Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you racist?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Mister love thy neighbour here

There's a pattern across this thread and indeed the whole forum: Travellers are the only group that it's acceptable to verbally express hatred for. Replace Traveller with "Black" or "Jew" and acceptability levels plummet. It's that old imperialist and subsequently fascist policy of "Dehumanise them first, and then you can justify anything against them."

Complete and utter BS. Where have Irish people Dehumanised Travellers? They've received their recognition of separate ethnic status, they receive funding from the state for being a "disadvantaged" group, and other benefits that are available to Irish people in general. They have complete legal equality with any other Irish person.

Travellers are discriminated against because of how their subculture (if we assume they're actually part of Irish culture, which I doubt) interacts with Irish people. People have drawn their own opinions on Travellers not from other people, or "fascist" ideology/education, but from their own experiences with them.

Replace Traveller with Blacks or Jews and you remove the decades of negative experience we have had with them... and even then, there is no history of groups of Irish people killing Travellers. (unless we're including local groups who push them out after they wreck someones land)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Are travelers a race? If they are then I'm a racist. I can't them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Are travelers a race? If they are then I'm a racist. I can't them.

I think you forgot something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

There's a pattern across this thread and indeed the whole forum: Travellers are the only group that it's acceptable to verbally express hatred for. Replace Traveller with "Black" or "Jew" and acceptability levels plummet. It's that old imperialist and subsequently fascist policy of "Dehumanise them first, and then you can justify anything against them."
    Will you give over comparing Travellers to Blacks or Jews. Irish people didn't bring Travellers here from another country and enslave them. Irish people didn't try to wipe out Travellers by building death camps and shoving them in ovens. THEY came HERE about four hundred years ago. We owe them nothing, yet they are still not satisfied with being funded by the settled community. They don't value education or careers. They want all the perks of the settled community but none of the responsibilities.

The truth is not that Irish people dehumanise Travellers, they are afraid of them. Afraid of the violence and thieving. Travellers have absolutely no respect for settled people and you can kid yourself that it's because settled people are mean. It's because they want to carry on doing what they like with no consideration for settled people. Any settled person who is wary of Travellers isn't racist, they have a healthy dose of self preservation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Locked for the same reason as the Trans thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement