Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

19 Irish travellers arrested in major FBI operation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Where do travellers typically get their income from in order to live, in Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I said seizing every asset in a town is utter nonsense.

It simply is. It is making up law and applying it nonsensically.

I am not against any individual anywhere being investigated in a correct manner.

As a simple lay person, I must admit my knowledge of the legal system is severely limited. Maybe you can help me out.

If a member of any society who has no apparent legal income, who apparently does not pay income tax but who accepts financial aid from the State and can buy property, land, vehicles etc for cash.

Is that not evidence enough for a State organisation to investigate that persons ability to own such things?

Can the State seize any of that persons property and belongings that are not reasonably considered to have been procured legally based on that persons income and/or State financial aid?

What exactly is the purpose of the CAB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I wonder if they have Irish passports or are just "Irish travellers". There are loads of them over there if "The Riches" was anything to go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what the hell are travellers doing in South Carolina???

yes i know they're called travellers for a reason, but this is ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

fryup wrote: »

perhaps they were born there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Wibbs wrote:
    Talk about a non committal answer that avoids the obvious. You must be either a politician or a solicitor.

He's a solicitor :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I honestly think the government are happy to leave travellers alone with their short life expectancy, avoidance of education, crime rates, social welfare dependence and simultaneous unexplained assets because its far easier than doing anything about it.

And there's the eternal problems associated with free money. Once you give someone free cash and demand no responsibility in return, you create a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Anyone who has traveller friends knows about certain concessions and things but we can't prove it.It's not about wanting to dump travellers into trouble. It's the people handing them things on a plate, and turning a blind eye to the criminal element which gives the rest a bad name, that I and I think most people have a problem with. It's grossly unfair. So much for equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Rathkeale is a special case. You can't compare Rathkeale to a council estate of settled people if you know what the situation is in Rathkeale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It is nitpicking to observe out that a point was incorrect...
    In the face of a larger question, yeah.
    :D:D

Fair enough.

I am a Solicitor.
    Big shock :D
    Hence when I say the legal stuff here about rounding up assets in a town or the hysteria about what other people have to go through to buy a house is complete and utter nonsense, you can take it that it is. It's not an opinion, it's the law, conveyancing procedures etc. etc.
    Wood for the trees. That's the problem with this mindset. Great for the law. Detail work etc. Mostly. Wider picture? Next to bloody useless.

Again the plain fact is there are a fair number of individuals in our nation that with no obvious or declared means of support and in receipt of social welfare and who are seemingly able to purchase assets that would be very expensive for the majority of Irish people. Too many of same belong to a subsection of society and nobody seems to be asking the obvious questions. Never mind suggesting answers. That this kinda thing isn't hidden, indeed openly celebrated to nuclear levels of tacky makes it even more puzzling.

We had similar with the more sloppy and blindingly obvious of the criminal classes until the government finally pulled its finger out after high profile crimes like Veronica Guerin got murdered in broad daylight.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I said seizing every asset in a town is utter nonsense.

It simply is. It is making up law and applying it nonsensically.

I am not against any individual anywhere being investigated in a correct manner.

Ok. I'll bite.

Lets say that there are suspicions that certain elements of the community are involved in illegal things. Lets pretend that they are on social welfare and have been since they hit 18 years of age, and have 161 4x4's in the driveway, a €40k camper van in the driveway and a house.

Do you think then that they should be investigated to see how they are living beyond their means?

And if this section of the community happened to be travellers, would you be happy with them being investigated to see how they are living beyond their means?

Logical question.

No calls for sterilisation, blanket removing of assets etc. Just an investigation. And if found to be acting the fcuk, then punish them accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Does anyone remember TV3 doing a programme on the South Carolina travellers? It must be 2 or 3 years ago.

They were living a very affluent lifestyle, row of mansions where all the clan resided with big cars in the driveways. We never got a straight answer about where the income was coming from, vague old bullsh1t like construction companies etc. Apparently it's vulgar to inquire about such matters.

Watching it I was thinking that it was only going to be of matter of time before they were investigated.

Edit: I actually found a journal.ie article about it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-travellers-america-1039464-Aug2013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I know of one family who would be considered settled travellers and the kids all worked at different jobs when in school from grass cutting etc to washing windows and working in local shops and local farms helping out, the mother works part time as a house cleaner and earned as little as £2.50 an hour before minimum wage, these people work for everything they have, they lease a car as it saves on maintenance and they get a new car every 2 years, they go on one big 2week family holiday in the sun every year which is well planned and booked well in advance and paid for at least 6 months before they travel. everything is planned meticulously and it works very well for them. they may be travellers but you won't meet harder working more honest people in this or any other town!

Other people are capable of the same meticulous planning and are capable of the same honesty and hard work but they put their planning and efforts to more criminal and sinister tasks because it makes them a lot more money.

I know which family I'd happily move in beside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Wibbs wrote: »
    Again the plain fact is there are a fair number of individuals in our nation that with no obvious or declared means of support and in receipt of social welfare and who are seemingly able to purchase assets that would be very expensive for the majority of Irish people. Too many of same belong to a subsection of society and nobody seems to be asking the obvious questions. Never mind suggesting answers. That this kinda thing isn't hidden, indeed openly celebrated to nuclear levels of tacky makes it even more puzzling.

Cos it's racist to suggest that someone on the dole shouldn't be able to drive around like they're premiership footballers.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I know of one family who would be considered settled travellers and the kids all worked at different jobs when in school from grass cutting etc to washing windows and working in local shops and local farms helping out, the mother works part time as a house cleaner and earned as little as £2.50 an hour before minimum wage, these people work for everything they have, they lease a car as it saves on maintenance and they get a new car every 2 years, they go on one big 2week family holiday in the sun every year which is well planned and booked well in advance and paid for at least 6 months before they travel. everything is planned meticulously and it works very well for them. they may be travellers but you won't meet harder working more honest people in this or any other town!

Other people are capable of the same meticulous planning and are capable of the same honesty and hard work but they put their planning and efforts to more criminal and sinister tasks because it makes them a lot more money.

I know which family I'd happily move in beside!

This makes no sense.

The kids cut grass and the mother makes 2.50 an hour part time - yet that somehow pays for a new car every 2 years and pays off a holiday 6 months in advance.
    What does the father do? Cos neither the kids nor the mother are funding that shít!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Society is changing and some are getting the light bulb moment and realising that: setting up companys, vat numbers, public liability insurance, proper vans and equipment, employing people and the ones doing that are the ones with the cop on and intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

In the face of a larger question, yeah.

Big shock :D

Wood for the trees. That's the problem with this mindset. Great for the law. Detail work etc. Mostly. Wider picture? Next to bloody useless.

We had similar with the more sloppy and blindingly obvious of the criminal classes until the government finally pulled its finger out after high profile crimes like Veronica Guerin got murdered in broad daylight.

Some time ago a neighbours son died of cancer, he was only in his 20's and didn't die with much, but he did have a second hand car worth a couple of thousand which his mum gave the keys of to his sister who needed a car to get to work.
    A few weeks later revenue were writing to her demanding a probate list of the value of her brothers assets to determine if she owed any inheritance tax on the value of the asset she had acquired. They can be very quick to come knocking if they think they might be able to squeeze a few quid out of joe soap, but never seem all that curious about individuals with no discernible income driving new high end cars around Rathkeake for some reason. Probably because it’s too much like work and it’s far easier to put the screws to people you know will cough up at the first sign of an officious looking letter.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Society is changing and some are getting the light bulb moment and realising that: setting up companys, vat numbers, public liability insurance, proper vans and equipment, employing people and the ones doing that are the ones with the cop on and intelligence.

What do you mean?

Sorry, I mustn't be one of the ones with cop on or intelligence:)

This makes no sense.

The kids cut grass and the mother makes 2.50 an hour part time - yet that somehow pays for a new car every 2 years and pays off a holiday 6 months in advance.
    What does the father do? Cos neither the kids nor the mother are funding that shít!

Afaik he is on invalidity allowance and doesn't drive, he has had several operations on his spine to try to sort it out. they live quite frugally during the year and don't live like they own the town, they don't drink or smoke and have always been regarded as being good with money(savings). The kids are grown up now and working full time except for the youngest. The mother starts planning and saving for Christmas around Easter and will have most of her presents bought by Halloween, same with the holiday, it is planned and saved for from the previous year. every spare euro goes into one of the savings books in the credit union.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

conorhal wrote: »
    They can be very quick to come knocking if they think they might be able to squeeze a few quid out of joe soap, but never seem all that curious about individuals with no discernible income driving new high end cars around Rathkeake for some reason. Probably because it’s too much like work and it’s far easier to put the screws to people you know will cough up at the first sign of an officious looking letter.
    Plus hitting your average Joe or Josephine Soap is not likely to gather threats when they do. Plus they're of a fixed address so far easier to hit. And they care more about how they're seen in the wider community. Oh the revenue do like their low hanging fruit.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    every spare euro goes into one of the savings books in the credit union.
    Oh it can be done, if people live frugally. And if they pay little or no rent or the mortgage is paid off. This doesn't include brand new leased cars mind you. No way do those accounts square.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Indeed, but compare
    the trumpet blowing by Bertie at the time CAB et al was set up, 1996,

[ telling everyone what was going to happen once the laws came in: several billion Irish pounds left the State and went to places like Spain, along with the crime lords.]
    with
    the secrecy that surrounded the 1990 Dail debate that passed the legislation to protect the Great Beef Baron himself when the Export relief insurance thingy in Iraq went south.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Goodman

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Plus hitting your average Joe or Josephine Soap is not likely to gather threats when they do. Plus they're of a fixed address so far easier to hit. And they care more about how they're seen in the wider community. Oh the revenue do like their low hanging fruit.

Oh it can be done, if people live frugally. And if they pay little or no rent or the mortgage is paid off. This doesn't include brand new leased cars mind you. No way do those accounts square.

Not 100% that the cars are leased but they get a new one every two years, maybe got left money years ago and they get a good trade in deal on their old cars when they go to get a new one, it is also only a small car, fiat panda/Dacia type of thing. it can be done and is done by many people every year.

People with new caravans and new jeeps trucks and vans should be quizzed on where the money is coming from but in a country which had a finance minister with no bank account it is unlikely to ever happen, they can just say they gamble a lot and have had some good luck lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

If found guilty, I hope they get a prison sentence and not just kicked out of the Country.

They would be US citizens. The Murphy Village community emigrated from Ireland generations ago.

Born and raised there. However they cling to the old Irish Traveller traditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

On people.

Not entire towns.

On individuals. That's perfectly legitimate. Targetting a person because of
    geography is not.[/QUOte

when the poster referred to the town you know well enough what he meant , stop splitting hairs.
    if you have ever seen any of those programmes about traveller weddings or any of the other events where they flaunt their wealth you will know well enough what he means

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I heard this on the radio this morning, no mention of ethnicity, just referred to them as Irish citizens, and I thought to myself straight away, that'll be travellers and then I come on here, and yep, it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Traveller thread.... that's lasted 6 pages? :confused::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Ilovemybricks

Vel wrote: »
    I heard this on the radio this morning, no mention of ethnicity, just referred to them as Irish citizens, and I thought to myself straight away, that'll be travellers and then I come on here, and yep, it is!

Are we sure that they're even Irish and not Oirish?

"The Post and Courier reports that all but one of the accused come from a place called Murphy Village in Aiken County in South Carolina.

The area is home to one of the largest communities of Irish Travellers in the US, with about 1,400 living there, according to the 2010 US Census.

The Irish Traveller community in Murphy Village are believed to have descended from Irish immigrants to the US in the 1850s and are known for their closed ways."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

dd972 wrote: »
    Traveller thread.... that's lasted 6 pages? :confused::eek:

You're welcome. It's down to expert people skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

some application of common sense on you and other right on type's part would be welcome too.
    This seems to be what the denial boils down to - and you know, it's well meaning and not a bad thing to an extent. Personally I don't want to be insulting any group as a whole, I want to acknowledge that there are plenty of decent members (I have met some fantastic individuals who are travellers).

The huge problems within traveller culture (so angry and kinda ashamed, even though I know I shouldn't be, after reading about the thugs terrorising people in the UK - through slavery, wtf?! And the thugs running riot on a campsite in Germany recently too) are a reality though - travellers themselves often bear the worst brunt - and the disproportionate occurrences of these problems, and the impunity... it's a huge problem and it's not just in Ireland now.

The well meaning stuff turns into disingenuous pigheadedness when these facts are presented yet ignored or sneered at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Talk about a non committal answer that avoids the obvious. You must be either a politician or a solicitor.

no it's an accurate answer. he doesn't know how someone he doesn't know or has never met is getting all sorts even though they are on wellfare, but suggests they are doing it via claiming money they aren't entitled to or working on the side.
    fryup wrote: »

apparently these travelers are actually from "oh Carolina" and are descended from irish immigrants.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

O here he is now to defend the indefensible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Wrap it up, lads. Here's EOTR now, who won't answer any straightforward question put to him as per usual and will rattle out the same old lines. Wouldn't be surprised if he's working for Pavee Point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Id love to create a boards clone like boasds.ie and redirect certain users DNS there so they can wallow in their own echochamber ad nauseam.

As for the travellers and criminals in general, cashless society makes most of this pretty hard to hide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

ejabrod wrote: »
    That's not being abusive in my opinion but I guess that depends on your interpretation.

I never suggested removing assets from entire towns. I suggested travellers should be subject to the same rules as the rest of the population. That is not nonsense. If travellers live in one locality that is their choice.

Yes, I did have to prove to.my own bank before they would sign-off on the mortgage so don't tell me I'm wrong about something I had to do. My point is that travellers are not subjected to this scruitny - this is wrong in every way. Why am I held to a different standard? Why can a traveller buy a house with cash with no questions asked?

You may want to get off your high horse and accept the reality that the majority of travellers obtain what they have illegally.

A minority that cost the state a minimum of €5 million a week that have a better life than most of the employed in this country that ultimately pay for their lifestyle.

A point on this, Conor74 regularly engages in siding with the little people for the sake of it. Hi Conor!

My mother bought a house in cash in the last five years, it was from a sum of money left to her. She had a draft done up for the amount but the estate agent wanted her to put it from a direct bank transfer from her bank to his bank, so there was a paper trail on where the finance came from. From there it was up to the bank to show. So there is a need for a paper trail when buying a house, even in cash.
    To say you can buy anything with NO proof at all is a bit foolhardy. You can buy a car in Cash, but usually if your buying from a dealer they will ask for a draft or credit transfer for a new-ish car. Cash is fine for maybe 10K or less.
    Not for a 150K Merc CLS AMG.

allibastor wrote: »
    A point on this, Conor74 regularly engages in siding with the little people for the sake of it. Hi Conor!

So typical of the nonsense you see on these threads.

Grand. You got me. In objecting to sterilisation and rounding up the assets of towns, I am siding with the little people. In saying I have no objection to individuals being investigated, but not people based on background or address, I am siding with the little people.

But I do appreciate the example you gave. A poster said one had to prove the source of money to buy property. Which is nonsense. In the example you cited, an auctioneer stated he wanted a bank transfer - a very sensible practice - not proof of how she got it.

So typical of the nonsense you see on these threads.

Grand. You got me. In objecting to sterilisation and rounding up the assets of towns, I am siding with the little people. In saying I have no objection to individuals being investigated, but not people based on background or address, I am siding with the little people.

But I do appreciate the example you gave. A poster said one had to prove the source of money to buy property. Which is nonsense. In the example you cited, an auctioneer stated he wanted a bank transfer - a very sensible practice - not proof of how she got it.

Conor, it has been well pointed out that the usual rubbish of mass sterilisation and all that is just some small people with a flippant comment.

You made a point to say a town should not have it assets seized, again, no one said that but did say that as this particular town has an influx of cars worth 100K every year it would be a fair game spot for an INVESTIGATION.

The proof of the Auctioneer goes to he wants to know your money comes from the bank, the bank will know where the money came from in that point. If you actually are a solicitor you would know this very well.
    I have Cash saving now of a good few thousand euro, my bank want to see my SAVINGS STATEMENT for a mortgage, not just a page with one massive number.

As far as I am aware, in many cases where state assistance is granted to a family they need to be either on jobseekers, which means they reside in country and are looking for and available for work, disabled which means they cant work, or in receipt of a start your own business grant. All three of those, as an example would be very easy to prove where extra money comes from.

Thee and me have had some disagreements in the past, you tend to pick the most radical statements and then use them as your base for defence in the large.

The proof of the Auctioneer goes to he wants to know your money comes from the bank, the bank will know where the money came from in that point. If you actually are a solicitor you would know this very well.
    I have Cash saving now of a good few thousand euro, my bank want to see my SAVINGS STATEMENT for a mortgage, not just a page with one massive number.

I know the identity and anti fraud requirements.

When we take on a client, in our terms of engagement we obviously require proof of identity and address. We also clearly set out that if we suspect moneys furnished are obtained illegally, we have to report this, a classic example being under the table payments in a sale.

We do not, for obvious reasons, handle large amounts of cash, we deal in bank to bank. But to say we need to know where the money comes from, or that auctioneers do, is simply wrong. It is none of our concern. Nor are we delegating that investigation to the banks, which seems to be the suggestion here, the sort of "well you don't do it 'cos the banks may have done it". We often get money from overseas banks in places that probably have very lax requirements (I don't think you produce your savings book to Swiss banks, do you really think they do?).

Again, I know this because I deal with it. It is common sense. We have no authority to investigate the source of money, to say it is a requirement of a conveyance is wrong, your example of your dealing with your bank does not make it the law in conveyancing.

I know the identity and anti fraud requirements.

When we take on a client, in our terms of engagement we obviously require proof of identity and address. We also clearly set out that if we suspect moneys furnished are obtained illegally, we have to report this, a classic example being under the table payments in a sale.

We do not, for obvious reasons, handle large amounts of cash, we deal in bank to bank. But to say we need to know where the money comes from, or that auctioneers do, is simply wrong. It is none of our concern. Nor are we delegating that investigation to the banks, which seems to be the suggestion here, the sort of "well you don't do it 'cos the banks may have done it". We often get money from overseas banks in places that probably have very lax requirements (I don't think you produce your savings book to Swiss banks, do you really think they do?).

Again, I know this because I deal with it. It is common sense. We have no authority to investigate the source of money, to say it is a requirement of a conveyance is wrong, your example of your dealing with your bank does not make it the law in conveyancing.

Conor,

You are again missing a point and using a Nuclear option. In the case of conveyance, an auctioneer or solicitor will NOT as you said deal with or handle large amounts of Cash. They will request some form of transfer from either a bank or financial institute. failing that from a fund or solicitor. I agree that a solicitor may not be able to investigate, but someone can investigate if needs be.

The purpose of not dealing with cash directly is that this creates a paper trail. If you are asked tomorrow to supply evidence for an investigation you can say " Johnny bought a house through me, his funds came from bank XYZ". The investigators can then go to bank XYZ and look at where the money came from, was it all cash lodgements, from a job, etc.

I am sure you CAN buy a house with cash, as in pure simple paper money, but do you know many solicitors who will deal with 50-250K in pure unaccounted cash?

No, I am sure my Swiss bank account would be audited from here, but at least someone, somewhere can see that my money came from a Swiss bank. In the case of the travellers as mentioned in the OP and following on, they use complete cash with no proof required of generation, and in many cases are reliant on welfare, which is a simple calculation of how much could be saved, IE. 188 a week over 520 weeks is still 97760 euro. That means that someone saving all a basic dole for ten years will have this much. I dont think this will buy you that new Merc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Floppybits

How can someone apparently in need of and in receipt of social welfare can be able to afford a large purchase like a new car, mobile home or house? Often all three. Now that's a really simple question, which should require a really simple answer, unless of course we're going down the rabbit hole of deflection nonsense about culture or ethnicity or bigotry or any of that to cover up the bloody obvious.

I can't answer for the person who has a new car on the dole no more than I can answer how so many families from council estates seem to get 1 or 2 holidays in the sun every year. I'd suspect a mix of nixers and drawing down money that they are not entitled to.

But I wouldn't say seize everything in Dublin. I would have no qualms about social protection carrying out checks on a case by case basis, on either the family in Rathkeale or indeed the family in Tallaght.

Why Tallaght? What's wrong with Tallaght? Do you have something against the people of Tallaght?

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    Why Tallaght? What's wrong with Tallaght? Do you have something against the people of Tallaght?

Tallaght, from memory actually has a good few working families who bought out their council house in the 80's and 90's if I am not mistaken.

I think Conors point to be fair was should investigator not look at Tallaght for odd claims as they would Rathkeale. I know from people who live in Tallaght, that in fact social welfare do inspect people up there !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Discovering the source of the money is the ultimate solution to the pro and anti traveller debate. Now that's not a racist comment (as traveller is not a race anyway), but it was good enough to bring down Al Capone and Irish counterparts such as The General, Monk, Hutch etc.

FFS, when I applied to SUSI for assistance with my lad going to college, I had to account for every source of income, savings and asset in my possession

If they have nothing to worry about, they should not fear an investigation

Discovering the source of the money is the ultimate solution to the pro and anti traveller debate. Now that's not a racist comment (as traveller is not a race anyway), but it was good enough to bring down Al Capone and Irish counterparts such as The General, Monk, Hutch etc.

FFS, when I applied to SUSI for assistance with my lad going to college, I had to account for every source of income, savings and asset in my possession

If they have nothing to worry about, they should not fear an investigation

It is for this finance instance only. The whole segregation from the community as a main or the other issues still need to be ironed out !!!

And anytime money investigations are looked at, it is looked at racist to ask how they earn their money as its part of the "culture"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

It is for this finance instance only. The whole segregation from the community as a main or the other issues still need to be ironed out !!!

And anytime money investigations are looked at, it is looked at racist to ask how they earn their money as its part of the "culture"

Everybody is asked to account for their money in the settled community. PAYE workers, Self Employed, Social Welfare recipients and Corporations. There will always be 'segregation' in attitude until the settled community are given the same treatment as travellers with regard to finance. Equality is a two way street

Everybody is asked to account for their money in the settled community. PAYE workers, Self Employed, Social Welfare recipients and Corporations. There will always be 'segregation' in attitude until the settled community are given the same treatment as travellers with regard to finance. Equality is a two way street

Exactly, I mean as pointed out earlier, if I go to buy a house, at some point the paper trail is needed, not just rock up to an auctioneer with 200K in my back pocket !

You are getting abusive and insulting.

It's an anonymous forum. Rein it in a little, people will have different opinions.

Your point about the deposit was wrong. You may have to prove it to your own bank in the context of raising finance, as opposed to the purchase. But when paying the deposit in the course of the conveyance, the auctioneer or solicitor will not demand proof of where it came from.

I don't have to explain to you why I am against nonsense like removing assets from entire towns or sterilisation. But if you must know, it's simply an application of common sense.
    during a revenue inspection i had to prove to revenue where i got money for all assets as did some other people i know
    if a traveller or any person was on the dole and living visibly way beyond their means what would your defence be if revenue brought them to court

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

during a revenue inspection i had to prove to revenue where i got money for all assets as did some other people i know
    if a traveller or any person was on the dole and living visibly way beyond their means what would your defence be if revenue brought them to court

If Connor is indeed a solicitor, his defence would possibly be to twist whatever was said during examination to mean something different and harp on that his client didn't have a fair go at life. That because of hardship endured due the the racism hurled at his client by settled society made it impossible for his client to be held to the same standard and scruitny as the rest of us.This may explain why Connor is so quick to defend the 'helpless' traveller who is entitled to everything (and more) but responsible for nothing. (possibly)...i could go on but won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,503 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Travellers have Swiss bank accounts now? :)

Not your ornery onager

If Connor is indeed a solicitor, his defence would possibly be to twist whatever was said during examination to mean something different and harp on that his client didn't have a fair go at life. That because of hardship endured due the the racism hurled at his client by settled society made it impossible for his client to be held to the same standard and scruitny as the rest of us.This may explain why Connor is so quick to defend the 'helpless' traveller who is entitled to everything (and more) but responsible for nothing. (possibly)...i could go on but won't
    ya the usual sh1te in other words. everybody else's fault but theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,409 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How do they earn their loot, sorry, I mean money? You telling me that everything is above board in that town?

In America, there’s a clause which allows you to insure anyone with a blood connection – and as they have inbred for generations, there’s a likelihood there will be a blood connection. So basically it's a loophole state side.
    Everyone has a policy on someone. Soon as they die the policy holder scores big.

No it wouldn't.

You wouldn't know the first thing about how a defence to a revenue case is presented, and frankly I could try and explain it to you but you'd still make up stuff, like your claim that the source of finances needs to be proved in a conveyancing transaction when as a matter of law it does not. Anyway, "not having a fair go at life" would certainly not be a valid defence.

Still though, all an improvement on your sterilisation point which even those who have different views to mine have pointed out is nonsense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement