Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collections for people in work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if someone is leaving and i liked them, then by all means i'll give a few quid and sign the card...but if someone was an @sshole to me then NO..i'm not going to be a hypocrite and pretend i like them and i don't care how much peer pressure is put on me

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

I have almost always chipped in for these in previous employment but now I look at it with a more jaundiced eye.
    We have a good lad leaving next week, who through no fault of his own is trying to get by on short term contracts, definitely yes.
    The next two shortly after ,full PS pensions, stole a living from the taxpayer ,
    I would like to contribute a boot in the hole to each as they went through the door.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Slightly off topic here but by far the most ridiculous thing some people try to collect money off you for is a 'charity skydive'. .
    The statistics on this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10476298
    All parachute injuries from two local parachute centres over a 5-year period were analysed. Of 174 patients with injuries of varying severity, 94% were first-time charity-parachutists. The injury rate in charity-parachutists was 11% at an average cost of 3751 Pounds per casualty. Sixty-three percent of casualties who were charity-parachutists required hospital admission, representing a serious injury rate of 7%, at an average cost of 5781 Pounds per patient. The amount raised per person for charity was 30 Pounds. Each pound raised for charity cost the NHS 13.75 Pounds in return. Parachuting for charity costs more money than it raises, carries a high risk of serious personal injury and places a significant burden on health resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Years ago I started a new job and the girl I was replacing was training me in but obviously leaving. My first day and someone comes round collecting, tenner a head. I thought she'd have the cop on not to ask me given i'd barely met the girl. No! Of course I could have told her as much but that prob wouldn't have looked great either, so although I wasn't paid til 5 weeks and barely had money fir lunch til then I had to pull a tenner outta somewhere for a girl id never worked with! Rageballs I was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

It used to be a tradition in my line of work to have a collection for Bastard Tuesday. Everyone chipped in a few quid each and then a name was drawn from a hat and the winner got all the money. It's died out a bit in the last few years though.

The name comes from the fact that Tuesday is the sh1ttest day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Years ago I started a new job and the girl I was replacing was training me in but obviously leaving. My first day and someone comes round collecting, tenner a head. I thought she'd have the cop on not to ask me given i'd barely met the girl. No! Of course I could have told her as much but that prob wouldn't have looked great either, so although I wasn't paid til 5 weeks and barely had money fir lunch til then I had to pull a tenner outta somewhere for a girl id never worked with! Rageballs I was!

Should have got up and said 'Actually, I think I'll quit, so can you go around and collect a tenner off everyone for me as well?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Never understood the collection for someone who is leaving, if they're leaving it's generally to a better job!

Advertisement