Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

If Sony want the biggest exclusive of them all then the ****ers should bring back G-Police. Console war would be over straight away
    I think we're all missing out on the big story here.

Bethesda are owned by Microsoft, Obisdian are owned by Microsoft........ Fall Out New Vegas 2.

I love New Vegas as much as anyone, but I want to see where Obsidian go with an Outer Worlds sequel. Considering the reduced scope and budget, the first was a really solid start to a potentially great series.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bethesda are owned by Microsoft, Obisdian are owned by Microsoft........ Fall Out New Vegas 2.

I'd be surprised if this doesn't happen tbh. Seems an easy sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭McFly85

Markitron wrote: »
    In the context of this discussion, I would define the bigger game as the one more likely to shift consoles as an exclusive to one platform.

In that regard, Bloodborne is almost certainly the bigger game IMO.

Yep, this is in what context I was thinking. In terms of being a system seller, the elder scrolls or possibly fallout if (they could get their act together)would be the big franchises. Could see the others being cool exclusives but not a reason to invest in the console for.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if this doesn't happen tbh. Seems an easy sell.

Obsidian aren't huge and are (likely) developing a sequel to the Other Worlds as well as that new skyrim-looking RPG. If it does happen it could take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Let's see if Bethesda can get back to their best tbf. They've been going downhill for years. It's a long time since Skyrim which wasn't close to being as good as Oblivion or Morrowind imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,827 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

McFly85 wrote: »
    Yep, this is in what context I was thinking. In terms of being a system seller, the elder scrolls or possibly fallout if (they could get their act together)would be the big franchises. Could see the others being cool exclusives but not a reason to invest in the console for.

I'd imagine a new Skyrim would be one of the biggest system sellers ever.

I don't get it myself but the amount of people who loved that game is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

So, out of the biggest publishers, MS seem to have done deals with EA & Bungie and now have aquired Bethesda. wonder if there will be any ties announced to the 'games as a service' kings, Ubisoft, coming down the line? Siege, division, for honor, ghost recon, all still have a very engaged following.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TitianGerm wrote: »

I don't get it myself but the amount of people who loved that game is ridiculous.

Yupp , same, no interest in it but absolute system seller. If it was definite exclusive, they would/should plaster it all over the web today to push people to pre-order tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

recyclops wrote: »
    the one Sony exclusive i love to play is everybodys golf, countless times its been attempted to be replicated nobody has ever come close sadly

Everybodys Golf World Tour is the greatest game ever made, when they turned off the servers a little piece of me died

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭McFly85

I put in 20 or so hours into the switch version but it didn’t grab me, but I know people who’ve sunk thousands of hours into it.

So yeah, a new Skyrim game and New Vegas 2 would be massive. Probably wouldn’t convince me personally, but would completely understand that shifting a fair few consoles.

• Advertisement

That's remarkable news, probably the most significant event going into the new generation.

It's gonna take a while to digest.

There will be a minimum of 14 years between Skyrim and the next in the series. The console gen will be more or less over by the time TES6 releases, that is not a series I would be counting on to shift consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Can you imagine if this was done sooner and Microsoft said the next Doom game was an Xbox exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Can you imagine if this was done sooner and Microsoft said the next Doom game was an Xbox exclusive.

Wouldnt really matter to me, id just get it on PC either way, FPS's on console are muck.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I can't imagine that would have much of an effect at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

An Elder Scroll game would be as big of an exclusive as you can get (outside 1st party titles like Mario, Halo, Last of Us etc...). Same with Fallout.

Would they now be classed as 1st party? :confused:

• Administrators Posts: 53,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McFly85 wrote: »
    I put in 20 or so hours into the switch version but it didn’t grab me, but I know people who’ve sunk thousands of hours into it.

So yeah, a new Skyrim game and New Vegas 2 would be massive. Probably wouldn’t convince me personally, but would completely understand that shifting a fair few consoles.

I can't deal with the vastness of it, with no real direction, and the RPG elements are extreme.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308062702905044993?s=19

Personally, I think those "case by cases" will be few and far between.

They pulled the same with all their acquisitions so far, don't think they ever came out and said fully exclusive for any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

awec wrote: »
    I can't deal with the vastness of it, with no real direction, and the RPG elements are extreme.

Nearly every quest gives you very clear direction and waypoints on the map...:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The people saying Bloodborne is bigger than anything Bethesda have are pathetic and laughable.

All I have to say to them is that Bethesda own Wet.

Microsoft would own the next gen with Wet 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    Nearly every quest gives you very clear direction and waypoints on the map...:confused:

It's still so big though. After an hour, there's about 40 quests in your journal, which I have to say, is actually off putting to me these days. I loved Skyrim, but the idea of starting something similar now is not something I want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CatInABox wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308062702905044993?s=19

Personally, I think those "case by cases" will be few and far between.

They pulled the same with all their acquisitions so far, don't think they ever came out and said fully exclusive for any of them.

It's basically the Rare deal. Finish up your exclusives and then you work for us.

Same with the case by case basis. Basically the games will come to consoles they aren't competing with, like Rare games on GBA while still with MS. Probably means switch ports as long as MS don't see nintendo as a competitor and maybe retrogames and large Multiplayer and service games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭Cordell

I so wish that this artificial platform exclusives BS to be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The people saying Bloodborne is bigger than anything Bethesda have are pathetic and laughable.

All I have to say to them is that Bethesda own Wet.

Microsoft would own the next gen with Wet 2.
    **** you, I had a lot of fun with Wet and would happily add it to my list of AA games from the 7th gen I'll revisit again in a few years. :pac:

gizmo wrote: »
    **** you, I had a lot of fun with Wet and would happily add it to my list of AA games from the 7th gen I'll revisit again in a few years. :pac:

Someone has to love it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,086 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be interesting to see how MS play it.

Any titles will go on GamePass, and MS have a 7.5billion aquisition to pay for. I don't know if Game Pass can cover that! Based on the numbers, it has to be considered that they would like to my a big % on sales of certain PS5 games. I have no doubt we are going to see exclusives, and that most of them will be exclusives, but I do think we will see games on PS5 from these studios.

If you look at their Obsidian exclusive RPG they have coming, could they allow Fallout/ES titles to be multi-platform and make money of it? Have Doom exclusive and Wolfenstein multi-plat? ie. You like this game? Well there is another in that type over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,258 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Will be interesting to see how MS play it.

Any titles will go on GamePass, and MS have a 7.5billion aquisition to pay for. I don't know if Game Pass can cover that! Based on the numbers, it has to be considered that they would like to my a big % on sales of certain PS5 games. I have no doubt we are going to see exclusives, and that most of them will be exclusives, but I do think we will see games on PS5 from these studios.

I think it's more likely we'll see more of the Fallout 76 monetisation practices in their future games, with MS getting a substantial cut of.

Also remains to be seen if the games will be exclusive to Windows Game Store or whatever it's called on PC. Taking those games off Steam/Epic could definitely bring in a lot of revenue on the PC side of things rather than what they would have gotten from PS5.

I don't think MS would have paid $7.5bn if there was a chance the games would be on PS5 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Penn wrote: »
    I think it's more likely we'll see more of the Fallout 76 monetisation practices in their future games, with MS getting a substantial cut of.

Also remains to be seen if the games will be exclusive to Windows Game Store or whatever it's called on PC. Taking those games off Steam/Epic could definitely bring in a lot of revenue on the PC side of things rather than what they would have gotten from PS5.

I don't think MS would have paid $7.5bn if there was a chance the games would be on PS5 as well.

Can't see the PC versions going Windows Store exclusive, they don't do that for their own releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,086 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If they are considered first party titles, they will be on GamePass on Xbox and PC. So from a PC perspective any new titles will be in that GamePass environment.

As to whether there is a 'chance' of titles on PS5 - it would be a choice from MS, to make money from PS5 users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Well, now that they own fallout 76, technically they get all monies from any monetization.
    As for stores, in recent months, they've actually been actively making their games available on steam, to get away from forcing people to use the microsoft store. Naturally, these are all going to be in gamepass in the future, so you'll be heading there if you have a sub, the real question is why you'd bother buying them on steam if you get them included in gamepass.

To be fair to them, they've not utterly ruined Minecraft, and instead have helped it grow and have ushered in spinoffs like dungeons and the telltale thing.

I'm happier to see Microsoft get these studios than someone like EA or Activision, who'd likely ride them into the ground.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement