Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small tipper truck

• 23-10-2018 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,

im in the process of buying a transit tipper are 7.5/10 ton tipper truck

does any one know the running cost of the above vehicles ?

i have my arctic licences so no issue with driving a truck.
    i just need to figure out which option would be best for my landscaping business

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sorry, are you saying a 7.5/10t vs a Transit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Golden Landscapes

yes,

sorry abit unclear ion my first post , i want to know the pros and cons of both the transit tipper and the 7.5ton tipper ,running cost and what not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you looked at the practicalities of having a bigger truck day to day, do you need to get into driveways, park on street etc?

The only small tippers I have experience of is the Dyna 150 3.5 ton, which was a joke of a thing because the payload was so small, think the payload was only 750kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

We currently run both a 2005 transit tipper & Daf 45 tipper

The obvious advantage and one of only a few (For our case anyway) for the transit is that it doesnt have a tachograph, CPCs arent needed etc and anybody working for us with a car license can drive it no problem

the main problems we have found with the transit

- its legal capacity is little over a tonne note the body on ours is quite heavy but even so with a lighter body your not talking about great gains

- for what it carrys it is heavy on diesel when fully laden we are getting approx 12-15 mpg and empty is not significantly better

As for the Daf empty or running light we average 18mpg fully laden about 15mpg with a good pilot

it is rated for 7.5t and empty is 4.8T i should note that our is kitted out with a atlas crane and has a clamshell for grabbing muck stone etc so it does add weight

driving in the city and getting into tight spaces there is no difference between the two the daf is probably even easier got in as as it has a serious steering lock

the only note id make is if we were upgrading our daf we would have it as it is but in the 12t version just simply to give us that little bit more legal weight.

if youve anymore questions feel free to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Golden Landscapes

Thanks Kevin,

I run my own landscaping company, i would think 7.5/12 ton would suit better than a transit from what you say about the mpg difference , i have a small van for my general running around but i would use the truck when out cutting hedges and cutting lawns when i would be collecting the grass from larger areas i could tip into the tipper, it be towing a trailer must the them i would think.

i currently use a tractor and trailer to move my 3 ton and to bring loads of stone to jobs, i find it awkward in town and in tight spots, i would to sell the tractor and use the funds to buy a daf truck are something similar. the pay load of the truck wouldn't be as high but it would be faster on the road a faster turn around time i would hope on jobs.

how do you find the insurance on your tipper?
    do you use a tacko are do you work whiten in 80kmh of your base ?

i will probably have more question for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Thanks Kevin,

I run my own landscaping company, i would think 7.5/12 ton would suit better than a transit from what you say about the mpg difference , i have a small van for my general running around but i would use the truck when out cutting hedges and cutting lawns when i would be collecting the grass from larger areas i could tip into the tipper, it be towing a trailer must the them i would think.

i currently use a tractor and trailer to move my 3 ton and to bring loads of stone to jobs, i find it awkward in town and in tight spots, i would to sell the tractor and use the funds to buy a daf truck are something similar. the pay load of the truck wouldn't be as high but it would be faster on the road a faster turn around time i would hope on jobs.

how do you find the insurance on your tipper?
    do you use a tacko are do you work whiten in 80kmh of your base ?

i will probably have more question for you

Modern tractors will do 50km/h and with a multi purpose trailer should suit your needs. Won’t be any more awkward in tight spots. Distance from base might be an issue . Trucks can cost a lot to keep roadworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

We had it Tacho Exempt last year but decided to get it calibrated this year as from anybody we were talking to they reckon the 80k exemption isnt worth the paper its written on they said trying to explain it to a gaurd in the first place is a job in itself and than proving it all is another ball games so for our case anyway its just handier to run with it,

As for insurance we have all under a fleet policy from Finagl Insurance one policy for all our insurance i.e motor public liability, employee,working a height & Digging dept cover

Advertisement