Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50,000 illegal migrants could be heading to our fair and green little island nation.

• 21-11-2014 2:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

But fear not if you are of a xenophobic disposition.

For they are our own illegal migrants.

From The Irish Times

Obama paves way for illegal Irish immigrants to visit home

President Barack Obama has unveiled temporary measures allowing millions of illegal immigrants, including, it is estimated, thousands of Irish, to live and work in the US without the risk of being deported.

The proposals include a relaxation of restrictions allowing qualifying Irish immigrants to travel between the US and Ireland, ending – for some – years of missing important family occasions.

Full Article

Great news for those who will be able to return home for visits and family occasions.

Its going to be an extra happy Christmas in a lot of households around the country this year!

I know a few people over there who haven't been home in 20 years, although one or two have chanced it and got away with it.

Others have no intention of ever coming back but at least they'll be able to live and work over there without looking over their shoulder all the time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bummer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Might be a good time to buy a few share in Aer Lingus ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

I wouldn't count on it just yet. The Republicans will do everything to block it. In any case it'll be a while before the legislation will get through.

I could also do without 50,000 Irish people coming home telling us how great their life is in America and what a hole Ireland is.

Also any of them could have come home at any stage. That was never the issue. It was getting back in was the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

folbotcar wrote: »
    I could also do without 50,000 Irish people with american accents coming home telling us how great their life is in America and what a hole Ireland is.

FYP

I have family over there who moved there in the 60's. They come home to visit and keep telling everyone how amazing their life is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Grayson wrote: »
    FYP

They come home to visit and keep telling everyone how amazing their life is.

I used to do that .. then I realised I was being an a$$.

Now I tell people I eat beans out of a hat with a shovel and when we get on public transport each seat has pedals and we all have to pedal otherwise we don't get to the mines on time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

And feck that with Aer Lingus shares, teeth whitening shares will be where the clever money is as we all try to out smile the visitors from across the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ruu wrote: »

Jaysus she must be made of money, Immersion, lights on all over the place, electric rads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Suppose the question will have to eventually be solved that if Obama is helping the undocumented Irish, eventually we will have to find a solution or answer to the direct provision set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Even if the legislation were to pass today would they be able to make avail of it for Christmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If anyone wants to Google this they'll see that Obama is using an executive order, no need for congress to pass anything. He may as well use them for the next couple of years with the way congress is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

They will have to build a new runway at shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,928 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wonder what they will think when they get back? Big changes on the auld sod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

If anyone wants to Google this they'll see that Obama is using an executive order, no need for congress to pass anything. He may as well use them for the next couple of years with the way congress is.

Yup, you are right. That is going to make him popular wiht congress and no doubt start a few lawsuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Them paddies will be coming over here drinking and fighting and getting everyone pregnant.

Yup, you are right. That is going to make him popular wiht congress and no doubt start a few lawsuits.

Dunno why he'd care tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The local radio station here had a Donegal man who’s loving in upper NY state for fifty odd years on to talk about the weather. Subject turned to Obama and the presenter asked about his thoughts, expecting the usual 'Ah shure isn't if great for the poor creaturs that canny come home' palaver, but your man says 'If they didn't come here legally like I did they should be deported!'

Presenter, hesitates for a minute, obviously gobsmacked, 'so is the weather supposed to improve next week?' D

I'd say there's quite a few share this man's sentiments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people can gloss over the 'illegal' part of the term 'illegal immigrants'

Why all the sympathy and support for 'letting them off'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

a Donegal man who’s loving in upper NY state for fifty odd years
    He must have gotten hundreds of people pregnant over that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

ScumLord wrote: »
    He must have gotten hundreds of people pregnant over that time.
    There isn't a quota on it is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Can we just send them on to Australia to join the rest of our no-hopers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Can we just send them on to Australia to join the rest of our no-hopers?

Must be nice to have a job for life and a nice pension...otherwise there is every chance you may become one of these "no-hopers".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

People coming back to spend time with their families and spending money here. Sounds terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how so many people can gloss over the 'illegal' part of the term 'illegal immigrants'

The trick is to call them "undocumented migrants" and assume that people are too dumb to know the score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

It might be a trap..."Just come in, admit you're here illegally and everything will be grand..you can travvel home and then come back....50k people hop on a jumbo and then BLAM! they slam the doors shut with an evil laugh and go "So long, suckers!"......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

No no no they are undocumented. You have to be Eastern European to be illegal immigrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Are these Yanks gonna take my land?

*loads shotgun*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Are these Yanks gonna take my land?

*loads shotgun*

Well they're not getting my field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So break the laws of the country and get rewarded, it's a real smack in the eye to people who followed the correct immigration procedure.

I heard someone on the radio this morning whinging that the same should be done here for the illegals we have hiding among us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

So break the laws of the country and get rewarded, it's a real smack in the eye to people who followed the correct immigration procedure.

I heard someone on the radio this morning whinging that the same should be done here for the illegals we have hiding among us.

Why don't you find out where some of the families of these people live, hide in wait for them outside the house and then when the children finally return to see their parents and loved ones, you can jump out and give them a good talking to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Suppose the question will have to eventually be solved that if Obama is helping the undocumented Irish, eventually we will have to find a solution or answer to the direct provision set up.

Yes there is, put a stop to them having endless appeals at taxpayers expense.

That's why the whole process drags on for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

But let me guess, if America starts deportations, we shouldn't do that cos it's wacist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Ben D Bus wrote: »

Have you never noticed how the Mexicans are 'illegal immigrants' but the Irish are 'undocumented'?

:mad:

Grayson wrote: »
    FYP

I have family over there who moved there in the 60's. They come home to visit and keep telling everyone how amazing their life is.

Aye while every house they visit puts out a spread. Everyone wants things to.appear good and it's just more noticeable if it's about another country.

Anyways, very bitter thread here.. Accurate and but really exacting by the book hatred.

• Advertisement
Advertisement