Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'forced' internships

Options
  • 19-11-2014 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Seriously contemplating making a complaint to the ombudsman re:fas person contacting me practically forcing internships down my throat,as it is I am actively seeking work,I have my degree.I have had interviews,in fact I have another one this week,I am doing my utmost to find a job,I feel under serious pressure from the person who contacted me when in fact all they want to do is massage the figures.
    When questioned as regards what the internship was I was told the details were "confidential", I mean they expect me to forward CV for something that I don't even know what it is
    I am furious, any useful advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Fas have an Ombudsman? And are still Fas?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mountsky wrote: »
    Seriously contemplating making a complaint to the ombudsman re:fas person contacting me practically forcing internships down my throat,as it is I am actively seeking work,I have my degree.I have had interviews,in fact I have another one this week,I am doing my utmost to find a job,I feel under serious pressure from the person who contacted me when in fact all they want to do is massage the figures.
    When questioned as regards what the intetnship I was told the details were "confidential", I mean they expect me to forward CV for something that I don't even know what it is

How long are you on benefits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I suggest asking here OP; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

As you will be eaten alive in After Hours ;)

I don't think it's fair to be asked for your CV without telling you what it is for. That's just weird. Is it a specific internship or are they just asking you for your CV to match an internship for you?

IF I were you, I would use every single opportunity to get a job. You won't get very far on a degree alone. Work experience is absolutely essential. Take it, use it, learn all you can and continue to work for a job while you are at it. It shows initiative and willingness to learn/progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP I know you aren't thrilled about this internship. But the fact is if you are long term unemployed, your degree is a piece of paper to a potential employer. The biggest burden to getting a job is not lack of skills or experience, but lack of relevant experience. If you are unemployed for more the 6 months, the chances of you finding a job are very slim. See the internship as a step to a decent job because without recent experience, you aren't going to get a job too easily

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

They can make you apply to them.
    They cannot guarantee you will be hired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you say no to these people they'll report you to social welfare.
    Might be seem as a refusal of a job offer.

Even in the boom times they had the bottom of the barrel jobs,God knows what they're like now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

Stheno wrote: »
    How long are you on benefits?

Less than one year

The bit that teeeed me off was when I enquired about what the internship was for,I was told it was confidential, like come on,ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Fas have an Ombudsman? And are still Fas?

The FAS name was changed to Solas because of the corruption and robbery of taxpaying citizens monies. FAS heads were ingratiating and lubricating themselves with monies that were stolen from the tax-paying citizen, obviously, so the previous government tried to stealth-cover the old corrupt name by giving it a new name - called Solas.

They cannot force you to do jobsbridge, but they can force you to do a course instead. So, basically you have two options...Take a course, or do jobsbridge, there is no other way. It's one or the other realistically speaking.

The FAS name was changed to Solas because of the corruption and robbery of taxpaying citizens monies. FAS heads were ingratiating and lubricating themselves with monies that were stolen from the tax-paying citizen, obviously, so the previous government tried to stealth-cover the old corrupt name by giving it a new name - called Solas.

They cannot force you to do jobsbridge, but they can force you to do a course instead. So, basically you have two options...Take a course, or do jobsbridge, there is no other way. It's one or the other realistically speaking.

When I met the FAS officer a number of months ago I was told "oh,very gooooood,you have a degree", I just said yes, indeed it is...
    Its a paid job I need not some bs intetnship,I am furious and insulted to think they can muck people around like this,to say its degrading is an understatement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Don't forget, if you do not want to do Jobsbridge.. 'if it is not suitable for you' then you can simply tell your Solas adviser that it is not suitable for you. Pick a course that you are interested in that could benefit you personally. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭worded

Do a spud interview

Trainspotting spud´s interview - YouTube
    m.youtube.com/watch?v=LsL2Zp7xOwY

https://www.google.ie/search?q=spud+job+interview&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have my degree.
    What's it a degree in, and what grade did you get? Also, are you on linkedin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭worded

At interview congratulate the organisation for their choice of shinny floors and tell them you look forward to sliding along them.

True situations

Was at an interview for a job once and staff looked v stressed, I realised I had no interest in working there. I was asked what was my greatest strength and I replied juggling :-)

I was interview in a small board room with a huge table.
    So what would you think of working here?
    I said i could get used to an office like this.

Needless to say there was no job offer :-)

the_syco wrote: »
    What's it a degree in, and what grade did you get? Also, are you on linkedin?

Yes,1:1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

When I met the FAS officer a number of months ago I was told "oh,very gooooood,you have a degree", I just said yes, indeed it is...
    Its a paid job I need not some bs intetnship,I am furious and insulted to think they can muck people around like this,to say its degrading is an understatement

Your attitude is diplorable. I wouldn't hire you at all with that kind of thinking.

You expect to come out of college with a degree and the world will just throw jobs at you?

Unless you have a degree in computer science or the likes, you are going to find it very difficult to get a paid job.

Get off your high horse and work to get a paid job. What have you actually done apart from earning your degree to get a job?

FAS, Solas, whatever they are called now, should tell you what is involved in the internship. If they do not, tell them you are not interested and look for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Yes,1:1

A degree in Yes. Don't know if there's many jobs in that sector right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

There are always jobs for yes men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

When questioned as regards what the internship was I was told the details were "confidential", I mean they expect me to forward CV for something that I don't even know what it is

Work experience trumps the degree at this stage OP. I'd just do it if I were you - if you find a job while you're on it, take it and there's nothing lost shur. If you don't, you might get offered something with the place you're doing the internship if you impress. Even if not, the experience will make you far more attractive to potential employers. Besides, if it's a jobsbridge you do get the extra 50 a week, no more signing on and you get the money in the bank each week.

Internships are a pain in the hole - no argument there (I'm on one myself) - but they do seem to be a reality now and I'm not sure the genie is going to be put back in the bottle now. Might as well make the most of it and try to rack up some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

yep just send in your cv and see what the internship is about, I too have a degree and more than 30 years working, i too got of my high horse over 2 years ago and there are not many jobs out there, particulary if you live outside dublin. In fact it would be fair to say I would be happy to scrub out the local gents toilet after kicking out time if it meant getting a wage, until you have been made unemployed you just dont get it!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

There's thousands more like you with the same shiny degrees looking for jobs, and the fact of the matter is that the ones who slog through the internship to gain some experience and do whatever it is they have to do are the ones that will get the paid jobs. It's not 2006 - a sense of entitlement will get you nowhere right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭RoboRat

hfallada wrote: »
    OP I know you aren't thrilled about this internship. But the fact is if you are long term unemployed, your degree is a piece of paper to a potential employer. The biggest burden to getting a job is not lack of skills or experience, but lack of relevant experience. If you are unemployed for more the 6 months, the chances of you finding a job are very slim. See the internship as a step to a decent job because without recent experience, you aren't going to get a job too easily

So true. I done my degree and took my first job for £15,000 p/a back in 2000, it had little to do with my degree but it was a job. I had to rent as it was 200km from my home and basically lived hand to mouth for the first year but I done it because it was the only way to get a foot on the ladder.

I stayed back late every night training myself and taking any course I could get on - If they were paying me peanuts, I was making up for it with the amount they were spending on training me but it facilitated me moving to a better job, then a better job and then to my current position.

Far too many grads coming out looking for the perfect job straight away, truth is that you will have to work through a lot of **** jobs to get the one you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

I am not a grad and I don't have a job, what really annoys me is companys that advertis for graduate positions, what the hell is wrong with old timers like me who will work hard and not complain, over 30 years work experience is not to be sniffed at. I hope my internship works out for me, but if it dos'ent at least i know I gave it my best shot. more power to my keyboard lol the only way is up kiddo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I am not a grad and I don't have a job, what really annoys me is companys that advertis for graduate positions, what the hell is wrong with old timers like me who will work hard and not complain, over 30 years work experience is not to be sniffed at. I hope my internship works out for me, but if it dos'ent at least i know I gave it my best shot. more power to my keyboard lol the only way is up kiddo

I would 100% take on somebody with relevant work experience and a hard working attitude over a graduate any day. I think the internships are a good idea when they are not abused (and there are some companies that are abusing it). If you knuckle down, work hard and make yourself as indispensable as possible a company would be mad not to take you on.

Best of luck with it old timer :-)

The point is that the FAS person wouldn't tell me what it was, very simple

Im not at liberty to divulge that information your honour!I refuse to give out my details on a public forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

strange that they won't tell what the internship is - maybe secret service;)

apply for it if you can get further info from them, if nothing else it gets them off your back. there's no guarantee of getting it btw.

and keep interviewing and applying for jobs. good luck

strange that they won't tell what the internship is - maybe secret service;)

apply for it if you can get further info from them, if nothing else it gets them off your back. there's no guarantee of getting it btw.

and keep interviewing and applying for jobs. good luck
    I was told it was confidential!Unreal,I am still waiting on the FAS person to let me know what it is,so,maybe the person thought it was something suitable and now realises it wasn't,who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

In my experience, graduate position means low paying rather than only for fresh out of college young folks.
    I have seen one company though (might have been IBM) that specified that anyone finished college for more than 24 months would not be considered for a graduate position.

Im not at liberty to divulge that information your honour!I refuse to give out my details on a public forum

The field your degree is in is hardly personal details. You can hardly expect much sympathy for not having a job when your degree could be something like Communications from an IT

• Advertisement

In my experience, graduate position means low paying rather than only for fresh out of college young folks.
    I have seen one company though (might have been IBM) that specified that anyone finished college for more than 24 months would not be considered for a graduate position

The field your degree is in is hardly personal details. You can hardly expect much sympathy for not having a job when your degree could be something like Communications from an IT

I dont recall mentioning 'sympathy'. That's it though jeanie, go you!Spot on,fair play to ya and well done ;)

Advertisement