Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collections for people in work

• 04-09-2016 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a collection every second week in my job. Someone leaving, someone's birthday etc. I don't mind and I usually give a few Euro if I know them well, but its not done for everyone. It seems to be only done for the more popular people. There are workers there years who get nothing. Is this a common thing in your job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

We get a card and send it round for weddings and when people have babies only. I have never seen a card go round for a birthday, that's usually just between a few close friends.
    We do get all the usual cards for charities and most I would give something too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

We only do collections for significant birthdays so maybe it's not to do with the people and more to do with if their birthday/age is significant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One place I worked had a voluntary scheme that the salaries section helped out with, where people could volunteer a small fixed amount each month and cards and bunches of flowers were taken out of that. Every now and again if there was a surplus built up they would get in goodies for break time. Worked very well, a few people did not do it but no-one got uptight about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah it was done in the last job I was in, got a few bob myself when I was leaving but I used it to buy a round for the lads when we met for a few pints on my last day.

I remember one fella said he was leaving and he took the money and a few days later came back when he changed his mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I used to get annoyed at this too when I worked in an office, even though a few euro here and there would hardly break me considering I had a wage. NowI'm unemployed nearly two years and having to buy birthday gifts etc actually does put me under pressure. If I am lucky enough to get back into employment in this joke of a country I won't be minding the whip arounds I can tell you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm in the army, so most lads are pretty damn fit ~ I dread what I call sponsorship season. You know that time of year when people decide they're running for charities and it seems like everyone in the unit has a chosen charity, well that pisses me right the fook off!.

Worse then is the kunt who sponsors the fooker for a twenty or a fifty right on the line above your miserable €2-

Well slightly different to what the OP is talking about, but you're being fleeced none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I worked in a place that was absolutely ridiculous for leaving/birthday/ Get Well Soon cards. When I left I got two cards, both signed by most of the staff. Turned out that they were so used to having cards go around that they didn't even notice that they had doubled up by mistake.

Normally there wouldn't be collections though, luckily enough (or sadly in my case - missed out on double presents :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Unless I was part of a very small, close knit group of colleagues (no more than three or four) I would absolutely not be coughing up a few euro for such personal events as birthdays or someone leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Used to happen in a few places I worked - it was a bit ridiculous because in one team there was about 20 employees so every month there was a collection. The manager banned it and there was uproar.

In my other team it was banned in the staff handbook when I started. It started becoming a regular thing and there was about 30 in the team. The thing was though they didnt include everyone so it got heckles up and there were complaints.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

In my workplace there's collections for: leaving the job, significant birthdays, babies, serious illnesses, family deaths, weddings, (probably more - I can't recall right now :) )

It's a personal choice whether one signs the card and throws a few euro in the bag. A lot of us do. A few of the lads (from the east side of Europe) don't put in anything but that's their choice.

It's a nice thing to do and it's not very often so I don't mind contributing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I contribute if I know/like the person, otherwise I just toss it over the desk.

We'd have 3 cards going around a day sometimes - it would wreck your head.

I am still gearing up to writing 'see you now, you MOFO' on someone's leaving card. Just for the hell of it.

In my workplace there's collections for: leaving the job, significant birthdays, babies, serious illnesses, family deaths, weddings, (probably more - I can't recall right now :) )

It's a nice thing to do and it's not very often so I don't mind contributing.
    Fairly contradictory!
    It's a personal choice whether one signs the card and throws a few euro in the bag. A lot of us do. A few of the lads (from the east side of Europe) don't put in anything but that's their choice.
    Great bunch of lads. They're dead right too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Slightly off topic here but by far the most ridiculous thing some people try to collect money off you for is a 'charity skydive'. You're collecting for something that usually most people pay 100's of euro to do for out of their own pocket, and people see it as a 'once in a lifetime experience'.

Throw the word charity onto it though and you can get it all for free. It's so goddam cheeky in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

In my old job it was relentless, birthdays for popular staff members who revealed their birth date, cards, gifts, balloons, cakes, sing happy birthday, then there's leaving cards, maternity cards, promotion cards, collection for someone who has had a baby, sponsored walks, runs, crawls, save the whales and save the children, congratulations cards and well done for completing the sponsored walk!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Never seen that before, "Sorry to hear about your mother passing away but we had a whip round for you so here's €27.50"....sounds weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

Slightly off topic here but by far the most ridiculous thing some people try to collect money off you for is a 'charity skydive'. You're collecting for something that usually most people pay 100's of euro to do for out of their own pocket, and people see it as a 'once in a lifetime experience'.

Throw the word charity onto it though and you can get it all for free. It's so goddam cheeky in my opinion.

That's not how it works, you have to raise money for the charity and not just for the jump.
    I don't mind this as it's not something I would do ie parachute jump so fair play to anyone who does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There's always the hope that the parachute fails.

Fairly contradictory!

There's only 21 of us, probably have about 2 cards a year at most!

Great bunch of lads. They're dead right too.

Too far east... ;) but they are a nice bunch of lads in fairness.

kfallon wrote: »
    Never seen that before, "Sorry to hear about your mother passing away but we had a whip round for you so here's €27.50"....sounds weird

Hahahaha : D that's a weird idea alright. No, its to buy flowers and a sympathy card to be sent to the grieving workmate. I think it's a nice idea.

Amanda.ie wrote: »
    That's not how it works, you have to raise money for the charity and not just for the jump.
    I don't mind this as it's not something I would do ie parachute jump so fair play to anyone who does it.
    I think that poster meant the idea of a skydive compared to something like running a marathon or climbing a mountain even is a bit cheeky. Skydiving is something a lot of people would gladly pay a lot of money to do, charity aside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

We have it in our place. There use to be a cake too but they knocked that in the head recently. I'll sign a card, but only contribute when it's a wedding or its someone I know leaving. It was getting to the stage I was handing over money every other day. They don't know when it's my birthday so I have no guilt lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A lot of people come and go in my job. Most of them wouldn't get anything when they leave if they've only been there a short while, but there was one girl who was only there a few months and there was a collection for her when she left. I think she was riding half the staff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Have in-law who does Charity Walks overseas every few years.
    It's getting a bit annoying having to pay towards her foreign holidays when I haven't had one myself in a few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

The best way is to have a rule that the brown envelope is left at reception or some other designated spot for those who want to contribute - so no pressure from someone landing at your desk rattling a few coins.

I'm in the army, so most lads are pretty damn fit ~ I dread what I call sponsorship season. You know that time of year when people decide they're running for charities and it seems like everyone in the unit has a chosen charity, well that pisses me right the fook off!.

Worse then is the kunt who sponsors the fooker for a twenty or a fifty right on the line above your miserable €2-

Well slightly different to what the OP is talking about, but you're being fleeced none the less.

This just reminded me I'm running for the WWP next week. Ooops. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

We don't tend to do a whip around in my place- but for leaving/weddings/engagements we'd have cards go around.
    We do have a company tradition of treats (on the company) when there's bdays/engagements/passed exams. Not good for my waistline, but can live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Yeah it was done in the last job I was in,

I remember one fella said he was leaving and he took the money and a few days later came back when he changed his mind.

Should be added to the stingy 2 thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

A lot of people come and go in my job. Most of them wouldn't get anything when they leave if they've only been there a short while, but there was one girl who was only there a few months and there was a collection for her when she left. I think she was riding half the staff though.

Which half were you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

dev100 wrote: »
    Which half were you ?

Well I didn't contribute anything so what do you think? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I give money to charities of my choosing at times of my choosing, not because the chancer two cubicles over fancies unicycling along the great wall of china.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if someone is leaving and i liked them, then by all means i'll give a few quid and sign the card...but if someone was an @sshole to me then NO..i'm not going to be a hypocrite and pretend i like them and i don't care how much peer pressure is put on me

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

I have almost always chipped in for these in previous employment but now I look at it with a more jaundiced eye.
    We have a good lad leaving next week, who through no fault of his own is trying to get by on short term contracts, definitely yes.
    The next two shortly after ,full PS pensions, stole a living from the taxpayer ,
    I would like to contribute a boot in the hole to each as they went through the door.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Slightly off topic here but by far the most ridiculous thing some people try to collect money off you for is a 'charity skydive'. .
    The statistics on this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10476298
    All parachute injuries from two local parachute centres over a 5-year period were analysed. Of 174 patients with injuries of varying severity, 94% were first-time charity-parachutists. The injury rate in charity-parachutists was 11% at an average cost of 3751 Pounds per casualty. Sixty-three percent of casualties who were charity-parachutists required hospital admission, representing a serious injury rate of 7%, at an average cost of 5781 Pounds per patient. The amount raised per person for charity was 30 Pounds. Each pound raised for charity cost the NHS 13.75 Pounds in return. Parachuting for charity costs more money than it raises, carries a high risk of serious personal injury and places a significant burden on health resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Years ago I started a new job and the girl I was replacing was training me in but obviously leaving. My first day and someone comes round collecting, tenner a head. I thought she'd have the cop on not to ask me given i'd barely met the girl. No! Of course I could have told her as much but that prob wouldn't have looked great either, so although I wasn't paid til 5 weeks and barely had money fir lunch til then I had to pull a tenner outta somewhere for a girl id never worked with! Rageballs I was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

It used to be a tradition in my line of work to have a collection for Bastard Tuesday. Everyone chipped in a few quid each and then a name was drawn from a hat and the winner got all the money. It's died out a bit in the last few years though.

The name comes from the fact that Tuesday is the sh1ttest day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Years ago I started a new job and the girl I was replacing was training me in but obviously leaving. My first day and someone comes round collecting, tenner a head. I thought she'd have the cop on not to ask me given i'd barely met the girl. No! Of course I could have told her as much but that prob wouldn't have looked great either, so although I wasn't paid til 5 weeks and barely had money fir lunch til then I had to pull a tenner outta somewhere for a girl id never worked with! Rageballs I was!

Should have got up and said 'Actually, I think I'll quit, so can you go around and collect a tenner off everyone for me as well?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Never understood the collection for someone who is leaving, if they're leaving it's generally to a better job!

Advertisement