Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four year old undergoing sex change

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I won't be surprised if that child sues its state or needs a second gender - reassignment as an adult, after being put through this at an age when it can't possibly understand the implications and seriousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

How does the child enter into the contact ? thought it was 16 -18 to be able to legally without parental sing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

When I was 4 years old I thought Sonic The Hedgehog was real cos my sister told me so.

That kid is gonna every type of ****ed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm going back up my pole to sit it out for a few more years.
    The world has gone mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

A 4 year old knows fcuk all never mind that it should have been born a different gender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There's very little detail there. Doesn't say if it's medical treatment or just identifying differently.

I'd be hesitant about making judgements on it because of that it could be the beginnings of therapy etc. It might just be that the child is identifying differently and so they've started the process of actively counselling and studying so that if at a later stage the child is determined to be gender dysmorphic then they can, at that later stage, take action. That's smart. Study and examine just in case.

(I wrote the above and then re-read and saw that the surgical change will take place next year. That does seem far too early. The kid's only been able to speak for a few years. Although I do think there are cases were transitioning can take place before puberty I think that's too early. It's worth waiting and studying to make sure rather than risk making a mistake).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

What kind of parents would allow this at such a young age?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

EDIT:

Before I post that, can anyvody clarify what 'full transformation' would mean?

My first guess is an operation, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. Maybe it's the process of re-naming and new birth certs and so on?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Was the child born a hermaphrodite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

RobertKK wrote: »

No think it was a Pisces.

I'll get me coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unilad quoting the mirror and the evening standard.

Yeah, it would be silly to expect any useful information about this story whatsoever.

Grayson wrote: »
    There's very little detail there. Doesn't say if it's medical treatment or just identifying differently.

I'd be hesitant about making judgements on it because of that it could be the beginnings of therapy etc. It might just be that the child is identifying differently and so they've started the process of actively counselling and studying so that if at a later stage the child is determined to be gender dysmorphic then they can, at that later stage, take action. That's smart. Study and examine just in case.

(I wrote the above and then re-read and saw that the surgical change will take place next year. That does seem far too early. The kid's only been able to speak for a few years. Although I do think there are cases were transitioning can take place before puberty I think that's too early. It's worth waiting and studying to make sure rather than risk making a mistake).

I mostly agree but I wonder if the scrutiny of actively counselling and studying in itself would be harmful. I'd like to know what brought the parent/s to this point in the first place. Was it excessive scrutiny of the childs preferences or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

RobertKK wrote: »

It's likely I'd say. In the old times they would operate soon after birth to assign whatever gender the parents and doctors felt was right. Today they wait until the child starts displaying preferences, even if the child looks in a certain way initially it might prefer to be the other gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Children should be unable to make such a decision without their parents consent at least, so i have to wonder where they fall in this. Are they actually allowing their child to go through with it? I mean even transgender advocates think the child is too young. This is totally messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Every whack job connected with this decision should be jailed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

My four year old can't decide what she'd like for dinner, this level of decision making for a small child is beyond strange.

Glazers Out!

I mostly agree but I wonder if the scrutiny of actively counselling and studying in itself would be harmful. I'd like to know what brought the parent/s to this point in the first place. Was it excessive scrutiny of the childs preferences or something?
    Children have no filter, you'd be surprised how quickly and strongly gender identity asserts itself. It caught me by surprise, I always assumed you wouldn't see stereotypical boy/girl differentiation until they started school.

Since she was about 18 months, my daughter has been declaring to all and sundry that she's a girl. And while overall she'd certainly be bought more girly things than boyish ones, she has always shown a clear preference towards girly clothes and imitating her mother more than her father.
    She doesn't necessarily prefer girly toys, even decided at one point that she was going to be a builder when she grows up. But there's no denying she's a girl, even if it wasn't biologically obvious.

So I can see how you'd easily start thinking something is off if your female toddler started declaring that she was a boy or wanted to be a boy and wanted to dress like a boy and associate with male relations more than female ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

It's a 4 year old ffs how would a 4 year old know how to ask for gender reassignment??? Parents attention seeking and doctors are worse for going along with it.

seamus wrote: »
    Children have no filter, you'd be surprised how quickly and strongly gender identity asserts itself. It caught me by surprise, I always assumed you wouldn't see stereotypical boy/girl differentiation until they started school.

Since she was about 18 months, my daughter has been declaring to all and sundry that she's a girl. And while overall she'd certainly be bought more girly things than boyish ones, she has always shown a clear preference towards girly clothes and imitating her mother more than her father.
    She doesn't necessarily prefer girly toys, even decided at one point that she was going to be a builder when she grows up. But there's no denying she's a girl, even if it wasn't biologically obvious.

So I can see how you'd easily start thinking something is off if your female toddler started declaring that she was a boy or wanted to be a boy and wanted to dress like a boy and associate with male relations more than female ones.

If my toddler did I would first look at the kind of language I use around them, do I give them any reason to think that boys or girls can do certain things better, for example. That's why I want to know more about this case.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Unilad quoting the mirror and the evening standard.

Yeah, it would be silly to expect any useful information about this story whatsoever.

In the absence of a decent report I'm just assuming its bog standard outrage journalism.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

How much of that is her and how much is her environment. If you guys referred to her as a boy- good boy etc- and she was only given the choice of "male" things, maybe the odd female toy thrown in, would she still declare herself a girl? I mean it's a straight forward case- everybody knows and accepts she is a "girl".

If parents are very strict in not attributing genders and allowing "the child" (as opposed to daughter/son) develop their own gender identity I would say the child would not identify so easily.

Then again there are cases where parents do everything to attribute the "correct" gender and actively enforce it and then the child feels the opposite. It's a complex issue.

When I was four I wanted to be a boy, because I had two brothers, the older of which constantly reminding me that boys were better than girls. I was also a tomboy, I wasn't into pink and dolls. I constantly (and vocal about it too) wished I was a boy. Thank feck no one took me seriously!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

No real news outlets picking this up.. odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

seamus wrote:

So, have we thrown out the idea that gender is a social construct?

Genuine question, not trying to be a smart arse

So, have we thrown out the idea that gender is a social construct?

Genuine question, not trying to be a smart arse
    yes and no. As Tasden says, it's a complex topic.

There are some thing which are clear social constructs - pink for girls, blue for boys. Male jobs -v- female jobs, etc. These are matters of fashion, not the result of genetically determined behaviours.

Other things not so much. Most experiments which have attempted to raise children gender neutral have "failed" insofar as the genders have continued to tend towards their stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

When did doctors, scientists and other sane people become the quacks in this scenario? Seems to have become outrageous to say THERE ARE ONLY TWO SEXES.

F*ck biology is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Seems a bit strange that women are shouting loud for equality when it comes to jobs in air conditioned offices, but not so loud when it comes to jobs in the sewers or in sweeping streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Grayson wrote: »

I'll try to find it but I distinctly remember reading a study that stated 80% of young children that identify as trans don't anymore by the age of 7 or 8. Even if the study was flawed, children's fluid understanding of reality makes me question the actions of this child's parents. At 4 I wanted to be dinosaur. It's lunacy to to make assumptions about a child identity when you barely have one at that age.
    If even a minority of young trans children would prefer to identify as their own gender after growing up a bit than it is too risky to proceed until they can make full and informed consent, IMO what these parents are doing is actually doing is abuse facilitated by ideologues that would rather harm children to advance an agenda then wait and be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Daddy or chips or transgenderism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I read this the other day. Clearly a four year old is not undergoing a 'sex change'. It's referring to social transition, so changing name and everyone referring to them as a girl etc.

I have no idea what the basis for this is but going by previous cases it's probably something like they like dresses and stereotypical girls toys and the parents decided that means trans.. 4 years old is too young to understand something like this.

Advertisement