressured job. Therefore there is no incentive to work let alone to better yourself and if people dont grow, improve themselves, it follows the state wont.
    In other words, communism, nice in principle... but forgets human nature...

Your behind the curve my friend, a little Deng Xiaoping thought will bring you up to speed. There's big changes coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Ah but thats not real communism
    Or something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

What I'm asking is if they were to field candidates at the next general election would they get seats? If not, why not?
    Maybe you should check out how successful they were when we could see how well the oul communism worked in Russia, Cuba, Albania etc

Edgware wrote: »
    Maybe you should check out how successful they were when we could see how well the oul communism worked in Russia, Cuba, Albania etc

Was that not at the same time as the Sticks became a mass party & gained seats in the Dail election after election. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Because Irish people have common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It’s a failed idealogy.

I’ve just watched a documentary about the illicit doping of underage East German athletes back in the days, all to show off to the world the might of Communism. Creepy as fück. Creepy things tend to put people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm just curious that why the party doesn't have any seats and if or why not a Lenin-style revolution would happen.

Because when they did run they barely hit triple figures in the *two constituencies they ran in

*Maybe three, I can't remember

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

we have SF to fill the marxist/communist void in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

It’s a failed idealogy.

I’ve just watched a documentary about the illicit doping of underage East German athletes back in the days, all to show off to the world the might of Communism. Creepy as fück. Creepy things tend to put people off.

Creepy, but not half as creepy as the documents and videos they found in the Stasi files. In East Germany under Communism, there was zero concept of privacy and freedom.

East Germany was the most Orwellian project in the history of the world. Thank God that Irish people have their heads screwed on when it comes to Communism......a victory for the Communist Party of Ireland is a snowball's chance in hell.

Daily life in a Communist state is straight out of George Orwell's 1984.

Interestingly, Angela Merkel was involved in the East Germany state during her younger years. Why this hasn't been investigated further I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I am being serious. Could the equivalent of the Lenin-led Russian revolution happen here?

If not, why not?
    Go with the idea of free stuff, everyone equal, profit is bad, and you end up with the state employing four million people to make boring products.
    And everyone is worse off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

As the others have already mentioned it's a failed ideology, pure evil and destructive. And, as the one who experienced living in the former communist controlled stated back in '80 ties, I can tell you for sure - please hang anyone who is even remotely suggesting communism. Evil must be removed at the very earliest stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

Go with the idea of free stuff, everyone equal, profit is bad, and you end up with the state employing four million people to make boring products.
    And everyone is worse off.

except that in communism some always have been way more equal than others and same rules don't apply. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Get Real

DS86DS wrote: »

Interestingly, Angela Merkel was involved in the East Germany state during her younger years. Why this hasn't been investigated further I don't know.

I'm open to correction on this, but as far as I'm aware, she entered politics in East Germany in 1989 in order to change that system. Which subsequently happened. She wasn't involved in the governing of East Germany as it was run back then.

She was involved in the movement to make it democratic, and is anti communist. So to say she was involved in the East German state is unfair imo. Based on what I understand anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Technically everyone who was ever born in, or lived in East Germany was "involved" in the East German state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

As above.

Also, why do they not field candidates at elections?

According to Wikipedia, they fielded 2 candidates in the 2014 local elections (Combined 215 votes)
    And a woman called Lynda Walker ran in Cork North West General Elections 2016 (185 votes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

its a lot to do with human nature, human beings are predominantly greedy therefore capitalism always wins out over communism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think after 1990 communism lost all credibility. It now only exists in what two countries one of which is north Korea.
    But even in it's heyday it never got much traction here. Nationalism took centre stage . We also didn't have that much of a working class to ignite any class struggle.
    Throw in the dominance of the church which meant supporting an atheist party was difficult for pious paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Would they get the Latin vote?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I think after 1990 communism lost all credibility. It now only exists in what two countries one of which is north Korea.

The other is China with 1.3 billion people + 100 million more in Vietnam!

I don't know what Russia would call itself but its not a democracy and there's an awful lot of state involvement in private business. Plus they have a "president" for life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭emptyhouse2222

to be fair to the commies
    they have one good point about divvying up the land of ireland and giving every citizen 5 acres
    that would be amazing, instead of living on top of each other in horrible estates everyone has their own little 5 acre patch

Advertisement